Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom F2000 Modem can't seem to handle multiple devices

Options
  • 20-07-2015 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

I'm constantly running into the same issue every day where, as more devices connect to the modem, some of the other devices may drop their internet connection. The maximum number of devices might be 10 - 12 but I'll usually encounter the problem at around 6 devices.

Firstly I thought it was down to maybe when one device goes to standby a "new" device takes its IP address meaning when the device in "standby" wakes up its IP address is already taken by another device. So I gave all the devices a static IP address - still the same problem.

After that I thought that maybe it was down to the DNS so I switched to Google's. Still the same problem. So I don't know what the problem is but my thinking is that maybe the modem is just so lightweight that it can't handle that many connected devices. I've attached a screenshot with the memory usage running pretty high with 8 devices connected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭orangetoad

gnolan wrote: »
    I'm constantly running into the same issue every day where, as more devices connect to the modem, some of the other devices may drop their internet connection. The maximum number of devices might be 10 - 12 but I'll usually encounter the problem at around 6 devices.

Firstly I thought it was down to maybe when one device goes to standby a "new" device takes its IP address meaning when the device in "standby" wakes up its IP address is already taken by another device. So I gave all the devices a static IP address - still the same problem.

After that I thought that maybe it was down to the DNS so I switched to Google's. Still the same problem. So I don't know what the problem is but my thinking is that maybe the modem is just so lightweight that it can't handle that many connected devices. I've attached a screenshot with the memory usage running pretty high with 8 devices connected.
    This is a common problem with standard isp modem/routers. Simple solution is to get a separate router like a Netgear WNDR3700 which can handle multiple connections and flash it with DDWRT. Put the router in bridge mode and connect it to your eircom modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

gnolan wrote: »

Hi gnolan

The number of devices connected can depend on the strength of the broadband speed and of course the position of the modem itself.

The biggest factors which reduce Wi-Fi performance are the effect distance and internal walls have on signal strength. Even though the data transmitted over Wi-Fi is digital, the actual signal uses analogue radio waves.

These are susceptible to interference, much in the same way as the radio in your car. If you are driving in a multi-storey car park, or driving through a tunnel, the signal to your radio will weaken.

his will either cause noise or a complete dropout of the station you are listening to. The same happens to your Wi-Fi. If it's the case where the wall thickness is something that's causing the issues the only solution to this is connecting WiFi extenders - the ones which work through power sockets - more detail here: http://support.eir.ie/homeplug/

Also, it could be a case where the wireless channel needs changing to a different frequency - eir technical support can do this for you over a call - you can reach them on free phone 1901 (option 2) or on 1890260260 - also via WebChat at www.eir.ie/chatnow

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement