Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word doc issues

Options
  • 20-07-2015 8:54pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I've a Word doc I've been working on for work and am having a few issues how it looks, not very polished.

I've a cover page, contents page, then the main pages of text. I know how to do section breaks and how to get the headers and footers to appear as I'd like, so that aspect is fine.

The problem might be page breaks as I've some paragraphs that appear only to leave a huge gap until the next heading.

Heading

Text blah blah blah...

End of section, blah blah.

Then it seems to jump to here.

New topic heading

It looks out of whack. I don't think I've added too many page breaks and it's just doing this automatically. Page 8 ends, then 9 is virtually blank which I don't want and the next topic isn't until page 10, again not what I want. If I try to move up what's on 10 it doesn't look very well or doesn't co-operate.

Any ideas? A little hard to describe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hey,

I've a Word doc I've been working on for work and am having a few issues how it looks, not very polished.

I've a cover page, contents page, then the main pages of text. I know how to do section breaks and how to get the headers and footers to appear as I'd like, so that aspect is fine.

The problem might be page breaks as I've some paragraphs that appear only to leave a huge gap until the next heading.

Heading

Text blah blah blah...

End of section, blah blah.

Then it seems to jump to here.

New topic heading

It looks out of whack. I don't think I've added too many page breaks and it's just doing this automatically. Page 8 ends, then 9 is virtually blank which I don't want and the next topic isn't until page 10, again not what I want. If I try to move up what's on 10 it doesn't look very well or doesn't co-operate.

Any ideas? A little hard to describe.

Well if you insert a page break in the middle of a page then there will half a blank page underneath. I may be misinterpreting your post here. Have you turned on the Paragraph marks to see if you have too many returns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The trick with MS Word is learning how to use Styles. Everything has a style in work and it applies to everything including things like paragraph markers, paragraph style. One of the elements you are using probably has a style that leaves extra lines before and after paragraphs. Perhaps one of the element has inherited a style you're not intending it to.

If you want to use Word properly. You get up your own template with its own style and delete all the styles you don't want from your template. Then use only use your own styles. Don't use the default normal template as everything changes that.

If you are doing larger technical/complex documents, you can use things like tables to lock down blocks of text or formatting. I used to insert excel data into tables for example. When you get really advanced you can use thing like picture shapes and text shapes and automate them using VBA.

But learn the styles. It will take a few days maybe a week to really get to know them but its worth it. I used to know it really well, but don't do much of that of it anymore. They changed it a lot in the last few versions.

Advertisement