Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on whining dog in car

• 19-07-2015 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Hey we just got a rescue dog a week ago and all things are going well except when we take the dog in car in the morning. She jumps into car just fine and dispite a bit a struggle due to being excited she allows us to attach her to seat belt relatively easy. The problem starts as we start driving she begins to cry and whine all the way until we get to destination, which is usually the dog park. Once she is out all is well and she gets some exercise. The trip back usually she is quiet but maybe a whimper or 2. I have tried giving her a bit of a walk before we get in car and it makes no difference. We tried both our cars and individually with same results. The foster parent said she is very good in car and during our first drive which was over an hour she was quiet but a bit restless. Has anyone else had any experience with this? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Have somebody sit beside her and give her treats along the way? That's what I did with one of mine who wasn't a fan of the car when he was a pup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Sounds like excitement at the anticipation of going somewhere fun. Can you give her something to chew that will last a while or a stuffed Kong?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I probably should have mentioned she is 2. We have tried with one of us in the back praising her but she was too boisterous to make the journey comfortable for anyone. She isn't really treat driven but I suppose it is something to try only problem is there will only be one of us available at anyone time until the evenings. She is the most difficult dog to train because of her drive. She has no interest in balls or games. Walks and high reward food like chicken are her only motivation. I have a Kong which she likes but only if chicken or meat is in it. And it wouldn't last the ten minute journey and possibly she would ignore it due to excitment. I will try that in the morning as it is the easiest solution. The sounds she makes, with yawns thrown in, sounds like she is going to the gallows rather than a run in the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Sounds like excitement especially as shes quieter on the way back. Maybe bring her for some drives where she doesn't get to go to the dogpark, some more boring drives!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is she looking out the windows, and/or moving about a lot (well... As much as her harness allows)?
    You may have more success crating her instead, as you can then block of the stimulation she's likely getting from watching the outside world go by. It'll also stop her moving around and potentially losing her balance.
    Given she does it mostly on the outward journey, I'd agree with VonVix that she's vocalising due to excitement/anticipation of her walk.
    It might also help to regularly stick her in the car but don't go anywhere, and also trips around the block or for quick trips to the local shop, so that trips in the car don't necessarily predict a walk.

Edited to add: @ Maggiepip... Snap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Are you concerned because you think she is upset? Or is the whining just annoying?

That sounds like a plan. I was thinking of turning car around when she starts and going home but wasn't sure if that would be perceived as a punishment. Trips to park will be on hold until Thursday as going into doggie day care from today. Hopefully she doesn't get too excited for going there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

FrostyJack, I have the same with my two dogs! One is the instigator and the other does it a little bit but I cant stand it. Its high pitched and constant!!!!! I feel your pain!

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything yet to fix it. I haven't tried a kong but I don't particular want to give them food as I am quite strict on their meal/treat times. Ive tried putting sun blockers over the window to try block their view. Ive put them on the floor, put them in the back seat (they normally ride in the boot). Nothing seems to work for me. Its just the pure excitement! If I just bring them for a spin in the car, they do tend to calm down when we aren't going to our normal routes, however if im stopped and go to fix my seatbelt, or reach for my phone or whatever, the dogs take that as "oh we are here" and start getting excited again and im back to square one. So no solution so far! :(

Love to hear some advice as to how to stop this whining.

I have one of mine in a fabric crate in btw. She's not really a fan of the car and crushes my other dog lying up beside him - with the crate she gets in and goes asleep!

Ashbx wrote: »
    If I just bring them for a spin in the car, they do tend to calm down when we aren't going to our normal routes, however if im stopped and go to fix my seatbelt, or reach for my phone or whatever, the dogs take that as "oh we are here" and start getting excited again and im back to square one. So no solution so far! :(

Yeah anytime I stop at lights or round abouts it tends to start. She wasn't as bad today, only when I came to the end of the trip to daycare and even less on the way home. We find out tomorrow after a full day in daycare if she is just excited.
    I have one of mine in a fabric crate in btw. She's not really a fan of the car and crushes my other dog lying up beside him - with the crate she gets in and goes asleep!
    Those fabric crates might come in handy but I am not sure how I would secure it as we both have saloon cars. Don't want her flying around in it as it will create more problems. She doesn't tend to move around when she is crying or looking out the windows except when she is really agitated, so don't think outside stimulus is the issue, though it might be a factor.

• Advertisement

It could just be that once she gets used to going in the car a lot with you she relaxes. My dogs don't go crazy when I take their leads or get my keys because they're just used to it and it's not a novelty to be going out. At least she's just whining - my guy used to bark non-stop which was very distracting!! Like your girl though he used to go to daycare and being in the car 2 or 3 times a week as well as the weekends he just got used to it. He just sits in the back now watching the world go by! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

Mine can get like that a bit (shih tzu) and it's done out of excitement - once that handbrake is pulled up she goes full force whinging thinking she's getting out of the car there and then!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My boy does this in the car too, he can be quite anxious at times so I'm sure it's a mix of excitement and little bit of anxiety.
    He barks when the car stops, if I wave at someone or say hello, and if I get out of the car he's frantic (even if it's only to go round and open the boot.

My bitch is quiet as a mouse. Both are well used to car, I bring them on small trips and longer ones.

The interesting thing is I brought them to the shop last night (it's only a 2 min walk but I've an injury at the moment so can't walk far) and dog guard was taken out of car so he jumped the seat, I let him in the front for bit of peace and he was quiet!

Obviously I can't let him in the front of the car, but it showed me there is an element of his separation anxiety involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

mymo wrote: »
    My boy does this in the car too, he can be quite anxious at times so I'm sure it's a mix of excitement and little bit of anxiety.
    He barks when the car stops, if I wave at someone or say hello, and if I get out of the car he's frantic (even if it's only to go round and open the boot.

My bitch is quiet as a mouse. Both are well used to car, I bring them on small trips and longer ones.

The interesting thing is I brought them to the shop last night (it's only a 2 min walk but I've an injury at the moment so can't walk far) and dog guard was taken out of car so he jumped the seat, I let him in the front for bit of peace and he was quiet!

Obviously I can't let him in the front of the car, but it showed me there is an element of his separation anxiety involved.

You could leave him in the front with a dog seatbelt, might be worth the bit of peace....my lab sits in the front seat always and when we're all going out Im in the back with the other two dogs lol

If you're leaving a dog in the front make sure to turn off the passenger airbag(!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

No I won't be leaving him in the front, I prefer him safely enclosed in the boot (hatchback) in his snugly bedding.
    Also he can't jump about when in the boot, and hit the central locking, which he did once before.

It was just up the road (7houses long) and turn the corner, I was going to walk but was in too much pain so turned back and got in the car.

Advertisement