Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blueface - Odd ringing tone.

Options
  • 20-07-2015 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭

I've had callers comment on incoming calls having a 'strange' ringing tone. So, I called the landline myself and every so many calls it seems to hit a different server that's playing out what I would describe as an 'approximation' of an Irish ring tone. It sounds very high pitched.

I've had people ask if I was roaming (odd as it's a landline).

Surely these things are easy to get right?

Irish, British, NZ, Hong Kong etc all use the same ringing tone.

It's 400 Hz and 450 Hz played simultaneously

0.4-second pulse, a 0.2-second pause, a 0.4-second pulse, and a 2-second pause

Took me 2 seconds to Wiki that! Surely it's just a matter of keying in the correct tone details to the server so it does't play out stuff that makes me sound like I'm using something odd.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Do you have any recordings of it that you could share? Is it the same for outgoing calls?

I noticed this before that it happened randomly with them.

UK ring tones are slightly different to the Irish ones but almost sound identical. BT sounds a bit more higher pitched to Eircom if you listen carefully.

UK: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+indications+UK

Irish ring indications for Asterisk are as follows:

[ie]
    description = Ireland
    ringcadance = 400,200,400,2000
    dial = 425
    busy = 425/450,0/450
    ring = 400+450/400,0/200,400+450/400,0/2000
    congestion = 425/375,0/375
    callwaiting = 425/200,0/200,425/200,0/4000
    dialrecall = 440
    record = 1400/500,0/10000
    info = 950/330,1400/330,1800/330

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The BT tones for engaged/busy, dial tone etc are totally different to eircom, but the ringing tone is clearly exactly the same spec and intended to sound the same. To most people's ears it would sound identical.

There may be little differences caused by differences in exchange equipment as Eircom and BT use different vendors for exchanges.

I know even when I moved house between in Ireland from an area that had an Ericsson switch to one that had an Alcatel switch it was quite obvious when you picked up the landline that they were different. The announcements were different, the tones were a tiny bit different too but they were still aiming to achieve the same spec.

You probably get tiny differences in audio between the mobile networks, different landline switches, UPC etc but they'd all be almost identical unless you were being incredibly geeky about it.

That kind of thing wouldn't be relevant and I wouldn't think callers would notice.

The Blueface ringing tone is not just a little different though.

It's way off and it's not on every call either, it's only the odd one here and there. It's much much higher pitch. Sounds like some kind of US tone or something. Just sounded strange and was enough to cause a couple of people to ask if I was abroad.

It sounds like one of several servers is setup with a wrong tone as it's only hitting every once in while.

---

I would actually prefer if Irish phones just used the standard European ringing tones as it would avoid all this nonsense about people knowing if you're abroad roaming :)

Also, I notice Blueface seem to replace the ringing tone on calls to foreign numbers. Handy but odd sometimes .. I rang France for example and got the Irish ring tone and initially thought I'd misdialled.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Ah I see. I noticed that before and only on some calls. It's as if one server is configured with the wrong tones on their side? I would still not think it's as if it's roaming though?

If all the European tones were the same it would be so much easier!

It may be one of their providers. Have you contacted Blueface?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Mr. G wrote: »
    Ah I see. I noticed that before and only on some calls. It's as if one server is configured with the wrong tones on their side? I would still not think it's as if it's roaming though?

If all the European tones were the same it would be so much easier!

It may be one of their providers. Have you contacted Blueface?

I must drop them a line later on.

I guess, not every country uses European tones, so people have assumed I was roaming maybe in the Far east.

Advertisement