Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Specific Runners

Options
  • 20-07-2015 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Anyone here have runners they use almost solely (no pun intended) for the run section of a tri?

I recently made the switch to asics (GT-2000) from nike and when they got wet on the run yesterday they shredded my once lovely feet. I have blisters on blisters. Never happened before.

Im guessing the combo of getting wet and bare feet did the trick.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

yup. pair of brooks pure drift i wear only for races. too light not wear for regular training

only had an issue with them at Joey Hannon olympic, but that's the only time i did an oly distance in them. (they sat unused at Kilkee :(

At joey i ended up with serious blisters on both feet, but i'd only worn them once before that. since then have worn for a few sprints and had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I have a pair of Saucony A5 I only wear for races and have just got a pair of Mizuno Ekiden 9 for the same thing. Have worn them on a few short easy runs just to see how they were but other than that only for races. Worn them in all conditions and over sprint and Olympic and no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I use Saucony Kinvara for Sprint and Olympic races. Never had any issues with blisters or the like and I always run sockless with them.

I was concerned about running sockless in them for Aquathons but no issues thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

Maybe the asics just need to be broken in a little more.. I was running sockless in nikes for years with no trouble at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

mossym wrote: »
    yup. pair of brooks pure drift i wear only for races. too light not wear for regular training

only had an issue with them at Joey Hannon olympic, but that's the only time i did an oly distance in them. (they sat unused at Kilkee :(

At joey i ended up with serious blisters on both feet, but i'd only worn them once before that. since then have worn for a few sprints and had no issues.

I like the pure drift although I would not call them a racing shoe, they would be rotated as my distance shoe, actually i think i used them in my last IM run/shuffle.

I used to use the brooks T5 for racing which is a much lighter shoe. Not sure what the new version of that model is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

barefoot running but unlike Hauss I get dq ed if I do so
    shansey wrote: »
    Anyone here have runners they use almost solely (no pun intended) for the run section of a tri?

I recently made the switch to asics (GT-2000) from nike and when they got wet on the run yesterday they shredded my once lovely feet. I have blisters on blisters. Never happened before.

Im guessing the combo of getting wet and bare feet did the trick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I like the pure drift although I would not call them a racing shoe, they would be rotated as my distance shoe, actually i think i used them in my last IM run/shuffle.

I used to use the brooks T5 for racing which is a much lighter shoe. Not sure what the new version of that model is.

is it racing shoes or shoes kept specifically for racing he means? i took it as the latter

i wouldn;t call the drift a pure racing shoe either, but i'm putting a lot more weight down through it and it's about as light as i'd like to go. pure flow more my longer distance race shoe

I meant a tri specific racing shoe.. reluctant to call them flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I meant a tri specific racing shoe.. reluctant to call them flats.

i suspect you mean something that won't shred your feet. Thats not tri specific just comfortable :)

The lesson I've learned thus far is to wear what you feel comfortable in and not be concerned about what you feel you should be wearing.. Always looked at the nikes as being fashionable/superficial and not for serious runners.. i'll give the asics another couple of weeks and do Caroline Kearney and see where I stand then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A lot of the newer shoes are being designed with seamless liners so there is less chance of shredding the feet.

peter kern wrote: »
    barefoot running but unlike Hauss I get dq ed if I do so

ITU rules changed in December 2014. It is now legal to race barefoot in triathlon.

AKW wrote: »
    ITU rules changed in December 2014. It is now legal to race barefoot in triathlon.

Someone should have told the pros. A lot of them thought he should have been DQ'ed at the weekend. You'd imagine they'd know the rules or that their federations would at least inform them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Don't want to be Hijacking your thread but as ye are talking about runners I use saucony kinvara 4s for tri and find them really nice, I've used them in sprint and Olympic with no problems, planning to use them for the Lost Sheep in a few weeks but as they are pretty light and minimalist I will be looking for a new shoe for Challenge Galway- what would anyone suggest as a marathon/long distance shoe, also something that doesn't break the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

I use Zoot tri specific - think they are called advantage but they have a quick lace system and heel loop. More than 5 years old and only wear for tris (oly or sprint). Never had a blister and designed for sock less wear.

Love them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I'm using Musha Wave at the moment purely for racing. Never sockless though

Trig1 wrote: »
    Don't want to be Hijacking your thread but as ye are talking about runners I use saucony kinvara 4s for tri and find them really nice, I've used them in sprint and Olympic with no problems, planning to use them for the Lost Sheep in a few weeks but as they are pretty light and minimalist I will be looking for a new shoe for Challenge Galway- what would anyone suggest as a marathon/long distance shoe, also something that doesn't break the bank

I'd say you should try the Saucony Triumph if you like the Kinvara. AFAIK they're for the longer stuff. I tried the new model recently - a very nice shoe. Maybe AKW can add his thoughts?

anywhere to buy Zoot runners in Ireland? The Kalani looks decent.

anywhere to buy Zoot runners in Ireland? The Kalani looks decent.

Used to be distributed by Cycle Super Store in Dublin.

I think this changed a couple of years ago as most Irish shops have been clearing old stock. Not sure who is carrying them now.

Advertisement