Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing health insurance mid-term

• 20-07-2015 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭

I have health insurance since early January with Aviva, for myself, my husband and two children. The policy cost us around 1,400 and we pay monthly to Aviva (around 115 pm).

I got a new job which gives health insurance for me and my children. So I had hoped to cancel our insurance to use the new employers one, and leave my husband on the Aviva policy that we had (or even maybe get him a better policy). I rang Aviva and they're saying because I'm listed as the main adult if I want to leave we must cancel the policy in full for all of us and then my husband can sign up again in his name. Which isn't too bad until they tell me there would be a cancellation charge of €400 eur to cancel from the start of August.

This seems madness given that to just continue paying for all 4 of us for the 5 months left would only cost €580 in the direct debits. If we pay 400 to cancel we'd still have to pay for the next 5 months for my husband anyway.

Does anyone know if there is any way around this - I didnt think to ask but would they allow us to change the main name and then a few weeks later we could cancel us as 'dependants'? Guessing not but worth a chance maybe.

If I can only cancel with paying that charge I presume my best option is to ask my new employer not to sign me onto their health insurance until January (because I would have to pay BIK on that once I'm on it).

Very frustrating situation!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its a 12 month contract. No way out I'm afraid bar to pay the cancellation fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Had this problem ourselves, my wife was given health insurance through her work. Aviva sent out a cancellation fee letter for our existing policy which was to be stopped after notifying them. They sent another one and another one. They stopped after that. Haven't heard from them since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Yeah, you'll get letter after letter but it's not worth their while to go any further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Thanks for the replies. It might sound stupid but I really don't fancy getting demand letters and ignoring them. I'm thinking now the best way to go is not to take the health insurance from the new job until my current policy is up in January.

Advertisement