Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designated parking

Options
  • 20-07-2015 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

Hi got a quick question. I have a licencee living with me at the moment. However she is starting to take advantage of things now. We have designated parking in some areas of the estate and open parking in others. My tenant went away for the weekend and parked into one of the designated spots knowing full well she shouldn't have. I have a very good relationship with my neighbours and don't want this to spoil it. How do i handle this with my tenant. It was explained to her from the word go that there is designated parking in the part of the estate that we live in and she was told where the open parking was.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Im not sure why you need to do anything.

If someone parks in a designated spot are they not clamped or how is it usually handled by the management company?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

JillyQ wrote: »
    I have a licencee living with me at the moment.
    Tell her to cop on, or just evict her.?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is she not entitled to park in a designated spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

kceire wrote: »
    Is she not entitled to park in a designated spot?

There is unfortunately only one designated space per house & my car was init at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

So how did she park in it?? I am confused...

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    So how did she park in it?? I am confused...
    She parked in the neighbours spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Surely the neighbour should deal with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I'm assuming she parked in someone else's designated space? Did she think that if it wasn't being used, if she saw it empty when she was coming and going, that it was fair game or something?
    Is she at risk of being clamped?
    Are there consequences for you when she leaves her car there or is the risk all on your licences's part?

Effects wrote: »
    Surely the neighbour should deal with it?
    The OP has good relations with the neighbour.
    The OP has told the tenant not to park in the neighbours spot.
    The tenant parks in the neighbours spot.
    The OP is now wondering how to let the tenant know not to do it again.

OP; you say "she is starting to take advantage of things now". How so? If totally taking the piss, give her the boot. Unless you did something stupid, such as making her sign a lease when she moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I'd 'remind' her that it was explained to her that she must park in open space and that, as well as annoying your neighbour with whom you have always had a good relationship, you are sure she will be clamped if she parks in designated spot again.

And if she does, I would call clampers and get her clamped.

Pure ignorance and selfishness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

A clamped car still leaves the neighbour without their spot and the Op in the doghouse with them. Plain and simple tell her if her car is in the neighbour's spot again her bags will be beside the car 5 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,346 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

JillyQ wrote: »
    Hi got a quick question. I have a licencee living with me at the moment. However she is starting to take advantage of things now. We have designated parking in some areas of the estate and open parking in others. My tenant went away for the weekend and parked into one of the designated spots knowing full well she shouldn't have. I have a very good relationship with my neighbours and don't want this to spoil it. How do i handle this with my tenant. It was explained to her from the word go that there is designated parking in the part of the estate that we live in and she was told where the open parking was.

Thanks in advance

In my experience such undesignated parking is intended to be used by visitors, guests etc rather than being semi appropriated by residents. Your co-habitant has clearly taken the piss by parking in the neighbour's spot and you should have rung them immediately on becoming aware of it. If you cannot regulate your co-habitant, you are becoming a bad neighbour.

As regards parking, are you charging for this or have you intimated that parking is included. If you have done so, I cannot see how this is possible unless you are willing to surrender your spot to your paying co-habitant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ken wrote: »
    Plain and simple tell her if her car is in the neighbour's spot again her bags will be beside the car 5 minutes later.

You can't legally do that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Effects wrote: »
    You can't legally do that though.

You can. A licensee has few rights. They are entitled to reasonable notice but the warning could well constitute notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Hi thanks for all the replies. I had a chat with her last night about it I explained to her again that the the designated spaces were alotted to particular houses and not for general use. I also said that due to the fact she took there space from Friday afternoon till Monday afternoon she owed them an apology at the very least. I hope the situation has now been resolved.

Advertisement