Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Chargers

• 20-07-2015 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

so after reading an article on it i'm beginning to think i am not alone in having a lot of problems with Apple chargers,

i am wondering if people on boards are having similar issues?

i have a macbook, ipad and iphone,

my original macbook charger lasted about two years before it started to unravel just below the magsafe part, i taped it up and it continued to charge without issue for another year when it then started charging sporadically, as it was out of warranty i bought a new official apple charger, this lasted 12 months (never unravelled) but again started charging sporadically.

i had the old charger for my ipad, it still works perfectly 3/4 years later no unravelling no problems,

i've gone through two lightning cables in two years, i keep getting 'this accessory may not be supported' with two of them, my newest one works perfectly so far, and the one in my car for the past year is working just fine too.

i am not rough on my chargers (i never have problems with chargers for other devices, which are treated identically if not rougher (by rougher i mean moved about more) than the apple ones) they are plugged into the wall and only the ends are touched plugging into and out of my devices at night (i switch off the wall switch during the day), i am careful to not just pull it out or pull the phone.

is it just me or is there anything i can do to get more than a year from a €90 charger or the lightning cables?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 1irishninja

My wall plugs all work fine however I have had issues with lightening cables, They seem to go after about a year giving the same error as yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ive never had an issue with any chargers tbh. Ipad user from day 1(In the States) and also iPhone user since the 5s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Never had a problem with the 30-pin connectors, but I'm going through lightning cables like fúck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I've gone through 1 charger in 3 years of owning a MBP, mine just stopped working one day, 85 quid to replace it gave me a fright but I wouldn't put a third party one in....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Never had a charger or OEM cable fail on me since IP3. Gone through them all up to present - on the IP6.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’ve never had an Apple charger fail on me either and I’ve had multiple iPods, iPads, iPhones and Macs over the years.

Apple mice on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

they will fail, given enough abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

nightster1 wrote: »
    they will fail, given enough abuse.

As will most things.
    I've never had one fail either, I have a 2 metre lightning about 20 months and I still have a 30 Pin that I got with my 3GS in 2010

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Some of mine are now starting to give trouble, and haven't been abused. Starting to get "the accessory not supported" error. Sometimes putting in the cable the other way around sorts it. From the outside they look perfect, and don't get a hard life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Might be the port mine was full of crap from my pocket
    Cleaned it out and the cables that gave those messages now work fine
    Use a paper clip or toothpick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Never had any hassle with either 30 pin or lighting cables. Still have my 30 pin from when I got my original iPod mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

On my 3rd MBP charger, 2 under warranty, mag safe ends keep failing. this is over 6 year period though and thats the only thing that has gone wrong with the laptop so can't really complain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I'm still rocking my original 2008 MBP charger, but I don't take it many places these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Creme fraiche

have had one lightning cable come apart but got that with my iPhone 5, which was used and abused unlike any of my other iPhones. still have an original iPhone lying around with its 30pin working perfectly fine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I tried, as I had advised may before, to clean out the charging port on the phone with toothpicks/paperclips. I was getting fed up of the accessory not supported, and was on the verge of throwing out an original Apple cable. After trying iPads, it was only the phone giving the error. Cleaned again, same error. Blasted the charging port with compressed air and hey presto!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I go through a lot of lightning charge cables. I used to think the old charge cable was bad but this one is worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

adox wrote: »
    Ive never had an issue with any chargers tbh. Ipad user from day 1(In the States) and also iPhone user since the 5s.

Shouldnt have said anything. Now have a split in the side of my lightning cable in the car!!

Still working though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

I had two MacBook chargers fail. Bought between 2007-2011. The latest one that came with my retina MacBook Pro in 2012 is still going strong though. They seem to have improved them.

Advertisement