Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Late starter

• 20-07-2015 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Anybody get into bikes at a later stage of their life..I'm in my mid forties and have a real urge to learn how to drive a bike and tour America and Europe...this is something that has been simmering inside me now for years ..I have tried golf but it's not cutting it .
    am I crazy or just going through a mid life crisis ....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Correct me if im wrong but isn't that exactly what you are meant to do when you have a midlife crisis? ???? Do it man, do it now or you never will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

My mid-life crisis started when I was around 23 and shows no sign of abating, praise be. Go for it, man. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

If its been simmering for years you should go for it. You'll only regret it the longer you leave it. Start with ibt, at least you'll know soon enough if it's for you and it won't cost too much in the grand scheme of things if you decide against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anybody get into bikes at a later stage of their life..I'm in my mid forties and have a real urge to learn how to drive a bike and tour America and Europe...this is something that has been simmering inside me now for years ..I have tried golf but it's not cutting it .

Later stage of your life is mid-forties?.. ffs would you give it over.

The perfect movie for you

Mid-forties, later stages ~ lol.

I'm 49. I still compete at Judo, train MMA regularly. Cycle at least 40km per day and twice that on a Sunday spin.

You're hardly living :P

All joking aside, watch that movie because its fecking hilarious. And get your arse on a bike ASAP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Later stage of your life is mid-forties?.. ffs would you give it over.

The perfect movie for you

And for those who who have been at it for some time... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRQyEBY5YjQ

"We came into this world screaming and covered in blood so why not ride motorbikes that increase the chances of leaving this world the same way"

• Advertisement

Seen it before, its fecking brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

I think the main reason I feel I need to start living is because I have a chronic illness and have tired and sick all my life...so missed out on sports and everything when I was younger ....I have recently got medication which has made me feel much better ...so I feel I must start living

I think the main reason I feel I need to start living is because I have a chronic illness and have tired and sick all my life...so missed out on sports and everything when I was younger ....I have recently got medication which has made me feel much better ...so I feel I must start living

Get a bike, live the dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Just be aware.
    If you listen to those voices now, in years to come, you'll never have the pleasure to look back and think "Wow, I got my handicap down to single fiigures!" Can you live with that?

Yeah that's true something I will have to think about ; ) handicap or motoring ...could leave the handicap till my sixties

• Advertisement

Seen it before, its fecking brilliant :D

An ockerised version of the Blue Oyster Bar – going with satnavs and mob-handed is for pussies.

30 years ago I went solo round the place on an XL500R. Underpowered on the straight sealed roads but dogs bollox jettisoning the gear and going bush. One of my few regrets in life was not having taken the Gibb River Rd coming out of Derby. Had to stay on the still partially un-sealed Victoria Highway due to fuel limitations. Wouldn't be quite the same doing it now with all the tourist traffic.
    A few pre-digital pics attached for anybody who's interested.

They look brilliant must..I'd love to tour the state's myself ...did u buy the bike over there

They look brilliant must..I'd love to tour the state's myself ...did u buy the bike over there

Wrong continent pal. Australia.
    I bought the bike fairly cheap as it was blowing a fair bit of smoke and needed the piston ring replaced. Did that over a weekend with the help of a Haynes manual and ended up with a spare o-ring :eek: Put another 25,000km on her before selling it on. Lovely bike to throw around but could be a pig to kick over in the heat if it didn't start on the first go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

OP, if you're anywhere near Cork with your own field or private race track let me know.

fatty pang wrote: »
    Wrong continent pal. Australia.
    I bought the bike fairly cheap as it was blowing a fair bit of smoke and needed the piston ring replaced. Did that over a weekend with the help of a Haynes manual and ended up with a spare o-ring :eek: Put another 25,000km on her before selling it on. Lovely bike to throw around but could be a pig to kick over in the heat if it didn't start on the first go.

I blew so many DT and RD pistons back then I'd replace a whole piston kit within the hour :D

Nice photos btw, I loved the XT's but couldn't afford one so I'd to make do with a Yamaha DT175 until some kunt robbed it and I never got it back.

Nice photos btw, I loved the XT's but couldn't afford one so I'd to make do with a Yamaha DT175 until some kunt robbed it and I never got it back.

Thanks. I learnt to ride on a mate’s DT175. First bike I had was an XL185s. Took that one across Europe and down to Juba in Sudan… slowly. Was planning on going further south but had my toolkit nicked and with my 21st birthday coming up decided to head home. Attached pic is on the road from Alexandria to Cairo.
    Navigation facilities consisted of 4 pages photocopied from a Readers Digest world atlas from the local library. Glory days.

Thanks. I learnt to ride on a mate’s DT175. First bike I had was an XL185s. Took that one across Europe and down to Juba in Sudan… slowly. Was planning on going further south but had my toolkit nicked and with my 21st birthday coming up decided to head home. Attached pic is on the road from Alexandria to Cairo.
    Navigation facilities consisted of 4 pages photocopied from a Readers Digest world atlas from the local library. Glory days.

Wow, not much I can add expect to say you have my respect.

RESPECT man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

It was a near-miss-that-could-have-been that finally had me hang up my gloves after 25 odd years of 365 riding. There was no fright involved - just the later realisation that had I arrived around the corner I arrived around 4 seconds later, then the horse-drawn tourist caravan I just caught disappearing around the corner 200 yards up the road would have actually disappeared. And that I would have ploughed into it, or, if I had managed to pick the bike up to avoid it, would have run off the bend and into the trees lining the "escape route". We were out for a Saturday spin, nothing outrageous. Just a simple 50mph collision with an immovable object.

At that stage in my career, there wasn't a huge amount to give up: I'd taken to commuting by car and only took the bike out 10 times a year. The imminent arrival of my first-borne sealed the deal: sacrificing the bit of biking I was doing vs. being around to see him grow up.

The hundreds of thousands of biking miles experienced including couriering, daily commutes across the city, advanced rider training, top grade tyres etc. had allowed me to trim the risk right down but as the above made me realise, death or serious injury is an ever-present danger for a motorcyclist that can't be reduced to levels enjoyed by an average car driver.

And if you could draw a graph of risk vs. experience then you'd see it very high at the start and very low (but not low enough) at 25 years everyday experience.

What you're proposing to do is to embark on a career in riding which will place you at the entry point of that graph. You will have age on your side: you probably won't have the extra risk that comes with be both young (where death and the lifelong consequences of serious injury are something you are blind to) and inexperienced. You'll just have inexperience.

You could, if you are sensible, embark on training but there is no replacement for having all the near-misses that come with miles upon miles of riding. Near misses which you need to come out on the lucky side of in order not to be killed or seriously injured. You would be the same as a fresh faced young soldier arriving up to the front without any inkling of the dangers that face you and which see your chances of taking a hit far higher than all the experienced vets around you.

I'm not advocating not taking to a bike (although in hindsight I couldn't advise it) but you do need to properly evaluate the wisdom of engaging in a pursuit that could very easily leave you crippled for life or worse. And whether the enjoyment is worth the not insignificant risk. Bear in mind too, that care-free, wind-rushing-through-your-helmet riding is the preserve of the uneducated. You having that feeling will be based on being inexperienced. For experience teaches you to have a much more cagey approach to riding, where you life is spent not so much enjoying the freedom of riding, but enjoying the challenge of evaluating and successfully navigating the risks as you encounter them. It's not that the experienced don't enjoy riding but it is tinged with the ever-present need to defend. The ever present need to compartmentilize the possibility that around the next corner is a pile of gravel, a diesel spill, a horse-drawn carriage.

That you wouldn't have these concerns until such time as you had near-misses enough under to your belt to cause them to be raised, is the chief concern of one starting out. Ignorance might be bliss, but it's potentially lethal.

My aim is to ensure to balance your decision.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

This antiskeptic guy rears his head again. I remember his crazy 'point duty in Vietnam' posts from years ago.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    This antiskeptic guy rears his head again. I remember his crazy 'point duty in Vietnam' posts from years ago.

A good analogy then. Although it was Band of Brothers I was thinking of this time round, having recently watched the boxset.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

A good analogy then. Although it was Band of Brothers I was thinking of this time round, having recently watched the boxset.

Do you happen to drive a silver Seat Leon?

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Do you happen to drive a silver Seat Leon?

That'd make me the Wehrmacht. German car but not Seat.

It was a near-miss-that-could-have-been that finally had me hang up my gloves after 25 odd years of 365 riding. There was no fright involved - just the later realisation that had I arrived around the corner I arrived around 4 seconds later, then the horse-drawn tourist caravan I just caught disappearing around the corner 200 yards up the road would have actually disappeared. And that I would have ploughed into it, or, if I had managed to pick the bike up to avoid it, would have run off the bend and into the trees lining the "escape route". We were out for a Saturday spin, nothing outrageous. Just a simple 50mph collision with an immovable object.

....The hundreds of thousands of biking miles experienced including.... advanced rider training....

And yet you still went into a blind corner at 50mph :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My advice is to ignore antiskeptics post and go out and get a bike. Some people think it's the most dangerous thing you can do. I know lots of people with hundreds of thousands of biker miles and zero incidents.
    If you want a bike for the odd spin it's even safer. Go out in dry weather, nice days. Brilliant way to spend a day, and the variety of bikes is great too. Moped, tourer, sports, sports tourer, street, off road, supermoto, cruiser, custom, classics there's something for everyone and all riding styles.
    If it's not your main mode of transport and you have a garage, working on it yourself it good fun too. Especially with the internet to help.

And if you decide you don't like it, you can always sell it in a couple of years. The only negative of getting one is all the poxy red tape of getting a licence, but at least you'll know the basics of riding after you get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cienciano wrote: »
    My advice is to ignore antiskeptics post and go out and get a bike. Some people think it's the most dangerous thing you can do. I know lots of people with hundreds of thousands of biker miles and zero incidents.
    If you want a bike for the odd spin it's even safer. Go out in dry weather, nice days. Brilliant way to spend a day, and the variety of bikes is great too. Moped, tourer, sports, sports tourer, street, off road, supermoto, cruiser, custom, classics there's something for everyone and all riding styles.
    If it's not your main mode of transport and you have a garage, working on it yourself it good fun too. Especially with the internet to help.

And if you decide you don't like it, you can always sell it in a couple of years. The only negative of getting one is all the poxy red tape of getting a licence, but at least you'll know the basics of riding after you get one.

THIS!

And yet you still went into a blind corner at 50mph :confused:

It was a corner that you wouldn't be able to stop from 50mph to zero in the amount you could see around the bend. Not at all an untypical scenario on a bike. Have a look next time your taking some bends and see if you can stop, on your side of the road in the distance you can see around the bend.

I predict slower than usual progress :)

Cienciano wrote: »

And I don't know one. Where 'incident' is defined as something which, except for fortune, would have resulted in a spill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It was a corner that you wouldn't be able to stop from 50mph to zero in the amount you could see around the bend. Not at all an untypical scenario on a bike. Have a look next time your taking some bends and see if you can stop, on your side of the road in the distance you can see around the bend.

I predict slower than usual progress :)

If you can't stop upright in a stop-or-die scenario, drop it down. You have armour, right? It's no worse than most people in cars taking most bends at 50mph.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 the dark ken night

And I don't know one. Where 'incident' is defined as something which, except for fortune, would have resulted in a spill.

You could say that about anything ffs!!

My butter knife would have landed on the floor butter side except for fortune.

I would have shít myself except for fortune

OP -

This man has a fcuked up view of biking that he thinks everyone should share. Please don't listen to him.

Fwiw - I had numerous spills in my 16 yrs of biking. Not one of them made me regret biking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

OP, if you decide not to buy a motorbike, you won't actually live longer... It'll just seem longer!

Advertisement