Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2015 (Mod Warning: Post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I think they should have given star baker to someone else this week.

I think Ian shaded Tamal this week, and I don't think it should be arbitrarily given out, the best should win.

What is with Ugne and gaudy decoration? She often has very good bakes but shoots herself in the food with tacky icing that Paul and Mary clearly don't like.

What was Flora thinking with the simple showstoppper after Dorret's lazy effort last week?

Scarinae wrote: »
    I think my favourite thing about the Bake Off so far is Nadiya's facial expressions! I don't think she'll win overall but I hope she stays in until close to the end because she's very entertaining.

I have a bit of a crush on Tamal :o

Love Nadiya and have a feeling she'll be around until near the end. She's talented, she just seems to doubt herself a bit.

Tamal is gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think Flora is skating on thin ice now. She made no effort in the cheesecake show stopper at all. I like Naydia - she doesn't realise how good she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I think Flora is skating on thin ice now. She made no effort in the cheesecake show stopper at all. I like Naydia - she doesn't realise how good she is.
    She has been a bit hit and miss-I can't see her winning but I love how happy she comes across when she is cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

Agreed. The genius and dedication it took to hit on reducing fizzy drinks down to syrups to flavour the cheesecakes!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

kylith wrote: »
    Agreed. The genius and dedication it took to hit on reducing fizzy drinks down to syrups to flavour the cheesecakes!

I had a long discussion with a colleague today about whether cream soda cheesecake sounds amazing or disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I had a long discussion with a colleague today about whether cream soda cheesecake sounds amazing or disgusting

Hmm well I would be willing to taste it if anyone wants to make it - purely for research purposes! :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I love cream soda, so I think the cheesecake version would be lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

kylith wrote: »

When I saw her do that, my first reaction was why she didn't buy a ready made syrup, or at least the soda stream cream soda mix. I suppose though, she got the taste and consistency she wanted.

I think Nadiya is very good, she's very steady. As is Tamal.

So far those two and Ian have been the most consistent.

No offence to Flora, but the more I think about it, for not attempting the Showstopper I think the contestants should be automatically eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

What really confused me about Flora is that she went to so much unnecessary bother with her signature, adding tuiles and rhubarb petals and whatnot, but then didn't put much effort into the showstopper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loved Extra Slice tonight. Sandy is just so likeable. She's mental. And that chef guy that was on the panel seems like such a lovely guy. Sometimes the chefs are real dicks but he was really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Is an extra slice repeated do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It sounds disgusting, but kudos to her for doing it.
    Addle wrote: »
    Is an extra slice repeated do you know?

It's on the iplayer. If you're using Chrome you can get the Hola proxy so you can watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

fussyonion wrote: »

Meh, hardly damning. The "source" is rather vague. Even if he did chat to his friend, that doesn't equate to anywhere near professional training.

fussyonion wrote: »

A tabloid trying to blow a story out of proportion. The other contestants will be getting ideas and suggestions from friends, colleagues, books, magazines, Google and anywhere else.

The trick about blitzing caramel and grilling it for brulee is well known, even I knew it and apart from bread I'm not a big baker.

They're looking for a bit of controversy and because everyone is so nice they're not finding any so they have to stir things somehow. It's sad really.

They're looking for a bit of controversy and because everyone is so nice they're not finding any so they have to stir things somehow. It's sad really.

Every day, the Daily Mail has some article or other putting the show down. It's pathetic.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Every day, the Daily Mail has some article or other putting the show down. It's pathetic.

Funny thing is the more they do that the more people watch, so they can be offended/outraged at something.

Win/win for GBBO.

We need a second series over winter !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

The mail had an article on Ian yesterday too about him cooking road kill for his family! The mail loves a good story - shame that wasn't one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Red Kev wrote: »
    We need a second series over winter !!!!!

A Christmas/Winter themed series or even episode would be great considering all of the foods that are baked around that time of year. Christmas cakes, mince pies, gingerbread, yule logs...I'm sure there are loads more from other countries that we don't get here too.

I'm binge watching season 4 on Good Food and one of them came last in the technical but did so well in the show stopper that he was given star baker. Poor Paul only got the special mention when he did his lion!

I'm binge watching season 4 on Good Food and one of them came last in the technical but did so well in the show stopper that he was given star baker. Poor Paul only got the special mention when he did his lion!

Did any contestants do as well as Ian did that week though?

All set for the Bake Off! :)

I loved the Extra Slice, I watched it for the first time last week... It was worth it just to see Mary Berry trying popping candy for the first time :D And I loved Ugne on the stairlift too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Tonight's accompanying dish
    Shredded wheat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Gluten free bread, this should be interesting! (From a coeliac point of view)

Sugar free cake? I've made them with dates, honey and almonds.

My Mum made me a dark chocolate and mint cake once that used courgettes instead of sugar, it was actually really lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Red Kev wrote: »
    Sugar free cake? I've made them with dates, honey and almonds.

It seems too simplistic?

• Advertisement

It's not easy to make cake without sugar. You're taking out an awful lot of volume and replacing it with stuff that doesn't have much volume. Then you hand to consider whether your substitute is any healthier than using sugar. I'd rather make a cake with a small amount of sugar than one with loads of honey. Glad they're doing it this week. It's a great idea.

Advertisement