Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you're gone

• 20-07-2015 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Do you have a plan for your dog in the event of a catastrophic personal event?

I have pet insurance and personal insurance but am wondering how best to protect my dog if something untoward were to happen to me, rendering me incapable of caring for her.

I've been godparent many times over and part of that function is to reassure family and friends with children. I've been considering asking some of them to be dogparents. Does that sound as odd as I think it might? Being locked in a padded cell might stymie my good intentions. :-/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nope; simply speak to them up front about it and also consider putting away part of your will for her; it's my long term plan at least :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've my dogs provided for in my will, by prior consent of the family member who'll take them when I shuffle off..
    Having said that, I hadn't thought of making arrangements should I become ill enough to not be able to care for them any more... You've given me food for thought on that one :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I've been named in a will as a carer for someones dogs should they pass on. They're all rescues who don't do particularly well in a kennels situation so going back to the rescues that they came from wouldn't be the best option for them.

It's perfectly reasonable to make provisions for your pets, given that pounds and rescues are full to the brim already. In the event of something happening to you, even prolonged hospitalisation, it's peace of mind for yourself and less stress for your pet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea I've had my pets in my will since I first drafted one back in the day. My dogs go without saying, but my turtles being a biggie. They live a looooong time, or can if properly looked after. I had a red ear slider I got as a kid in the 70's live to over 40 years of age and as we speak I have three others; a common musk that is 35, an Ambiona Box that is 36 and a Chinese stripe necked that is just touching 40(which according to the interwebs is very old for one in captivity). Of the three the Ambiona is the one likely to outlast me by a goodly margin, so he has to be looked after. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Reading this reminded me of an advert from the RSPCA on UK TV at the moment ...

http://www.homeforlife.org.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Mondeo10

I always said if I pass before my old dog, I want him to be put to sleep and buried with me.

I know he would pine and would eventually die a heartbroken death without me :(

He's a terrier that never leaves my side, follows me everywhere and waits outside the bathroom door, bottom of the stairs etc when he can't be beside me.

My other dogs would be fine, once they're fed, watered and given attention they love you so will remain as the family pets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yea I've had my pets in my will since I first drafted one back in the day. My dogs go without saying, but my turtles being a biggie. They live a looooong time, or can if properly looked after. I had a red ear slider I got as a kid in the 70's live to over 40 years of age and as we speak I have three others; a common musk that is 35, an Ambiona Box that is 36 and a Chinese stripe necked that is just touching 40(which according to the interwebs is very old for one in captivity). Of the three the Ambiona is the one likely to outlast me by a goodly margin, so he has to be looked after. :)

Have you had all these turtles since the time they were born?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

I was really sick around 3 years ago and I had to tell my husband that if I moseyed on off my mortal coil that the animals ( 2 dogs, 2 cats) were to go to my mam and dad. We had a real Terms of Endearment scene, but in the end he agreed with me. Its not that he doesnt love them, but with a full time job and no wifey, it wouldnt be the nicest thing for either him or them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We don't have a plan, don't even have a will (we should really get on to that), we kind of assume everyone knows what to do. But I guess it's probably a good idea to tell someone rather than assume :D

We would want the dog to stay with our daughter. Losing her parents and then being separated from the dog would be triply devastating, they're crazy about eachother.
    Our daughter would go live with her auntie, who rescued the dog for us. So I assume she would take the dog too, but best not to make assumptions. I can imagine some family members who would try to convince her that sending the dog away would be better in the long run, so we should probably make sure everyone knows that is not to happen under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

My mum and dad have said they'll take our cats... But they have a dog who loathes cats so I don't think it would work in reality... This thread has me thinking I should put something solid in place for them, I'd never want them to end up in a shelter... will have to look into options I think!

• Advertisement
Advertisement