Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2015 (Mod Warning: Post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Felt sorry for Nadiya until she wowed them with her snake and basket (pity the basket was a bit undercooked).

Wow; Paul's lion...what talent, what skill!

Ugne is really irritating me; she's cocky.

The right person definitely went tonight.

I think Paul should have won Star Baker, instead of the special commendation.
    That other guy who won Star Baker is amazing, of course, but Paul deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Why did paul not get star baker, he had done well in the soda bread round, and the lion was amazing.

How could you not practice your showstopper at home, that just shows she didnt care that much.

I honestly have never seen so many good showstoppers, i went to bed very hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

Yep the right person went, I think nerves had a big part to play though!

How Paul didnt get star baker is just beyond me, that lion was magnificent.

Desserts next week should be good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Down to his baguettes I'd say as they were called under baked ciabatta which is a bit surprising considering what he was able to do with the lion; in fact they probably judged him even more harshly on the baguettes when they could see what he's capable of with the lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Did Paul come last in the technical? I think they felt they couldn't give him star baker because of his performance in that. Shame though as the lion was amazing!

I haven't really warmed to the star baker guy (Ian?) Mat seems lovely but it looks like he might not last much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

How do you not practice the show stopper at home?? Nuts!! Definitely the right person went this week - should have gone earlier though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Completely agree, the person who went this week has been consistently poor, unlike the lady who went last week who just had a bad weekend. I thought she deserved another chance to show what she could do.

Ugne is really grating on me and Flora, with the hands to the face every time, OMG what will they say!! I Know, I know she's only 19... I'm a bad person...

Really like Alvin - my god that was some amount of bread! Also like the guy who made the breadcycle, Tamal?

No spoilers but I read an interview with Paul Hollywood and he said it was only really after week 3 or 4 that the bakers started to gel together as a group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Paul's lion was absolutely AMAZING last night. I can't warm to Ian to be honest, or Flora either. I have a definite soft spot for Alvin though, and I like Sandy, Tamal and Nadiya too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love Ian! He's confident in his abilities while still remaining incredibly unassuming.

The only one that irritates me is Flora. She did well last night though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Paul's lion was absolutely AMAZING last night. I can't warm to Ian to be honest, or Flora either. I have a definite soft spot for Alvin though, and I like Sandy, Tamal and Nadiya too.

Yeah have to agree with this, is Nadiya the lady who has Indian or Pakistani background? I love her, she's got great idea's and just needs a boost in confidence really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Completely agree, the person who went this week has been consistently poor, unlike the lady who went last week who just had a bad weekend. I thought she deserved another chance to show what she could do.

That's the thing about GBBO, they don't give much weight to what you've done in other weeks. It's all about what you do in the 3 tasks. It might seem a bit unfair but it means the contestants can't rest on past success and it means anyone is up for the chop.

Dorret had been scraping by because two people did (marginally) worse than her. I'm glad she's gone now for her own sake (and because it was ridiculous not to practice the showstopper). She looked a nervous wreck on the show and kinda looked like someone who wandered on to the show by mistake. She was lucky to survive as long as she did.

Matt is next in the firing line IMO. He's been scraping by till now and needs to up his game. Ugne isn't doing much better either. Neither is Sandy. The male bakers are really strong this year actually.

A well deserved star baker for Ian anyway. Had Paul not come last in the technical he would have got it but he did and while his showstopper was unreal there were other bakers who did well on all 3 tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I loved the piece on making the wedding cake (Ukraine style). So cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I love Mel and Sue but their waffle is starting to get on my nerves now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bacchus wrote: »
    Dorret had been scraping by because two people did (marginally) worse than her. I'm glad she's gone now for her own sake (and because it was ridiculous not to practice the showstopper). She looked a nervous wreck on the show and kinda looked like someone who wandered on to the show by mistake. She was lucky to survive as long as she did.
    I think that since she thought she was going home on week one she's been resigned to the belief that she's going home and hasn't been trying. Instead of thinking for the last two weeks 'Wow, I got through. I must be doing really well' and being inspired to try harder she's been thinking 'I'm definitely going home next week, what's the point in even bothering'. Who doesn't practise their showstopper!?

Loved Paul's lion. It looked like something out of a storybook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

fussyonion wrote: »
    Ugne is really irritating me; she's cocky.

Me too, I can't warm to her. And she's not good enough to be so cocky.

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Why did paul not get star baker, he had done well in the soda bread round, and the lion was amazing.

He did badly in the technical challenge. The technical challenge is a big 'un, a good indicator of innate talent, as they can't practice it beforehand.

Ian was really the only one who nearly nailed the baguette (even Flora who came second was a bit below him in quality), he did very well in the first round, and his bread sculpture was also fantastic. I think he totally deserved Star Baker.

Did anyone hear about Mary completely spoiling last night's show on Chris Evans yesterday? :D Poor Mary.

Excerpt here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkDN5bBTvnM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Me too, I can't warm to her. And she's not good enough to be so cocky.

I missed the first episode but got the impression that while Paul liked her baking, Mary didn't seem as keen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

An extra slice is brilliant.
    Lots of laugh out loud moments.

You'd think that Dorret would have made more of an effort with her second chance bake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You'd think that Dorret would have made more of an effort with her second chance bake.

I just clicked on the thread to say exactly the same thing! Half-assed all the way. She was grand but not a very interesting or particularly likeable character. Really enjoyed this week's episodes, the bread sculptures were really cool and I loved some of the flavour combinations in the quick breads. I'll be dreaming of bread and cheese tonight... might have to have a tiny slice of birthday cake before bed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Addle wrote: »
    An extra slice is brilliant.
    Lots of laugh out loud moments.
    What's An Extra Slice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Posy wrote: »
    What's An Extra Slice?

Its the companion programme hosted by Jo Brand. It's on Friday on BBC2 at 9.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oooh, I will have to catch that next week! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Posy wrote: »
    Oooh, I will have to catch that next week! :)
    It's really funny! Great entertainment!

So its desserts tonight folks - I love this week on GBBO! Think I'll lash a few fairy cakes in the oven when I get in so that I am fully prepped to watch it :)

So its desserts tonight folks - I love this week on GBBO! Think I'll lash a few fairy cakes in the oven when I get in so that I am fully prepped to watch it :)

Mega potential for disaster when they have to make things that have to set!

I made chocolate and caramel mousse to get me through tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Will someone take someone else's dessert out of the fridge?

Will someone take someone else's dessert out of the fridge?

Or steal their custard? I swear to God, that episode when poor Howard's custard was stolen was just one of the best things ever :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I've chocolate ice cream for tonight

Advertisement