Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

model baler

• 20-07-2015 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

hi guys
    looking a making a model baler for my two young son for the back of there rolly tractor.

welding frame etc. from 1 inch galv piping two questions.

1. need to be able to open the door at back to let bale out .

thinking about a small compressor onto a cylinder to open and close powered off a battery pack???ideas maybe simpler idea

2.need to get stickers made up to personalize same .where /who???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

1)
      I'd be more inclined to run some wire through tubing up the side of the rear door and along the top. Use some flexible tubing to bridge the door and top to ensure the wire is out of the way. Then have the wire run to a motor mounted on the inside. Hook up two buttons on the outside and they can control it from the outside. I wouldn't be comfortable using an air compressor in a kids toy.
      You could also put it on a hand crank first to see how it goes and then add in the motor at a later stage.
      You should probably get some slow close hinges so if it goes wrong, its not going to drop the door onto little fingers.
      Does the door have to open upwards? Could you redesign to open down like a tailgate? Might simply it a little and wooden toggles could be used to hold it up when closed.

2)
      Print out the separate parts of the logo on A4 paper and use them as a stencil. Paint might be better in terms of wear and tear than stickers.
      Another option would be contact paper. You can get it for dirt cheap. Get a yellow roll and if you are decent with a knife/scalpel you could cut the logo out. Cover with a layer of varnish and should be pretty weather resilient I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Like your ideas of soft hinges

Door really has to open up as he is flat out making bales from aero are and the last of the roll of black plastic.

Going to build frame and rear door and see what kind of pressure it is to lift . Maybe a gas strut or something to keep it up .

Not great with a knife but could cut it with scissors from a4 plaper easy enough.

We see how it goes

Advertisement