Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XB1 External HD help needed

Options
  • 20-07-2015 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi need help please as had problem before so back to square one.

Son's XB1 over 80% full. Bought 500gb external USB 3.0 to expand. Plugged into XB1 and seemed ok. Gave to friend to put movies on it. No computer recognised it. I research since and it appears that the XB1 formatted it and then the Pc didn't recognise etc. Brought back to Argos who thankfully changed when I said wouldn't work. So have have brand new unopened 500gb drive.
    Can I have games and movies on this ??? Should I have just games ??.
    Do I give to pal first to put movies on and then try play on Xbox.???
    Need some simple basic instruction please.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Once it's formatted to be used with the XB1 you can't use it for anything else, there might be a way to format only part of it but I have no idea how you would go about it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

The console doesn't accommodate multiple partitions and just formats the whole drive which is unfortunate on a 'next gen' machine. OP you would need a separate hard drive for media until microsoft implement support for multiple partitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Thanks for that guys. So can I use the new external HD just to expand memory of XB1 ??? Secondly if I buy another external HD and put movies on it from pal, can I play them on XB1 ???

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sasso wrote: »
    Thanks for that guys. So can I use the new external HD just to expand memory of XB1 ??? Secondly if I buy another external HD and put movies on it from pal, can I play them on XB1 ???

Yeah you can play movies on the XB1 from a normal hard drive. You'll need to download the Media Player App to watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Thanks, I know probably a head wrecker but I don't use Xbox. Do I get son to do that on his Xbox home page or how do that please ??.

• Advertisement

Sasso wrote: »
    Thanks, I know probably a head wrecker but I don't use Xbox. Do I get son to do that on his Xbox home page or how do that please ??.

To get the app? Yeah you do it from the console, just search for media player app in the store and he should find it handy enough, it's a free app.

Advertisement