Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 Wirless Connection

Options
  • 20-07-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Is there any cheap way to connect the wifi wirelessly through the xbox so I can play live.
    By cheap I mean less then 25E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Second hand off adverts is your best bet. Unless you can pick one up cheaply new off ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

It's over your set budget (€35) but it's a much better solution and will work for any device, not just restricted to 360.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1397640/Trail/searchtext%3EHOMEPLUGS.htm

You plug one into an empty electrical socket near your modem/router, connect both together with an ethernet cable. Then plug the second one into an electrical socket anywhere else in your house, in your case, beside your 360 and you got yourself hard wired to your modem for the best possible connection.

Much better solution than wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    you got yourself hard wired to your modem for the best possible connection.

Not entirely true. It depends on your wiring and your wifi. Either solution can be better than the other. You'll lose a LOT of potential bandwidth going over mains, even with a 500Mbps plug like the ones above. You'll top out at about 85-90 megs a second absolute max, which is loads for online gaming, obviously, but for downloading it may actually work out slower than your wifi, situation dependent.

There are also other things to keep in mind, like making sure you use the plugs directly into the mains and not through a power bar or extension lead, and in some cases what else is on the circuit can reduce bandwidth further.

They're also prone to the occasional drop out at times I've found over the years.

That said, if you've got a new house, the wiring is good, and wifi just isn't cutting it, then the chances are you'll get a much better result using powerlines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    It's over your set budget (€35) but it's a much better solution and will work for any device, not just restricted to 360.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1397640/Trail/searchtext%3EHOMEPLUGS.htm

You plug one into an empty electrical socket near your modem/router, connect both together with an ethernet cable. Then plug the second one into an electrical socket anywhere else in your house, in your case, beside your 360 and you got yourself hard wired to your modem for the best possible connection.

Can I use any twin powerline adapter or does it have to be specifically that one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Can I use any twin powerline adapter or does it have to be specifically that one.

You can use any of them, but once you start going beyond two of them, you should probably try to keep them with the same manufacturer and speed. Don't think that the speeds mix well or something like that, so adding a 200 onto a set-up that already has two 500s will make the 500s work at the 200 speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's the best option plenty of shops around the country and you can even buy online as well.

Advertisement