Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2015 (Mod Warning: Post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Willfarman wrote: »
    All edited and scripted. Nadiya fits an ethnic profile that the uk government is trying desperately to integrate. Make them feel British rather than just Muslim...

My conspiracy theory for today!

Ah Jaysus! You'd swear she wasn't clearly the deserved winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

I never watched GBBO before this season. Who knew it would make me teary? Nadiya (and Tamal) really were the emotional centre of the show. It's such a *nice* reality show. The antithesis to the X Factor in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

All edited and scripted. Nadiya fits an ethnic profile that the uk government is trying desperately to integrate. Make them feel British rather than just Muslim...

Have I stumbled across the Daily Mail comment page??

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    She was the best and most consistent all through. Simple as really.

Well consistent from a point on. Her early bakes were a mess, bless her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

On a live unedited show perhaps. Maybe life is making me over cynical. I hope so!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

The family reactions are the best! :D Tamal and Nadiya are now BFFs :)

I loved the 'where are they now' segment :)

Of course Ian has made a cake for the Dalai Lama though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Ah it's over!
    What will I do on a Wednesday night now?!

Delighted for Nadiya - can't believe I had a cry! And so did Mary lol

On a live unedited show perhaps. Maybe life is making me over cynical. I hope so!

I'm a cynical bastard and I wouldn't presume to think that the BBC specifically wrote Nadiya into the final because she's a Muslim.

There's a word for that, and it's not 'cynical'! :pac:

Scarinae wrote: »
    The family reactions are the best! :D Tamal and Nadiya are now BFFs :)

I loved the 'where are they now' segment :)

The 'where are they now' segment made my laugh because it really called to mind terrible true life movies and possible character deaths? :o

I got a bit teary-eyed during Nadiya's winner speech and Tamal promising to go for dinner with N's family. Like how heart-warming.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I just watched the last five minutes again because I enjoyed it so much! That didn't feel like an hour at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Was that cake presented to the Dalai Lama at Glastonbury? I watched that - so long ago.

Nadiya's family make me like her even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

I find it incredible that so many people i.e. family & friends are present at the announcement of the winner and therefore aware of the results prior to the show being aired. Surely there is huge opportunity to make plenty of money from the bookies. I can't imagine all these people are subject to confidentiality agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Wow that was emotional, everyone crying, even Mary!
    Loved Nadiya and Tamal's relationship.
    Delighted for Nadiya, she was so knowledgeable and really improved over the weeks.
    I agree though the standard was't as high as previous years (well on the decoration side anyway given we can't taste them and even Paul and Mary said it was the best tasting final ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Was rooting for Tamal but Nadiya deserved to win, she didn't make one mistake throughout the final and her cake looked amazing. I'm glad Ian didn't win, wouldn't have been able to cope with his smugness! I love how Tamal and Nadiya seem to be good friends, him saying to the kids that he'd be over for dinner was so cute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

So delighted that Nadiya won, so deserved. Her cake looked so elegant, the wedding jewels were a beautiful touch.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I read earlier that he's the Dalai Lama's personal photographer when he's in the UK.

What I'm going to miss most about the show is the goodies my wife has been baking for each episode. As it was the final she went the whole hog and made a chocolate roulade. It was amazing. :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We need a Great Boardsie Bake Off.

Maybe Dav and Niamh to judge, a couple of zany admins as presenters, and lots and lots of cakes. And DRP for those voted off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Delighted that Nadiya won. She's so nice. I would have been happy with any of the finalists winning but she's so deserving.

What the hell are we going to do on Wednesday nights now?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Apprentice, baby. Overconfident yuppies making assholes of themselves. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I find it incredible that so many people i.e. family & friends are present at the announcement of the winner and therefore aware of the results prior to the show being aired. Surely there is huge opportunity to make plenty of money from the bookies. I can't imagine all these people are subject to confidentiality agreements.
    Bookies never take bets on things like this.

Once upon a time Paddy Power kept taking bets on Who Shot Mr Burns after the episode had aired in the US though :D

https://web.archive.org/web/20080820004240/http://www.paddypowerplc.com/cms/history_20th_century

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Wow, Nadiya played an absolute blinder in the final! Well deserved.

Loved Ian's showstopper too, but there could be no other winner than Nadiya, she aced all three rounds. And having her wedding cake as her showstopper was a really lovely idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Gorgeous final :)
    Delighted for Nadiya, it clearly meant so much to her.
    Must try her marshmallow fondant idea at some stage...
    I'll miss watching every Wednesday but at least I'll have Downton to keep me glued to the sofa, thanks all for an entertaining thread!

You're so edgy!

All the contestants are British. Who is "them"?
    Thargor wrote: »
    Tamals is a great looking cake, previous seasons everyones showstoppers looked like that, this season has been a bit dull, like Ians.

I hated how Tamal's looked. Really messy and cobwebby looking.

I never watched GBBO before this season. Who knew it would make me teary? Nadiya (and Tamal) really were the emotional centre of the show. It's such a *nice* reality show. The antithesis to the X Factor in many ways.

It's why I love it! Imagine if the public voted. Shudder? Ian wouldn't have made it to the final then, despite clearly deserving to.
    Well consistent from a point on. Her early bakes were a mess, bless her!

Yeah, she was a bit of a disaster early on.

So? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Delighted for Nadiya :) Herself and Tamal really were great. It was hers to lose after the first 2 and if she did falter Tamal had a show stopper worthy of stealing it!

Baking things shouldn't be so compelling but I really do enjoy the show.

I was rooting for anyone but Ian but was even coming round to him as his smugness faded but then he went and made carrot cake which I hate with every fibre of my being :pac:

Nadiya's facial expressions were the highlight of the show though!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    You're so edgy!

All the contestants are British. Who is "them"?

The Chinese, a great bunch of lads!

No, its the Greeks he's after...

well, it wasnt the Mexicans

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I was channel hopping last week and caught the last half of The Great British Bake Off. First time I've ever seen it (I'm not a fan of TV talent competitions). I was only vaguely aware of its existence.

I watched the finale this evening and ended up crying by the end of it at Nadia's little speech at the end.

Roll on season 7 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Oh I will miss this show. I tipped nadiya to win. She was a lovely warm woman. I liked Ian too his quirkiness was great but his show stopped was just awful. Tamal was good too.
    I will so miss this show

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Would be nice to put all the winners in a Bake off ..

Recipe for some great baking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I won't miss the 101 ways to say the word bake. That just got really annoying. :)

Advertisement