Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2015 (Mod Warning: Post 1)

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Scarinae wrote: »
    From the Daily Mail... Of course :rolleyes:

Interestingly, the Guardian has noted that the Daily Mail has put the winner of the Bake Off on its front page for the previous three finals – but this year didn't cover it until page 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

maryk123 wrote: »
    I liked Ian too his quirkiness was great but his show stopped was just awful. Tamal was good too.

I like Ian's showstopper even if it was a bit simple. I thought Tamal's showstopper looked a right slobber. Very messy.

Mr E wrote: »
    I won't miss the 101 ways to say the word bake. That just got really annoying. :)

It did a bit, but liked Mel calling the signature bake the Sig Ba, and the technical challenge the Tech Chall last night. Oh the silliness! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Ah it's over!
    What will I do on a Wednesday night now?!

<...>
    New season of Grand Designs, loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

j@utis wrote: »
    Oh when's that starting? I love that show - Kevin is an awesome presenter!

• Advertisement

it's already on, you missed last 4 episodes. I record them and watch them multiple times later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Anyone else feel a little let down with the finale last night?

After watching the recap of the 2014 series, the 2015 GBBO just wasn't up to the same standard.

First task of iced buns - there was nothing to wow about them - plain enough looking, think one had a slightly different coloured icing. They all looked kinda ordinary. No fancy icing, no designing, no coloured pastry, bells, whistles?

Technical - none of them got the pastry right, I think some of them weren't too sure what they even were, they looked messy apart from Ian's.

Showstopper - British cakes
    Ian's looked like he thought of it the night before. Ok he baked 5 carrot cakes, but there was nothing show stopping about them - standard carrot cake icing and some sort of weird carrot piping on it. Didn't like how it was presented.

Tamal - I thought his looked wow for a show stopper but the cake didn't look very British if I may. Sticky toffee pudding cake - is that even a cake type? But he's such a sweetheart!

Naydia - Well she was as deserving winner! :) I love lemon drizzle cake! And I was welling up when she explained the story behind the cake, getting in the British-ness of if they had married in the UK that's the cake they would have had! But would marshmallow fondant go with lemon drizzle cake - I would normally have a lemon flavoured icing on top of a lemon drizzle? Thought her cake was beautifully presented although I thought it was coloured fondant wrapped around the bottom of the cake but my work colleague told me it was a stand she had. (My husband was interrupting me last night).

Lastly, did anyone else notice that it was lashing rain for the first two tasks and then as soon as it stopped raining all the friends and families arrived and were all sitting out on picnic blankets and playing on the lawns?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Anyone else feel a little let down with the finale last night?

After watching the recap of the 2014 series, the 2015 GBBO just wasn't up to the same standard.

First task of iced buns - there was nothing to wow about them - plain enough looking, think one had a slightly different coloured icing. They all looked kinda ordinary. No fancy icing, no designing, no coloured pastry, bells, whistles?

Technical - none of them got the pastry right, I think some of them weren't too sure what they even were, they looked messy apart from Ian's.

Showstopper - British cakes
    Ian's looked like he thought of it the night before. Ok he baked 5 carrot cakes, but there was nothing show stopping about them - standard carrot cake icing and some sort of weird carrot piping on it. Didn't like how it was presented.

Tamal - I thought his looked wow for a show stopper but the cake didn't look very British if I may. Sticky toffee pudding cake - is that even a cake type? But he's such a sweetheart!

Naydia - Well she was as deserving winner! :) I love lemon drizzle cake! And I was welling up when she explained the story behind the cake, getting in the British-ness of if they had married in the UK that's the cake they would have had! But would marshmallow fondant go with lemon drizzle cake - I would normally have a lemon flavoured icing on top of a lemon drizzle? Thought her cake was beautifully presented although I thought it was coloured fondant wrapped around the bottom of the cake but my work colleague told me it was a stand she had. (My husband was interrupting me last night).

Lastly, did anyone else notice that it was lashing rain for the first two tasks and then as soon as it stopped raining all the friends and families arrived and were all sitting out on picnic blankets and playing on the lawns?!

The cream buns, lemon drizzle and carrot cakes are all easy to make, it's making exceptional cakes that is the really difficult thing, that's why they are there on TV and why we are here on the internet! The lemon drizzle was a simple bake but importantly it was faultless. I personally preferred Tamal's showstopper myself, but Nadiya was better over the three tasks.

About the rain: the first two tasks are filmed on a Saturday, the last one on a Sunday. There is a huge stately home beside the tent anyway, so there is plenty of shelter from the rain if needed.

j@utis wrote: »

I have a drinking (tea) game where I take a sip every time Kevin utters the word 'silvering'. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

They did mention how lucky it was that the rain stopped before the friends and family arrived.

I was delighted for Naydia; she was so thrilled, it was lovely to see her so emotional and happy. :)
    This was the first year I've watched GBBO (although I heard all about last year's ice cream cake incident of course!) so I'm looking forward to next year's already!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Mary nearly in tears again. :pac:

Nadiya is barely recognisable with the make up on.

I thought that the last Extra Slice would be a bit longer, should really be an hour for the last programme. Ah well, there's always next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Red Kev wrote: »
    Mary nearly in tears again. :pac:

Nadiya is barely recognisable with the make up on.

I thought that the last Extra Slice would be a bit longer, should really be an hour for the last programme. Ah well, there's always next year.
    I thought it would be longer too! But all the finalists came across lovely, can't wait for next year.

I didn't like extra slice last night. It's was way to soppy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Just noticed the Masterclass episodes are on this week - Monday and Friday BBC2 at 7pm. Series link didn't seem to have picked it up so heads up!

Not getting the gushing over Nadiya's hubby's looks. Thought he was quite bland! But different strokes. :)

Was looking at his Twitter page a while ago and OMG, look at this cake Nadiya did. SO pretty!

2q20fic.jpg

280ijb5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

Thargor wrote: »
    Bookies never take bets on things like this.

Once upon a time Paddy Power kept taking bets on Who Shot Mr Burns after the episode had aired in the US though :D

https://web.archive.org/web/20080820004240/http://www.paddypowerplc.com/cms/history_20th_century

They do take bets. There was a scandal over this years show and BBC employees placing bets on it after the final was recorded.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11913626/Great-British-Bake-Off-rocked-by-10000-betting-scandal-allegations.html

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If anyone wants a new bake off fix, the Great Australian Bake Off Season 2 started last week in Australia. Can't link to full episodes as per charter, but easy to find on Youtube.

The hosts are no Mel and Sue though. :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Only got to watch the finale at the weekend so I've been avoiding this thread :pac: Getting a bit emosh reading back over it, I was a bit damp of eye watching the finale when Nadiya won :o

Crying over cake :rolleyes: lol. I'm delighted Nadiya won, she was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The Christmas Masterclass is on tomorrow night, Thursday 17th, at 9pm on BBC2 and it'll be repeated on the 21st.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JohnK wrote: »
    The Christmas Masterclass is on tomorrow night, Thursday 17th, at 9pm on BBC2 and it'll be repeated on the 21st.

Is the 21st a repeat as my to guide has it as part two of two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's not back until next year sometime, but the Sports Relief Bake Off line-up has been released.

Samantha Cameron, Jason Manford, Will Young, Maddy Hill, Geri Halliwell Horner, Kimberley Walsh, Alison Steadman, Ade Edmonson, Morgana Robinson, Louise Redknapp, Ed Balls, David James, Chris Kamara, Jermaine Jenas, Victoria Coren-Mitchell and John Simpson.

I can't wait to see how Kammy gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

It's not back until next year sometime, but the Sports Relief Bake Off line-up has been released.

Samantha Cameron, Jason Manford, Will Young, Maddy Hill, Geri Halliwell Horner, Kimberley Walsh, Alison Steadman, Ade Edmonson, Morgana Robinson, Louise Redknapp, Ed Balls, David James, Chris Kamara, Jermaine Jenas, Victoria Coren-Mitchell and John Simpson.

I can't wait to see how Kammy gets on.

That's a great lineup. When's it on?

That's a great lineup. When's it on?

Looking at previous series on Wikipedia it seems to be usually on mid to late January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Loughc wrote: »
    Is the 21st a repeat as my to guide has it as part two of two?

Yeah its a repeat alright acording to the BBC schedule http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013pqnm/broadcasts/upcoming

JohnK wrote: »
    hopefully you all enjoyed last episode of masterclass :rolleyes:
    I've got the mixer they use in the show so I'm kinda all set to go :D

for those who missed it, here is what happened behind the scenes :D

The Great Sport Relief Bake Off starts on Wednesday. It's on BBC1 at 8.30 and the first episode has Jason Manford, Maddy Hill, David James and Samantha Cameron in it.

Advertisement