Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2015 (Mod Warning: Post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Relaly enjoyed this last night. Mary made a very funny face when she tasted Ian's ice cream cake and I wish I'd paused the tv to take a picture, it was very saucy, lol. Did anyone else spot that or was I just imagning things? Am still hankering after baked cheesecaske since last week....must add ice cream cake to the list now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

miamee wrote: »
    Relaly enjoyed this last night. Mary made a very funny face when she tasted Ian's ice cream cake and I wish I'd paused the tv to take a picture, it was very saucy, lol. Did anyone else spot that or was I just imagning things? Am still hankering after baked cheesecaske since last week....must add ice cream cake to the list now :eek:

I saw it too! Lol
    My sister and I have a a 'date' every Wednesday at 8pm where we watch the Bake Off together and constantly text throughout (she's in England)

I was like haha Emily did you see Mary's face - she'd missed it!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who spotted it, very funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Anyone else find last night's episode boring? I found I wasn't really that interested. I know it's great that they have incorporated "free from" section in the bake off which will surely interest and benefit a lot of people. But I'm the other end of "free from", I'm more of a "plenty of" person!!
    The Extra Slice should be interesting this week, see what Jo makes of "free from" bakes!
    I did think Naydia, Alvin and Tamal are doing great. Ian is good too but yeah there is something about him, I dunno what it is, but I don't find myself rooting for him. Flora is skating on thin ice, unless she completely pulls it out of the bag next week in the show stopper, she will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I thought it was a great episode. I'm all for lashing bags of sugar into my baking but my husband is diabetic and it's tough to find desserts that suit him. We usually just go for a little bit of something regular on occasion but I'm definitely going to make that upside down pineapple cake. Gluten free baking isn't easy so the technical was a real challenge. The dairy free ice cream rolls looked great too. Ice cream made from coconut milk is really good. All the other weeks have regular baking. It was nice to see something completely different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I zoned out aswell, boring low quality efforts compared to other eps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Sunny Dayz wrote:
    Ian is good too but yeah there is something about him, I dunno what it is,
    He doesn't look like he eats his own produce-can't trust him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I think flora should go next. That's 2 weeks now she's kind of cheated in the show stopper

How did she cheating in last week's? She made it too simple, don't really see how that cheating.

Glad Ugne is gone. She came across as completely desperate to win.

I'm loathing Ian more with each week that passes. Would love to see him gone. He just comes across as SO smug.

His talking head bit after last week's star baker win ("Humble me" - cringe) and his comments on Paul not liking the pear in his first bake show his dislikeable side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

It's time :)

• Advertisement

Mulled wine frangipane oh yes please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Frangipane is not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Timing got Alvin again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I do a frangipane style topping on mince pies, yum yum
    Nadiya's sounds nice
    Matt's sounds a bit mental
    I'm about 15 minutes behind tonight, Home and Away was deemed more important :D

Poor Alvin, and Ian wasnt in the good books

Weird technical

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I just love tamal.
    Pity he came last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I just love tamal.
    Pity he came last

It was a bit unfair challenge though. he's been very consistent throughout the show. I can see him in the final. But I hope Nadiya does well.

The technical was silly... seemed a bit unfair to judge so closely on the appearance when they were given only sketchy direction in the recipe. Didn't enjoy it as much as other technicals to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Bye bye Alvin :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Aw sad to see that person go. I liked them from the start. What a surprise tonight's star baker was going on past history, but well deserved tonight.

I really like Matt, he's a funny guy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

"How do you fan your plums, Alvin" :D

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Weird technical

Yeah, the technicals are annoying me. It seems very much luck who does well in them. And how can Mary judge them if she's never had one? I wish they would make the instructions clearer, it would make for better bakes with more suspenseful judging, not just people lucking into doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I always find it strange how the contestants are given just the basic methods.
    I'd be standing there looking gormless if I were them!

Those cheese bread things (folas? fonas? what was it called?!) looked gorgeous!

Why the heck does Flora: a) Do that thing with her lip when things are going wrong? and b) Put flowers on feckin everything?!

I was glad Ian's bake didn't turn out right; he really is so smug at times.

God, I love Mel & Sue. It wouldn't be the same without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Ian was so bloody smug when he was saying that the eggs were from his own Guinea Fowl. I used to have 12-24 Guinea Fowl, only used the eggs once or twice for cooking, way better to raise chicks and sell them. The meat off them is fantastic, way better than chicken or turkey IMO.

I actually liked Floras flowers on the chocolate vol-au-vents, a slight nod to Cadbury's.

Pity Alvin is gone but they wanted him out after the first two challenges and they wanted Nadiya in.

Very hard to judge who is going to win this. If she can hold it together I'd tip Nadiya, but she's had a few disasters as well, like the vol-au-vents.

I agree the technical is beginning to lose credibility if the instructions are so vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I don't know what's wrong with me. For the second week in a row I just zoned out of GBBO, this week more so than last week. Usually I watch it, licking my lips, trying to figure out which dish I like the best. This week I barely paid any attention. Not liking the technical lately - they seem to be pulling our things from the bottom of a barrel that no-one has ever heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Tamal was hilarious last night, he had me laughing out loud when he was talking about the inspiration for his rosemary infused pulled pork - 'I had a pork sandwich once. It is up there in my top 2 sandwiches. I still think about that sandwich a lot'
    Hahaha!

And then Mat had me laughing with all the little vol-au-vent tops scattered around his feet, then getting on the floor and furiously chopping the bacon.
    When they were served up and egg was all runny I was nearly licking the TV screen, they looked divine!!

Really enjoyed this week although I wasn't keen on the weird Cypriot cheese pastry thing - that was a bit boring.

Can't wait for Victorian week! That should be fab - I'd say Flora is wetting herself over the thoughts of all the pretty, flowery things she can make!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Really loved the franzipan tart idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm waiting for the day when the technical just has a heap of weird ingredients and the instructions are just "make a weinbaumkugel" and nothing else. At least on Masterchef they give you some idea of what you're supposed to do. And Paul being all 'it doesn't look like a flauna'. Well, Paul, that's probably because no-one has ever seen one and you've given them no idea of what it's supposed to look like!

Advertisement