Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Android OS" using huge amounts of wifi data (70+ GB)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Update.

Average hourly consumption was in the 500-600 MB region.
    Weirdly, the last hour spiked at 2GB, and the only thing I noticed is that I casted three youtube videos to a Chromecast device. I have three of them in the house.

Coincidence? Maybe not. But I'm going to disconnect all of them for a few hours tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.

Clutching at straws... I know I need to do a traffic analysis but I'm a bit suspicious of installing a fake cert on my phone and I'm not technically capable of the proxy and wireshark methodology. Need to set aside some time to figure out how to do it but I'm struggling to get a few hours kid / wife free.

Man, you don't gotta house, you gotta Data Centre, you may be "The Cloud"....

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Small update but I tested today connecting to both a wifi hotspot (another android device) and a hotel wifi connection.
    Android OS behaved normally on both connections, no large data consumption.

So, this issue involves something particular to my phone/ Google account AND my home wifi.

Ok, 9 pages later and if this actually has sorted it I'm gonna feel like a serious idiot for deleting 4 years of Google photos etc.

Set a static ip on my device.
    Did that for both access points in the house.

30 mins later and 'Android os' has transferred no data.

If this fixes it does anyone know how I can unroot the device? I need 'Good For Enterprise' for my work email and it will not permit access from a rooted device.

Thanks again for all your help. I will update again in 24 hours if the solution is still valid.
    I've no comprehension of why this happened I am just glad that it is (hopefully) sorted.

Ok, 9 pages later and if this actually has sorted it I'm gonna feel like a serious idiot for deleting 4 years of Google photos etc.

Set a static ip on my device.
    Did that for both access points in the house.

30 mins later and 'Android os' has transferred no data.

If this fixes it does anyone know how I can unroot the device? I need 'Good For Enterprise' for my work email and it will not permit access from a rooted device.

Thanks again for all your help. I will update again in 24 hours if the solution is still valid.
    I've no comprehension of why this happened I am just glad that it is (hopefully) sorted.

Great, and congrats....I did suggest, but not with any great hope :)
    or just take the sim out!!

or put the phone in aeroplane mode, then reconnect wifi....to ensure no radio is operating.

I'd also give the phone a static IP, one outside your router's DHCP IP pool.

And note your phones MAC address.

Maybe use a public DNS, like Googles, instead of your providers.

For wireshark.....

Solution for GFE, maybe.... Xposed modules, worth doing anyway!!

See this:

http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.phantasm.xposed.gfesecuritypatcher

Great, and congrats....I did suggest, but not with any great hope :)

See this:

On the ball, you did too, I apologise I must have missed it.
    I'm still absolutely lost as to why this happens, but I accept I may never know the reason.

Will give that apk a shot, is it just a standard app install?

See this:

Seems to only work up to Good v 2.7.1 although based on the play store comments Good has problems with 5.0.x which could be my issue.

Anyway, thanks all, end thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Plenty of apps out there to hide root, on a phone atm but I think they're alloed on the app store so just search.

On the ball, you did too, I apologise I must have missed it.
    I'm still absolutely lost as to why this happens, but I accept I may never know the reason.

Will give that apk a shot, is it just a standard app install?

No apology needed at all, it was good craic.....:D

It was just a shot in the dark really, but glad it worked out so far....it is still a puzzle!!

You need to have the xposed framework installed for any module to work, and there are so many in the repository.....

I'm not sure of your Android version, but there will be a suitable xposed framework here, at the XDA support forum.

Also, for your device, there is info here.....OnePlusOne specific stuff.

http://www.oneplushub.net/2015/03/xposed-framework-for-oneplus-one.html

and here:

http://www.oneplushub.net/2015/04/xposed-for-lollipop.html

Advertisement