Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Air Show

Options
  • 20-07-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I was at the Bray Air Show yesterday and what a great day it was, 90,000 thousand people turned out on the day and yes there was no a single protestor in sight, the blow ins and anti war groups are the ones responsible for Bray being where it is today because the chased the biggest Air Show in Ireland at Salthill out of the City, what a tragic loss this is to Galway, they had US Jets there and no pot or kettle bangers or anyone causing problems for the organisers unlike the carry on that went on here. The loss of the Air Show to Salthill and Galway now has the business people and tourism people in Bray laughing all the way to the bank and also denying the people of Salthill and Galway the wonderful entertainment that we had when it was on, I am bloody mad about this.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm not sensing the anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

Wasn't it due to funding that it was cancelled rather than a couple of Moaning Michaels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

i went to all the air shows in salthill. Never once saw a protester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

i went to all the air shows in salthill. Never once saw a protester

Must be blind so I saw them at several air shows walking through Salthill and Protesting outside the Waterfront hotel , the funding was a problem because with people protesting against something its difficult for a company to become involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Aerohead wrote: »
    Must be blind so I saw them at several air shows walking through Salthill and Protesting outside the Waterfront hotel , the funding was a problem because with people protesting against something its difficult for a company to become involved.

nope 20 20 vision. Just didnt see them.

• Advertisement

The f*cking GAAW or whatever the f*ck they are can f*ck right off.

Mod - let's be nice thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Didn't a piece of an RAF helicopter fall onto the beach on Salthill injuring people? This was bad publicity and helped to put an end to it as far as I remember.I liked the air show.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From Galway Independent at the time. <link no longer working>
    According to organisers, the show had been incurring losses "year on year" and the "nightmarish issues" thrown up by the logistics as well as opposition from the anti-war movement have made it too difficult to continue.
    Mr Farrell also suggested that insurance was a factor in the air show's cancellation, following last year's accident. A door came off a helicopter at last year's event, hitting a spectator.

However, this has been refuted by the main organiser Brian McGrath, who said the cancellation was down to the high costs of the show and funding difficulties.

I posted this back in 2009 and in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Loved that Air Show so sad to see it gone.:(

Indeed, it was a great day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

nope 20 20 vision. Just didnt see them.
    They used to take over a section of beach and throw themselves to the sand whenever a plane passed over. Feigning being attacked... :rolleyes:

There were two hanging CND flags from a pedestrian bridge on the way into Shannon on Saturday. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It was a very exciting day out in Salthill, the buzz around the place was fantastic the kids loved going to it, as was said I really miss it especially after looking at Bray on the news last night with the fairground the planes and the huge crowd they had there, bring it back please.

I was living in Barna at the height of the airshow. It was so lovely to stand on the pier and watch the planes flying out over Galway bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I was living in Barna at the height of the airshow. It was so lovely to stand on the pier and watch the planes flying out over Galway bay.

Provided ya didn't get hit by falling doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A door that was so light it fluttered down to earth like a leaf. It fell so slowly that observant people warned those underneath to move but they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

MargeS wrote: »
    They used to take over a section of beach and throw themselves to the sand whenever a plane passed over. Feigning being attacked... :rolleyes:

All the more reason to come to see the show. Double the entertainment.

Muppets.

Mod - let's be nice thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You would do well to get hit by a falling door in Barna from a plane out over the Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It was a good show, good for Galway.

There will always be protestors if US forces involved.

To satisfy them may require attendance by Russian, Chinese or North Korean planes.
    I gather the Russians do pass down the West coast at times. They might oblige by showing up in Salthill

I don't really follow the Aviation forum but I suppose there is something under way to bring the show back to Salthill?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

biko wrote: »
    I don't really follow the Aviation forum but I suppose there is something under way to bring the show back to Salthill?

From what I have heard it would be very unlikely to get all the disparate groups to agree. The Red Bull Air Race should of been over the bay instead of in Cashel.

Galway has the best public combined with the worse Council.

• Advertisement
Advertisement