Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2015 (Mod Warning: Post 1)

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I originally thought that Flora would be next to go, but as soon as Paul said he didn't know how to make genoese sponge I knew it'd be him!

Tamal is so watchable! I loved his gazelle analogy - "Mary and Paul are the lions, and they're hungry for bakers!" And talking about his eclairs - "They have a lot to carry on their little pastry shoulders". And of course his spiel about the kind of patisserie that would sell his pastries, I can't remember it properly but it made me laugh :D

Nadiya is funny too - "I've had some nun landslides... Some nun explosions..."

Ian is still so smug :mad: If anyone else was searching for the 'perfect almond' I'd think it was sweet, but when he does it I think "Ugh, what a knob!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Scarinae wrote: »
    I originally thought that Flora would be next to go, but as soon as Paul said he didn't know how to make genoese sponge I knew it'd be him!

Tamal is so watchable! I loved his gazelle analogy - "Mary and Paul are the lions, and they're hungry for bakers!" And talking about his eclairs - "They have a lot to carry on their little pastry shoulders". And of course his spiel about the kind of patisserie that would sell his pastries, I can't remember it properly but it made me laugh :D

Ian is still so smug :mad: If anyone else was searching for the 'perfect almond' I'd think it was sweet, but when he does it I think "Ugh, what a knob!"

You're exactly like me so, I said that a few times this episode 'if anyone else was saying that I'd have no problem but when he says it it's smug and irritating'!! Up to last week I genuinely liked and admired Ian, now the tide has turned and I think he's a jumped up little so and so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

He has a nice turn of phrase, hasn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Was really sad to see Paul go last night :( I wasn't a massive fan of him but my heart really went out to him.

Flora is getting on my last nerves :mad: She's scraped through by the skin of her teeth so many times, can't see her getting to the final, and she doesn't deserve it over the other three.

Love both Tamal and Nadiya, would be happy with either of them as winners :) It was my bf's first time watching it last night and he thought Nadiya's facial expressions were gas :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was really annoyed that Paul left before Flora or Ian last night, neither of them had a great night either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Paul definitely did worse than Ian though, and probably Flora too so i think it was fair that he went. I was sad to see him go, but I've been sad to see most of them go. It's a lovely group of people.

The technical this week was how every technical should be. They tested their knowledge of a genoise and their piping skills. It was relatively simple but only if you had the skill already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

GBBO back on form last night - love pastry! Was really rooting for Paul, pity his sponge in the technical didn't come out right the second time either. Really thought he would do better in the show stopper in fairness. Thought the judges were quite fair with Nadiya - the flavourings weren't to their taste but they still praised her. Flora is just skimming though. She'll go next week and it should be Tamal, Ian and Nadiya in the finale

Flora is getting on my last nerves :mad: She's scraped through by the skin of her teeth so many times, can't see her getting to the final, and she doesn't deserve it over the other three.

I'd be so mad if she was put through ahead of any of the others. She hasn't done anything stand-out this season, not even once.
    It was my bf's first time watching it last night and he thought Nadiya's facial expressions were gas :D

Exact same with my fella! :pac:

miamee wrote: »
    I was really annoyed that Paul left before Flora or Ian last night, neither of them had a great night either.

Paul did worse than Ian, it would have been completely unfair for Ian to leave.

And with a heavy heart, I think he deserved to go over Flora too. Paul was forever under- and over-baking things and this stage of the contest, that's not really good enough.
    The technical this week was how every technical should be. They tested their knowledge of a genoise and their piping skills. It was relatively simple but only if you had the skill already.

I have to agree with Addle, Nadiya seemed to have made it before, despite what she said!

I'm not one of Flora's biggest fans, but I think that Paul did worse overall in this episode so he was the right choice to go. I don't think Flora will make it to the final though unless one of the others seriously messes up next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I know it's been said before here, but I have to repeat, Flora really gets on my nerves with her weird mannerisms - pulling her face around with her hands - constantly - and apologizing - also constantly. Hoping she will be next to go.

Ian comes across as over-confident, but I don't mind if he wins in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

She may have made the genoise sponge before but not this particular recipe with the other components. And she had at least read the recipe before. Sometimes wonder why more the bakers don't study Paul's and Mary's books more. Anyhow, getting the sponge right I think was key to success of the technical. I'm surprised though Paul had extra ingredients for a do over. I thought for the technical they just had the ingredients required to follow the recipe. Just once chance to get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Does anyone else get the impression that the judges don't have much time for Ian?

Addle wrote: »
    Does anyone else get the impression that the judges don't have much time for Ian?

Yeah, and I think it's because he comes across a tad jumped up, almost like he thinks he's a pro baker himself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I will admit I was only half paying attention last night so I may have missed some of the finer details of Paul's bakes (and Flora & Ian's) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I was away for two weeks, so only just catching up now. Was sad to see Paul go. I'm not particularly keen on Flora either and I think she'll go next week. I'd be quite happy to see either Tamal or Nadiya win.
    I f***ing hate Ian with a passion!!! Right since the start. As the weeks go on, he just seems to get more and more smug. If he wins it, I'll be absolutely disgusted. Would so love to see him gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

It was my bf's first time watching it last night and he thought Nadiya's facial expressions were gas :D

Maybe she actually has gas, would explain the expressions :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

This pretty much sums up my thoughts- I really want Nadiya or Tamal to win. They're the two bakers I look forward to seeing when I tune in. They're both great bakers and use interesting flavours and ideas but they both encapsulate what I love about the show- they don't take themselves too seriously, can have a laugh about it and are both really likeable.

Not a fan of Ian either- he's an excellent baker but he really, really knows it. Very smug. I'd expect Flora to go next week leaving an Ian, Tamal and Nadiya final. Ian reminds me a bit of Brendan from a few years ago- coasting through the competition, very consistent and seemed to be the favourite alongside James but then John won it (bit of a shock result tbh) so while Ian might be the favourite at this stage, I think Tamal or Nadiya could edge it.

I also love Tamal's expressions and Nadiya's facial expressions are the best!

https://twitter.com/BBCOne/status/646776869157670913

http://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/nadiyas-facial-expressions-are-one-of-the-best-things-about?utm_term=.pjqZ0m0JZ#.iiOy7z7oy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I always found her insincere but I haven't liked marian since the referendum.

Glad I'm not the only one. I think she's very false.

smurfs5 wrote: »

I can't wait to see Jo Brand taking the piss out of this on the Extra Slice :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Scarinae wrote:
    I can't wait to see Jo Brand taking the piss out of this on the Extra Slice
    She's not presenting tonight unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

She's not presenting tonight unfortunately.

really?? I'm not mad about it this year for some reason. it's not enough about the person that left, they just seem to be squeezed in at the end

really?? I'm not mad about it this year for some reason. it's not enough about the person that left, they just seem to be squeezed in at the end

I stopped watching it a couple of years ago to be honest, watching the Bake Off itself is enough for me without dragging another hour out of it.

miamee wrote: »
    I stopped watching it a couple of years ago to be honest, watching the Bake Off itself is enough for me without dragging another hour out of it.

It only started last year.

It only started last year.

Are you sure?? I must have only watched a bit of it last year then!

Extra Slice was really good this week. I think Sarah Millican was better than Jo Brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I like Sarah but I prefer Jo for this programme, didn't enjoy the guests much this week either but maybe I'm just grumpy from lack of cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Sorry to see Paul go this week. He was one of my faves.

I won't say who I want to win now because it would be like the kiss of death. :D

Ian reminds me a bit of Brendan from a few years ago- coasting through the competition, very consistent and seemed to be the favourite alongside James but then John won it (bit of a shock result tbh) so while Ian might be the favourite at this stage, I think Tamal or Nadiya could edge it.

I had actually pegged Tamal as the Brendan of this series. Both coasting to a very high standard.

• Advertisement

I didn't think it possible for Nadiya to trump her own 'Icing in the Oven' shocked expression from last week, but the girl done good. :D

Advertisement