Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property survey

Options
  • 20-07-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering ball park what is the going rate for a building survey before you purchase. We're planning to buy a house but don't know what we should be budgeting for it. It's a 2500sqq ft detached 1980s bungalow on about an acre.
    What did you guys pay for surveys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I bought a small cottage recently in the West of Ireland with an acre of land. Survey for the house and to map the boundaries cost me €350.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sami2015

I paid €350 +23% VAT (€430.5) for a survey of a house a few months ago in Dublin. This didn't include mapping of boundaries etc but was what I think was a fairly detailed inspection of the property and highlighted a number of issues which I hadn't even considered!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

out of curiosity Sami did you act on any of the issues pointed out to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

I got a property survey done a few months ago on a house (built in 2006, builder's finish, never lived in, 2596 sq ft) I'm going to buy, €420 for the report. I didn't have the land registry map for the engineer so the boundary check wasn't included.

It was the best €420 I ever spend, got a very detailed report outlining all the faults, the engineer said if the vendor fixes all the issues it would be a excellent purchase. Vendor is fixing 98% issues on the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Also depends on what type of qualification the person has.

In my experience 'Structural Engineers' or 'Building Surveyors' etc. were between €200 - 400.

Quantity surveyors were all around the €550 Ex.Vat mark.

The QS's will say they are more qualified to do a more complete survey whereas the engineers are more about structural integrity only, however I found the best thing to do was ask all for a sample report and make your decision from there (assuming all relevant qualifications are in place).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

newbie85 wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering ball park what is the going rate for a building survey before you purchase. We're planning to buy a house but don't know what we should be budgeting for it. It's a 2500sqq ft detached 1980s bungalow on about an acre.
    What did you guys pay for surveys?

€ 300 or € 350.00 sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

Pac2015 wrote: »
    € 300 or € 350.00 sounds about right.

Eh..etting a QS to do a building survey is not a good plan im afraid!
    They are Quantity surveyors aka Beancounters. Most QS's have no experience or qualifications in engineering/building inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Eh..etting a QS to do a building survey is not a good plan im afraid!
    They are Quantity surveyors aka Beancounters. Most QS's have no experience or qualifications in engineering/building inspection.

The guy I used did when I bought my first property but he was a friend so I knew all his qualifications I am sure it pays to check them out before using them.

Advertisement