Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12-month lease - notice if moving out

Options
  • 20-07-2015 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

assume i rent a house and take out a 12month lease. assume the lease only mentions what i must do if i want to stay on.

if i intend to leave after the 12mths, am i obliged to give notice? i have looked online and it seems to suggest that you dont need to give notice for a fixed term lease, then another place said i did.

secondly, if the required notice is not given - can the full deposit be withheld?

thirdly, if the notice is given in the wrong format - can the full deposit be withheld?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I don't think you are obliged. The wording of the law allows the landlord to recoup reletting fees if notice isn't given on the intention of staying, i.e. it assumes if you say nothing then you are honouring the lease and will leave at the end.

Secondly and thirdly, no the deposit may not be withheld, as no cost has been borne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭patricksmyth

can you link me to where it says this on the prtb or other website please? i'm sure i read it before but i can't find it now. thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I must correct myself, the tenant must give notice even for a fixed term tenancy. This is detailed in Part 5 of the RTA 2004.

I would still say a deposit cannot be retained for the notice. They could claim for lost rent, if there was a presumption of continuing under part 4 but nothing to allow automatic forfeiture of the entire deposit (the landlord is obliged to mitigate the loss by re-renting quickly). I would say the landlord would be remiss to not contact their tenant around a month before the end of the fixed term to find out their intentions. I also highly doubt that tenants normally end their tenancies with a written and signed notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

If you are intending to leave at the end of your lease, I would suggest that you contact the landlord to arrange an inspection of the property at least 2 weeks before you leave. This will allow you to rectify any issues that there may be and thus not deductible from your deposit.

Advertisement