Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant in Kenmare ?

Options
  • 19-07-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

I'm staying in Kenmare for a few days with the oh and a 2 yr old.
    Just looking for recommendations in Kenmare for eateries. Was in a place this evening -poor enough- so was a bit disappointed.

Don't wanna break any rules so pm is welcome too...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

No. 35 is great.
    There is a great pizza place too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

digzy wrote: »

Don't wanna break any rules so pm is welcome too...

What was the restaurant, might help other people to avoid it in looking for a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭careful_now

I've eaten in Charcoal Steakhouse a few times. Really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭callee

It depends on what you're looking for
    Bella Vitae was good, but I had a bad experience recently
    Packies very good, expensive
    Lime tree very good, expensive
    Landsdowne good
    Mews, Charcoal closed down, haven't been yet
    Rose Garden changed hands
    Poffs recently opened good for breakfast, haven't tried anything else
    Kid friendly, most of them are but some are more comfotable, better suited: Poffs, Landsdowne, Bella vitae (see above), Davitts.
    Lunch is good in the Purple Heather and Jams

Recently places have closed and or changed hands, and no necessarily for the better.
    Currently there is nowhere suitable for coeliacs, that I have found, in Kenmare and you'd need to travel to KIllarney or Sneem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Was in pakies last night. Good but a bit steep. Going to number 35 tomorrow. What's it like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

What was the restaurant, might help other people to avoid it in looking for a restaurant.

But restaurant meals are very subjective - what one person doesn't like another may love.

If you stuck my wife into an all steak restaurant, she'd hate every minute of it - likewise, if I had to suffer a vegetarian restaurant, I'd wouldn't be happy. (I'll suffer it now and then! :) )

Hence always best not to name a place as it leaves boards / posters open to defamation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

delahuntv wrote: »

Hence always best not to name a place as it leaves boards / posters open to defamation.

Shouldn't alllow restaurants to be recommended either going with that logic, the other restaurant thread where we can give lovely reviews yet not allow say anything bad about a restaurant, a joke.
    Are the people who are giving recommendations and praising restaurants owners or connected with them that are free advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

I was in No. 35 once and I would say it was good. There's an olde world feel to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Sister was in the Boathouse a while back - was raving about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Sister was in the Boathouse a while back - was raving about it.

Dung

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Shouldn't alllow restaurants to be recommended either going with that logic, the other restaurant thread where we can give lovely reviews yet not allow say anything bad about a restaurant, a joke.
    Are the people who are giving recommendations and praising restaurants owners or connected with them that are free advertising?

A bad review can damage a restaurant's business - a good review can't.

Even critics that give "bad" reviews can have defamation actions taken against them unless they can professionally back up their writing.

Very easy to see through false good reviews.

A restaurant meal can be very subjective - what one person may find not appealing, another may find fab.

However in review land people who want to complain usually go over the top and want to "punish" the place - just read the muck on TripAdvisor - thankfully TripAdvisor has hundreds of thousands of users so it's easy to get a good overall view, but a place like boards doesn't have the user count to ensure fairness

Advertisement