Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gortnaleck bags on the ground

Options
  • 19-07-2015 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

Today I was up wandering about near Gortnaleck at the back of the hills, or the front of them depending on how you look at it. In the distance I could see rows of what appeared to be plastic bags or something. They were in several locations and were obviously placed there on purpose. What are they for?

I didnt see any up close enough to find out, although I did see some morons had thrown away a mattress and rubbish up there. Who the hell goes to a place like that and dumps rubbish? They should bring back hanging!

map%20of%20gortnaleck.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Turfbags, I would think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

There are certain heinous crimes for which I would consider bringing back capital punishment, but bagging up turf is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Kettleson wrote: »
    There are certain heinous crimes for which I would consider bringing back capital punishment, but bagging up turf is not one of them.

He did mention that he had also seen rubbish and a discarded mattress too, in fairness...

rizzodun wrote: »
    He did mention that he had also seen rubbish and a discarded mattress too, in fairness...

I don't think hanging would be a fair punishment for illegal dumping.

One might possibly "feel like strangling someone", but in reality the suggested punishment does not fit the crime. But that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Kettleson wrote: »
    I don't think hanging would be a fair punishment for illegal dumping.

One might possibly "feel like strangling someone", but in reality the suggested punishment does not fit the crime. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah, true, but it's a really scumbaggy thing to do that drives me nuts, there was a load of plaster and dry wall dumped at the entrance to Union Woods a few weeks back, and last year I found two bucket fulls of used motor oil and about or 6 oil filters dumped up the top of Dooneens walk, why can't people just dispose of this stuff legally? Tight feckers will spend the money pissing up the side wall of shoot the crows on a Saturday night instead.

• Advertisement

Yes you are right, it is a scum bag thing to do. I regularly drive past abandoned cookers, TV's, settees and things. I've not yet seen anyone in County Sligo prosecuted for illegal dumping. My joking apart, its a sh1te thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

The hanging thing was for the fly tipping, not the turf bags!

SO how does that work with the turf, can anyone just go up there and start doing it? Amazed they let that go on, youre rarely allowed to do anything potentially damaging to the environment these days.

Are you permitted to drive up on top of the hills up there in a vehicle? Ive got a Land Rover and was wondering about that. I never saw any signs saying your couldnt, and usually you would if it wasnt allowed.

I actually headed up that way after looking at sat images and saw the road to the mast. I was really disappointed when I got there to find out it has a locked gate and a PRIVATE ROAD sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The turf is cut and saved by the farmers who own the bog. Not just anyone.
    Private road signs usually mean just that! It's not a public road. It's for accessing the various masts and equipment by the engineering staff.

red sean wrote: »
    The turf is cut and saved by the farmers who own the bog. Not just anyone.
    Private road signs usually mean just that! It's not a public road. It's for accessing the various masts and equipment by the engineering staff.

Obviously that particular road is private. I was talking about driving up over the hill off road.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

That land up there is all private land.don't think the local landowners would appreciate people driving through there own land of their own free will.

Tiree Terror you seem very naive to ways of the countryside.

• Advertisement

sligono1 wrote: »
    That land up there is all private land.don't think the local landowners would appreciate people driving through there own land of their own free will.

Tiree Terror you seem very naive to ways of the countryside.

Im from Scotland, so I'm used to the "Right to Roam". I know its not the same in Ireland, where somehow the very few own everything. Terrible state of affairs really.

I just wondered if there was any Right Of Ways in the area. I know in Donegal for example, there are a lot of greenlanes that people can drive on and so long as you act responsibly everyone can go there and enjoy the open air. Also whether Im from Scotland or not, how would I know if a particular bit of land was owned by an individual or not? Where I was there were no fences or anything to suggest I could not drive any further, besides the track stopping, which isnt an issue in a Land Rover.

My personal feelings of vast swathes of land being owned by individuals is strong. It disgusts me how anyone can own hundreds if not thousands of acres of land and tell me I cannot go on it, but that is an issue for another thread.

Are there any resources which would show land we have a right to travel through? I know there are rights of way throughout Ireland, but where do you find the details of them? In a house I rented a while ago it had 17 acres of land, and right through the middle of it was a right of way and people could walk down the field if they chose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

Im from Scotland, so I'm used to the "Right to Roam". I know its not the same in Ireland, where somehow the very few own everything. Terrible state of affairs really.

I just wondered if there was any Right Of Ways in the area. I know in Donegal for example, there are a lot of greenlanes that people can drive on and so long as you act responsibly everyone can go there and enjoy the open air. Also whether Im from Scotland or not, how would I know if a particular bit of land was owned by an individual or not? Where I was there were no fences or anything to suggest I could not drive any further, besides the track stopping, which isnt an issue in a Land Rover.

My personal feelings of vast swathes of land being owned by individuals is strong. It disgusts me how anyone can own hundreds if not thousands of acres of land and tell me I cannot go on it, but that is an issue for another thread.

Are there any resources which would show land we have a right to travel through? I know there are rights of way throughout Ireland, but where do you find the details of them? In a house I rented a while ago it had 17 acres of land, and right through the middle of it was a right of way and people could walk down the field if they chose to.

Very few in this country own thousands of acres of land. Any of us lucky enough to be able to afford land mostly use it for farming, not driving around wherever we wish in land rovers. how this disgusts you I'm not quite sure!!!

It's far from a terrible state of affairs really. It's the way of life for most of us. I think that your comments a fairly disrespect to be honest

The areas you refer to are owned by local sheep farmers none of them own vast swathes of land as you suggest.and what they own is their livelihood.i have to agree with focus Sligo on your comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Speaking of rights of way, does anyone know the latest with this? http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=25281

McHugh's still have their stuff there as if they own it, it's a joke if they just get to keep it.

Apologies if I offended anyone. I made an assumption that it was similar to Scotland, where there are great estates, owned by individual landowners where they literally own thousands of acres and have hunting lodges etc and its all passed down through the generations, elite class and all that. I was not thinking about a few fields that farmers would be using to sustain themselves. Although in my defence its an easy assumption to make considering Ive never witnessed tractors driving over the top of large rugged hills before! Typically sheep are on much safer ground as its impossible to properly farm on rough ground thats near vertical.

No elite class here just regular farmers land may be passed from father to son and sheep do manage to graze out there it would amaze you where they do get to.the farmer use quad bikes on the harder to travel areas and they don't work it by foot along with the trusty sheep dog.

Advertisement