Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaking correctly

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,559 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Speaking as somebody who had a speech impediment as a child I can understand why some people would get offended by your posts.
    You've to be very careful how you approach this with your child. When I was going to school and if I ever mispronouced a word, it was always the posh kids that laughed and corrected me in front of the whole class. They generally made me feel awful but they spoke well. What I'm saying is be careful how you approach this with your daughter.
    Regarding employment. Certain employers won't touch you because of your address and your accent. (Even if you have any sign of a Dublin accent they won't touch you).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

nc19 wrote: »
    In my experience, having spent a lot of the last near 4 yrs around young kids of all backgrounds, well behaved and well mannered usually can be found with well spoken.

That's just blatant nonsense. I have worked with kids in Coolock and Darndale and in the inner city. How they speak has absolutely no bearing on their manners and behaviour. How they are parented does. Biased parents raise biased children - something you should perhaps bear in mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

eviltwin wrote:
    You really need to take your blinkers off. I thought your issue was your child's mispronunciation but its really just your own issues with people based on how they sound. Its interesting you are happy to leave your child in the care of women you obviously don't think very highly of just because of how they speak.

So if they were cursing or teaching her poor habits I should be happy with that incase I offend your sensibilities?

They are a great bunch and we are very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Orion wrote: »
    That's now twice you've said snobbery. Less of the name calling please.

How should I say it then? Should I say I think the OP is looking down her nose and judging other people because of the way they speak or where they are from?
    I disagree. I think it is best and as it my child ill make that decision.

My values? I value a well spoken child, why is that something to be worried about?

As Orion already said, a well mannered child and healthy child is much more valued to me than a well spoken one, but if thats your values then so be it. Im not allowed to call you a snob tho.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Let me clear that up so, it's the latter.

Do you read to your child? A book lover will have a great vocabulary and learn a lot about different words, pronunciation, sentence structure and so on, so there is a lot you can do at home that's age appropriate.

Good manners would also be something that parents reinforce in a child. .

• Advertisement

Orion wrote: »
    That's just blatant nonsense. I have worked with kids in Coolock and Darndale and in the inner city. How they speak has absolutely no bearing on their manners and behaviour. How they are parented does. Biased parents raise biased children - something you should perhaps bear in mind.

I read his post as him saying you don't have to choose manners or being well spoken, you can have both - in response to your earlier post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

This has gone waaay off course.

Thanks for the advise.

@mods maybe close this before the townsfolk start heading my way with torches and pitchforks.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

He said that manners go hand in hand with speech. Of course you can have both - or either - or none. I've met some absolute yobs who speak like Oxford graduates (think rugby school types - and I went to one myself). I've also met some absolute gentlemen who sound as Dublin as can be. And vice versa.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement