Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aquarium frog

Options
  • 19-07-2015 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought a few more fish for my tank from petworld recently. They had a couple of little frogs which they said don't grow very big and don't bother the fish so we bought one.
    We looked it up and it's either an African dwarf frog or African clawed frog...it seems the latter does get quite big and would eat his tank colleagues....eek!!

Would you suggest moving him to another tank before he gets big or leave him and see what happens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Here he is on his own and also with his tank mates to give an idea of size!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Firstly, the tank doesn't look to be big enough for the fish - if you have 4 goldfish, you need about 240 - 300 litres.

Secondly, the frog will get out-competed for food by the fish. The only thing suitable to keep with goldfish is other goldfish.

Silverfish wrote: »
    Firstly, the tank doesn't look to be big enough for the fish - if you have 4 goldfish, you need about 240 - 300 litres.

Secondly, the frog will get out-competed for food by the fish. The only thing suitable to keep with goldfish is other goldfish.

Ok thanks I have a second tank that I'll move him into!

Ok thanks I have a second tank that I'll move him into!

I'd say he might be happier - there's a chance the fish might harass him a bit and I know frogs get distressed quite easily, so if he's on his own he'll probably be more content.

I'd say he might be happier - there's a chance the fish might harass him a bit and I know frogs get distressed quite easily, so if he's on his own he'll probably be more content.

The seem to all ignore each other at the moment thankfully.

I'm a bit worried that the tank is too small for the fish though, i measured it recently with an online calculator and it seems to be around 112 litres. I did some reading and thought that was ok....oops. The woman in petworld said it was fine but maybe she mis-understood.

The larger fish have been in it for 8months ish and we bought the little one at the same time as the frog about 4 weeks ago.

Should I get another (3rd!!) tank for 2 of them?

• Advertisement

The seem to all ignore each other at the moment thankfully.

I'm a bit worried that the tank is too small for the fish though, i measured it recently with an online calculator and it seems to be around 112 litres. I did some reading and thought that was ok....oops. The larger fish have been in it for 8months ish and we bought the little one at the same time as the frog about 4 weeks ago.

Should I get another (3rd!!) tank for 2 of them?

Slippery slope there!

Can you invest in one big tank? I started out with a 110L, now I have 3 goldies in a 350L which seems big, but they still seem a bit overcrowded at times!
    I just kept checking all the aquarium shops for sales and reduced tanks til I eventually got one in my price range. It makes all the difference when you watch your fish grow into big healthy fish!

If they would fit into one big tank that would be perfect!
    Then froggy could have the original one to himself!!

Do you think he will grow much?

If they would fit into one big tank that would be perfect!
    Then froggy could have the original one to himself!!

Do you think he will grow much?

hard to tell - usually any fish or frogs you see in the shops are babies so they can grow a good bit - thankfully they will grow regardless of the tank size so if he does get big you can upgrade then.

hard to tell - usually any fish or frogs you see in the shops are babies so they can grow a good bit - thankfully they will grow regardless of the tank size so if he does get big you can upgrade then.

That's great advice thanks. I'll get the big tank you suggested and let froggy have the current one all to himself.

I'll be back to show off my new tank pics soon! Thanks again :D

One last question! I've seen a 340L tank second-hand for 500...Would it be ok to buy a second hand tank?

• Advertisement

One last question! I've seen a 340L tank second-hand for 500...Would it be ok to buy a second hand tank?

Yep, absolutely! Once there's no cracks or serious scratches on the glass, second hand is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hate to break it to you but that frog looks like a Clawed Frog to me, not a Dwarf Frog. CFs grow up to 6 inches and will eat fish, so it's good that you've got them separated. CFs are also NOT fully aquatic like ADFs, they need somewhere to pull out of the water and rest. You can tell the difference because DFs don't have bugged-out eyes and CFs do, also one will grow massive and eat your fish.

kylith wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you but that frog looks like a Clawed Frog to me, not a Dwarf Frog. CFs grow up to 6 inches and will eat fish, so it's good that you've got them separated. CFs are also NOT fully aquatic like ADFs, they need somewhere to pull out of the water and rest. You can tell the difference because DFs don't have bugged-out eyes and CFs do, also one will grow massive and eat your fish.

I managed to get a good photo of him this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Albino, no webbed front feet, buggy eyes; my money's definitely on Clawed Frog.

Left: ADF - Right: ACF
    4967644_f520.jpg

Oh he's the image of the one on the right! I haven't moved him yet -waiting for a bigger tank for the fish and was going to leave him in that tank for himself- but I'll move him to the smaller tank today for the time being before he starts eating them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Oh he's the image of the one on the right! I haven't moved him yet -waiting for a bigger tank for the fish and was going to leave him in that tank for himself- but I'll move him to the smaller tank today for the time being before he starts eating them!
    Well if you add radioactive slime he'll eat pizza instead :P

Nody wrote: »
    Well if you add radioactive slime he'll eat pizza instead :P

Danger with that is you could end up with 3 more of them and a rat using your house as some sort of HQ.

Advertisement