Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on name change and L2 Visa please!

Options
  • 20-07-2015 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi there folks, I have a quick question regarding names and L2 visa if you don't mind
    I am wondering about visa and name change after marriage. I am due to get married in a weeks time and was intending on keeping my name for now.
    However our situation has just changed, my husband to be is being moved to the states with work and I will be sponsored under his L1a Visa (L2 visa).

All good so far, according to Immihelp, I can have the visa issued in my maiden name and that isnt a problem. My question is if I decide to change my name when we have kids, will I need to reapply for the visa under my married name? I wonder if it might just be easier to have a new passport issued before the visa application goes in and just change to my married name now. Any recommendations or suggestions welcome! Also any advice from people already living in the states on L1/L2 Visas on the whole process would be great!

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Hi there folks, I have a quick question regarding names and L2 visa if you don't mind
    I am wondering about visa and name change after marriage. I am due to get married in a weeks time and was intending on keeping my name for now.
    However our situation has just changed, my husband to be is being moved to the states with work and I will be sponsored under his L1a Visa (L2 visa).

All good so far, according to Immihelp, I can have the visa issued in my maiden name and that isnt a problem. My question is if I decide to change my name when we have kids, will I need to reapply for the visa under my married name? I wonder if it might just be easier to have a new passport issued before the visa application goes in and just change to my married name now. Any recommendations or suggestions welcome! Also any advice from people already living in the states on L1/L2 Visas on the whole process would be great!

Thank you in advance!

We got informed of all this when we went through the initial process. My wife is spanish, and it isn't traditional there to change your name after marriage, however they told us the process anyway.

One tip...if you aren't yet married, it means the visa process hasn't started yet (at least for you, as L2 is a dependent visa). Do it ASAP (ie get a new passport before you start applying). Otherwise it is a bit of a process to do.

You won't need to apply for a visa again, but you will always need to carry two passports (your "married one" and the one your visa is in). Your EAD and SS card will both be with your maiden name, and it is a pain to change them too.

We never bothered, as my wife didn't see the point and also - kids aren't on our agenda - however, if you intend to do it in the future, better to do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 caveatemptor1

Great thank you for all that, I think it is probably much easier for me to get a new passport as soon as we get back from honeymoon. No holding out on starting until after the wedding and its all happened in the last couple of weeks so just trying to get our heads clear on the process.

Thanks again!

Advertisement