Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy an SSD?

Options
  • 20-07-2015 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Where are the best places to buy a SSD?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Usually cheaper online.

Amazon.co.uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

SSD shops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Cheapest is hardwarversand.De using geizhals.De discount

But recommend amazon. Just got one myself last week 105 in total delivered for a 250 gb crucial bx100.

Samsung is slightly more expensive.

Don't go to a shop. Will run you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭Worztron

SSD shops

:confused:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

degsie wrote: »
    Usually cheaper online.

Amazon.co.uk?
    Cheapest is hardwarversand.De using geizhals.De discount

But recommend amazon. Just got one myself last week 105 in total delivered for a 250 gb crucial bx100.

Samsung is slightly more expensive.

Don't go to a shop. Will run you.

Sounds good. ;)

BTW, does Amazon.co.uk keep the latest SSDs or do they have loads of older (1+ year old) ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

dabs.ie is fairly reasonable for SSD's I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

Try https://www.memoryc.com/
    Normally quite good on price and my stuff usually arrives the next day.

Halfbaker wrote: »

Hi Halfbaker.

Looks good: 1TB Transcend SATA 6Gbps 2.5-inch Solid State Disk SSD370 Premium (7mm)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Worztron wrote: »

You must be joking. It's literally €100 cheaper on Amazon. Parcel motel for postage.

You must be joking. It's literally €100 cheaper on Amazon. Parcel motel for postage.

Hi Captain Flaps.

Yes, after looking further, it is a bit steep. I'd prefer to just get it delivered straight to my house though - that one on Amazon won't deliver to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

This is only €395 delivered with Parcel Motel, €400 rough to an address.

Is there need in such a large SSD?

This is only €395 delivered with Parcel Motel, €400 rough to an address.

Is there need in such a large SSD?

Hi Digital Solitude.

Cool. I'd use it really as a HDD replacement.

Do you use both HDD and SSD? With the HDD used for storing the largest files?

... Parcel motel for postage.

So Parcel Motel is also a handy work around if Amazon item is not deliverable to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

So Parcel Motel is also a handy work around if Amazon item is not deliverable to Ireland?

Yes have it delivered to their Northern Ireland depot and they'll drop it to the motel near you for €3.95. Handy for stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Currently in the process of a new gaming build for myself, intending on buying 2 of these and setting up in a RAID 0 format. About €200 each depending on exchange rates...exchange rates are killing the price of pc parts at the moment :(

Hi Digital Solitude.

Cool. I'd use it really as a HDD replacement.

Do you use both HDD and SSD? With the HDD used for storing the largest files?

I think you're mental, they're still very expensive for using as replacements. I've two of each, Windows is on an SSD, so the PC boots fast and my programs launch quickly, and I've an SSD for my games so they start quickly and I've got less loading times.

All pictures, movies, music and backups in general are kept on one of the HDDs, as there is no advantage to using an SSD for the likes of those.

Windows is only on a 60gb partition, though I'd recommend a 120gb.

I'm not going to tell you what to do with your money but it's seriously OTT to switch everything to an SSD imo

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

Is it for a laptop that only has room for one hard drive and do you need 1TB of storage? Otherwise you are much better off getting a 128/256 GB SSD for your operating system and programs etc and using standard hard drive(s) for bulk storage.

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Currently in the process of a new gaming build for myself, intending on buying 2 of these and setting up in a RAID 0 format.

OT but Raid 0 isn't always the performance gain expected in gaming machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

OT but Raid 0 isn't always the performance gain expected in gaming machines.

True not always but didn't want to be relying on just one 1tb drive. (I know it's a reinstall if either one fails on a raid 0 but will have a SSD ready to go for it)

Is it for a laptop that only has room for one hard drive and do you need 1TB of storage? Otherwise you are much better off getting a 128/256 GB SSD for your operating system and programs etc and using standard hard drive(s) for bulk storage.

For a Desktop, but since it is 2.5", I could also use it in my Laptop later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i got mine of Pixmania
    got it on sale also which was even better

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Came in to suggest memoryc. They have 128G transcend one for very, very reasonable money and free next day delivery if you order before midday. Picked one up the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I've bought an SSD from Crucial and tons of RAM. They're great

http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/ssd

Synode wrote: »
    I've bought an SSD from Crucial and tons of RAM. They're great

http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/ssd

Hi Synode.

What's their delivery charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Hi Synode.

What's their delivery charges?

I bought in July 2014 and it was
    (UPS Express Saver) shipping charges: €10.00

Khannie wrote: »
    Came in to suggest memoryc. They have 128G transcend one for very, very reasonable money and free next day delivery if you order before midday. Picked one up the other day.

Any idea what the C stands for in MemoryC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Any idea what the C stands for in MemoryC?
    Cholangiocholecystocholedochetomy?

degsie wrote: »
    Cholangiocholecystocholedochetomy?

Talking out of your ÁRAS again? :pac:

I found out. It's 'Configurator'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

amazon.de is better for price these days due to Sterling

Advertisement