Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPS Number

Options
  • 20-07-2015 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone.

This is my first post so apologies if this is the wrong section.

I have recently moved to Limerick from the UK and went to the intreo centre.
    I looked up online and took my passport, drivers license and a utility bill.
    When I got to the window, after waiting an hour, the man told me I couldn't get a PPS number until I had an offer of employment and refused to speak further.

Can anyone tell me if this is true because I have looked again online and it seems to be nonsense. Most jobs are asking for the PPS number when I'm applying and it's wasted a whole afternoon.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

bramstoks wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

This is my first post so apologies if this is the wrong section.

I have recently moved to Limerick from the UK and went to the intreo centre.
    I looked up online and took my passport, drivers license and a utility bill.
    When I got to the window, after waiting an hour, the man told me I couldn't get a PPS number until I had an offer of employment and refused to speak further.

Can anyone tell me if this is true because I have looked again online and it seems to be nonsense. Most jobs are asking for the PPS number when I'm applying and it's wasted a whole afternoon.

Thanks in advance.

That doesn't sound right to me. If you start working, the first thing an employer is supposed to do is get your PPS Number of you. And, the employers are instructed that, if a PPS Number is not provided, then it's onto emergency tax.

i'd head back, and look to speak with that guy's supervisor

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not true. Suspect the jobsworth didn't know how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Bot

Bull****. Every person born in Ireland gets a PPS number. How long is it before they get their first job? All that is necessary is that you can prove residency in the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bramstoks

Thanks very much guys. Seemed wrong to me, absolutely nothing on the government website to say they're right but I rang up the Limerick office and the guy said the same. Not sure if it was the same guy but I think I'll try another office.

I thought the same about the emergency tax as my sister had that issue. She also said she didn't need a letter but it was a while ago. None of my friends in Dublin seemed to have this problem. If I find out something different from another office I'll update.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭fear_factory84

My girlfriend has the same problem.
    We moved in Dublin in April, I had a job and I was able to get a PPS number showing a letter from my company.
    She was refused two times by different people because she has not a job or a letter from a company.

If anyone has a solution for this, I'll be glad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 rusty0010

Same problem with friends, cannot get a job due to not having a pps number, yet to get a pps number they need a job.

Its a catch 22.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

In order to apply for a PPS number (and you are not originally born in Ireland) you must show that you need one. It is not sufficient that you are simply living in Ireland etc.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html

You do not have to have a PPS number in order to seek employment in Ireland and it is illegal for a prospective employer to collect PPS numbers from prospective employees at interview stage.

If you have a job and you dont have a PPS number you will simply be on emergency tax until such time as you acquire one. If you have a job or have been given a job by an employer in Ireland then they should have given you an offer of employment or an employment contract. Or at least some document stating your rate of pay and conditions. You then present this together with the other client identification documentation and you obtain a PPS number in due course.

dbran

Thanks for the information.

My friends provided a print out version of this website where it states.

"If you are not Irish, you will need to produce the following documents:

EU/EEA citizen - Your passport or national identity card
    Non EU/EEA citizen - Your passport
    And

Evidence of your address, such as a household bill in your name."

Yet the welfare office in Galway is asking for proof of employment, while potential employers are asking if they have a pps number.

This has been going on for a month now.

Thanks

Hi

If they are asking whether or not you have a PPS number then the answer you should give is presumably no. You don't have a PPS number.

Whether or not they want to interview you for the job they are offering based on your experience, qualifications, skill set etc is a separate issue.

But they are not entitled to collect PPS numbers from people on a whim and it should not be a barrier to obtaining a position with them. If you think that it is then you should inform the Department of Social Protection who will then investigate.

Dbran

Most of the time they are told that if they had a pps number then they would get the job on the spot due to needing staff.

They were told this in Supermacs in 3 different stores.

I will inform the Department of Social Protection.

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement

Hi there

If this is true then this is a clear case of discrimination on the grounds of nationality or ethnicity as assuming the person has a legal entitlement to work in the country, the imposition of a rule which requires the applicant to have a PPS number at that particular time, unfairly discriminates against those who do not have one.

As the having of a PPS number at that particular time is probably (usually) not something that is required to perform the work in Supermacs, I think they are on very dangerous grounds indeed and it is only a matter of time before someone takes them to an employment equality tribuneral.

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

tell the social welfare you need a ppsn to register for Irish Water.... ;)

You reckon that it will work ?

We pretended that we needed to register a vehicle in Ireland and that didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"If you believe that a person asking for your PPS Number is not entitled to do so, do not give them your number until you have contacted Client Identity Services of the Department of Social Protection, Social Wefare Services, Shannon Lodge, Carrick-on-Shannon, County Leitrim (Telephone 01-7043281) for advice. You can also email Client Identity Services at cis@welfare.ie"

If someone insists on a PPSN before they'll allow you to apply for a job, then report them to the above.

They can only request a PPSN when they've made an offer of employment, not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

That’s strange; don’t you need a PPS number to open a bank account, get a driver’s license, etc.?
    What if you’re retired and don’t need a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭relax carry on

That’s strange; don’t you need a PPS number to open a bank account, get a driver’s license, etc.?
    What if you’re retired and don’t need a job?

Thought you did need a pps for a bank account now.
    I'm sure there's a logical reason for the restrictions to issuing pps numbers but of you provide the proofs they require, I can't see why they wouldn't issue one.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Did you ever get the number?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gfunkzero

Hey guys
    How long does it actually take to get a PPS number? like I get given a letter of offer, have to take that into the welfare office (Dublin) and I can get it on the same day or do I have to wait for ages like the GNIB?

sorry to bump and old thread better than making a new one though XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

It takes at least 24 hours to generate on the system so you can go back into the office the next day and they should write it out for you. It will take 5-10 days for the letter and PSC to be issued to your residence.
    gfunkzero wrote: »
    Hey guys
    How long does it actually take to get a PPS number? like I get given a letter of offer, have to take that into the welfare office (Dublin) and I can get it on the same day or do I have to wait for ages like the GNIB?

thanks hopefully not much queuing involved and I can call up the second day instead of going in..

The welfare website is throwing a 403 error at the moment :'D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

thanks hopefully not much queuing involved and I can call up the second day instead of going in..

The welfare website is throwing a 403 error at the moment :'D

I think under data protection they can’t give it out over the phone and some centres is by appointment only.

If you try MYGOVID website you can make an appointment online and it will give you a list of centres you can go to.

Best of luck!

Saysay19 wrote: »
    If you try MYGOVID website you can make an appointment online and it will give you a list of centres you can go to.

Best of luck!

thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Hey guys

You must wait for it to arrive in the post. This is to make sure that you actually live where you say you do. It takes about four days to arrive.

Advertisement