Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Irish food and restaurants underrated

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm going to be blunt here.

Take Dublin for instance. Huge melting pot population, everyone wants a nice meal for a nice (low) price. Some restaurants cater for foreign type foods, tapas, chinese, indian, and so on. Grand.

Then you have the others. Not everyone can afford fine dining even down a range from Michelin and the white tablecloth places, so...

The restaurants are in general, catering for price sensitive customers in the main.

Beef, chicken, fish, burger, vegetarian option and so on.

Early birds are all the rage and are great value, but you would find it hard to find a restaurant that has a unique or quirky menu amongst many of them

I think that is because many just want a steak, a burger or a bit of fish or something, and that's that. I think that's fine as it is catering for a mass audience.

When we go up a notch to a la carte, I think sometimes we are paying for the candles and the white linen.!

I regularly go for dinner on a Saturday night and now and then during the week. I choose middle of the road places, and sometimes early birds. I choose carefully, and TBH I haven't been disappointed yet. You get what you pay for.

Anyway, if the food in Irish restaurants is so dire, why are these places packed to rafters?

Well they are catering to their audience, and it seems to be working fine.

Niche restaurants are all very fine, but they often struggle for the reasons above.

So who is going to open a restaurant serving bacon and cabbage, coddle, turnips and so on (you know what I mean) when all most people want is a steak or a burger?

I would say that outside of Dublin you would have a far better chance of finding a good restaurant serving local food. Without wishing to sound condescending, but often they have a local clientele, and the restaurants know what they like... whereas in the metropolis it is not that easy to cater for a niche audience.

But having said all that, there is vast choice out there. You have to seek it out, and don't base your reviews on mass production clone like places either.

Bon appetit!!

Advertisement