Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why will my insurance go up so much?

Options
  • 20-07-2015 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

I rang one of your reps the other day, asking about changing the car on my policy. I was told my premium would go up by 24 euro a month. Now, this would be fine if I was changing from a 1.4 Corolla to a 1.8 Avensis, but I currently own a 98 BMW 750i and was interested in swapping this for a 2001 520i Sport.

Just to give you some perspective:

98 750i has a 5.4 litre V12 engine that produces 326 horsepower. It does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds.
    01 520i has a 2.2 litre 6 cylinder engine that produces 170 horsepower. It does 0-60 in 9 seconds.

Why is the 520i considered to be a more dangerous car at all? I can understand that more people own these and that they will crash, but surely, the 750i will be in a much higher risk category than a 520i.

525i and 530i were both cheaper to insure than my 750i, just not the 520i.

This isn't a question of any sort, just wanted to point out how ridiculous this is and how you have lost a client because you weren't even going to try to keep me with your company.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

Sobanek wrote: »
    I rang one of your reps the other day, asking about changing the car on my policy. I was told my premium would go up by 24 euro a month. Now, this would be fine if I was changing from a 1.4 Corolla to a 1.8 Avensis, but I currently own a 98 BMW 750i and was interested in swapping this for a 2001 520i Sport.

Just to give you some perspective:

98 750i has a 5.4 litre V12 engine that produces 326 horsepower. It does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds.
    01 520i has a 2.2 litre 6 cylinder engine that produces 170 horsepower. It does 0-60 in 9 seconds.

Why is the 520i considered to be a more dangerous car at all? I can understand that more people own these and that they will crash, but surely, the 750i will be in a much higher risk category than a 520i.

525i and 530i were both cheaper to insure than my 750i, just not the 520i.

This isn't a question of any sort, just wanted to point out how ridiculous this is and how you have lost a client because you weren't even going to try to keep me with your company.
    Hi Sobanek
    Sorry to hear this. If you want to PM me with your policy details we can have a look at this for you.
    Regards
    Seán

Advertisement