Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2015 (Mod Warning: Post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Fair result but even I am getting sick of smug Ian now, I didn't mind him until this week but he's a bit of a pompous git really isn't he!
    Delighted for Tamal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I've just realised after watching this show religiously, I'm going to be on holiday for the final :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm delighted for Tamal! And I loved him calling his mum to tell her :D

If anyone but Ian had made that crown I'd have said it was amazing, but he has such a stupid smug face :mad:

I'm not surprised Matt went, he really didn't have a good week. He seems really funny though so I'd say it'll be a great episode of the Extra Slice with him on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Delighted for Tamal. You could feel he was in the zone for the pie and the Charlotte. Have to agree about Ian. He didn't really bother me until last week, but this week he was unbearably smug.
    Can't choose between Nadiya or Tamal, would be happy for either of them to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Delighted Tamal won. Him and Nadiya are my favourites.

Does anyone else find Flora annoying and contrived??

• Advertisement

Delighted Tamal won. Him and Nadiya are my favourites.

Does anyone else find Flora annoying and contrived??

She's the oldest 19 year old I've ever come across. I find her kind of twee and I can't decide whether it's all a big act or whether she really is stuck in the 1950s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I've just realised after watching this show religiously, I'm going to be on holiday for the final :(

iPlayer!
    Scarinae wrote: »
    If anyone but Ian had made that crown I'd have said it was amazing, but he has such a stupid smug face :mad:

Aye, he doesn't help himself, does he? I try to separate my dislike of his smugness from the fact that he is talented though, hard as it is. He deserved all his SB wins.

So delighted for Tamal, but I knew he get it one week. He'll definitely be a finalist.

I've said it before, but Flora is the most disappointing contestant. No real lows, but no standout moments either. Just coasting along. I don't expect her to be a finalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

dee_mc wrote:
    She's the oldest 19 year old I've ever come across. I find her kind of twee and I can't decide whether it's all a big act or whether she really is stuck in the 1950s...
    What was the school cookery competition she mentioned?
    Not something we ever had in the convent anyways!

Yeah the game cookery competitions would've been thin on the ground at my school too, you're not alone there!
    Posh boarding school maybe?
    If she was a character in a TV series we'd say she was overacting. ..

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I know someone just like Flora in real life, she is also Scottish it's obviously a type of upbringing in some parts of Scotland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Only watching now (but know the result). 5 and a half hours to make the showstopper-God I'd hate that!!!

Second week in a row that I've been drooling at the showstoppers.

Some of the savoury vol au vents looked AMAZING last week, and as for this week, well I'm a sucker for sponge and general fruitiness in desserts. :)

Ian Smuggington's showstopper especially sounded amazing but then rhubarb is also something I'm a sucker for.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Only got to watch it last night - I was sick not being able to be on this thread yesterday!

DELIGHTED for Tamal, love love love him :D
    Gutted Matt has gone though, I know he had an awful week but he is a great character and very entertaining to watch.

Flora is just sooooooooooo boooooring - snore. Every screenshot of her is her sitting there with her hand over her mouth, looking worried - it drives me bonkers.

Ian is very smug, really getting to a point where I can't bear to look at his face. He's like a little lost puppy, desperate for praise and a pat on the head.

Was drooling at the meat pies - yum yum :)

I don't know if I'm just being mean now, but did anyone else think Ian's crown was a bit rough and just a tad childish with the silver ball decorations etc? I wasn't as wowed as the other contestants seemed to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I hate how Flora always does that gurning thing with her mouth, frowning constantly and chewing her lip when Mary and Paul are judging her bakes.
    She's so fcuking irritating and she comes across more like a 49-year-old woman rather than a 19-year-old.

I think Paul (the judge, not the contestant) is very serious, don't you think?
    He never cracks a smile, even if Sue and Mel have cracked a good joke that has Mary smiling.
    He relishes giving them all hard challenges and finds fault with everything, no matter how minor.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I love the little look to camera that Mel gives after one of her punny jokes, lol, just to make sure we all got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

miamee wrote: »
    I love the little look to camera that Mel gives after one of her punny jokes, lol, just to make sure we all got it.

I do too!
    I absolutely love her and Sue, of course. They're right up my street comedy-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

fussyonion wrote: »
    I hate how Flora always does that gurning thing with her mouth, frowning constantly and chewing her lip when Mary and Paul are judging her bakes.
    She's so fcuking irritating and she comes across more like a 49-year-old woman rather than a 19-year-old.

I think Paul (the judge, not the contestant) is very serious, don't you think?
    He never cracks a smile, even if Sue and Mel have cracked a good joke that has Mary smiling.
    He relishes giving them all hard challenges and finds fault with everything, no matter how minor.

Paul often looks irritated with Mel and Sue! I hope it's just for the cameras!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

fussyonion wrote: »
    <...>
    Agreed! Her "self soothing behavior" is so over the top, it's hard not to notice it.

dee_mc wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm just being mean now, but did anyone else think Ian's crown was a bit rough and just a tad childish with the silver ball decorations etc? I wasn't as wowed as the other contestants seemed to be!

Yeah, I thought it looked crude. Paul's lion didn't get applause. :(

• Advertisement

Paul often looks irritated with Mel and Sue! I hope it's just for the cameras!

He's totally humourless so probably not.

Love Mel and Sue, their intelligence shines through. Only thing is Sue can be a tad smug at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Matt was great on Extra Slice. He should have his own show. Or him with Paul. They're a great double act.

Haha Michel Roux said exactly what I said about Ian's crown!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with Ian's crown at all either. I thought it was amateurish and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Anyone else fluctuate between detesting Paul H to fancying him during episodes?

Posy wrote: »
    Yeah, I wasn't impressed with Ian's crown at all either. I thought it was amateurish and unnecessary.

He remind me of a small boy when he's so proud of his little touches like that! He's not the worst I suppose but he's a bit up himself!

honeybear wrote: »
    Anyone else fluctuate between detesting Paul H to fancying him during episodes?

*tumbleweed rolls on by*

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I've always loved Paul H, I guess him and and Mary are just doing the whole good cop bad cop thing.
    I still like him anyway :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

They are both good judges. ImO, that's all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

I'm getting too competitive watching this. It's like I'm watching sport clapping when Nadiya got top prize and I was delighted Tamal got star baker.
    And having an evil villain that is Ian brings alot to the show.

Advertisement