Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poverty in Fingal

Options
  • 20-07-2015 9:48pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm aware that of course there are families suffering in Fingal but over the past few days in Swords, more extreme poverty has become visible to me.

A couple of nights ago on Main Street, there was a gentleman begging outside the Centra, and a group of teens came out with a sandwich and a drink which they gave to him.

Not something I'm used to seeing tbh

More shockingly this evening we were driving down Main Street again, and there was a man going through the big bins that were outside AIB, he did look a little down on his luck going by his appearance, but I was shocked to think that someone would have to resort to checking bins be it for food/drink

Are there any organisations around Swords/Fingal who help people in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

St Vincent de Paul have a presence in most towns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

St Vincent de Paul have a presence in most towns.

They work very hard here in Swords, and sadly their workload has increased hugely in recent years. Swords Lions Club have a huge food appeal at Christmas, not sure what they do throughout the year but their website may have more information.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They work very hard here in Swords, and sadly their workload has increased hugely in recent years. Swords Lions Club have a huge food appeal at Christmas, not sure what they do throughout the year but their website may have more information.
    I know the Lions Club had a fundraising concert as part of the Summer festival.

I wonder if the likes of the two men I mentioned above get to avail of either Vincents or Lions Club services.

I was genuinely shocked to see someone going through bins on the main street.

I think we are too far out for the likes of Simon etc to be active

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

As someone said to me years ago "never look down on someone unless your giving them a hand up"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I don't mean to sound callous, but I think that a lot of suburbs have become feasible towns from Dublin City Centre.

Many are heroin addicts, and a few are homeless.
    Try to avoid giving them any money.
    It makes begging appear more lucrative.
    Apart from that, it's unlikely to go in the right direction (food, clothing, accommodation etc..).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Ah sure Fine Gael and Labour said we are in recovery! Election time anyone

Unemployment figures down, yeah because 400,000 young people have moved to Australia, Canada and the states and then lot's of people are doing jobsbridge getting 50 euro on top of their dole which is pretty much slave labour, zero hour contract jobs getting 4 people doing the work 1 could do to massage the figures and the cost of living increasing, Fingal unfortunately is not the only area feeling the scourge of Austerity and taking from the working person and giving it to the bondholders

The comment above about not giving people money, If you are lucky enough to have a few quid to spend and somebody is hungry then the moral thing to do is either buy them some food or give them money to buy something they would prefer, the bull**** that people will just go buy drugs is not true either, also if somebody is living on the streets and need a few cans to get through the night i wouldn't begrudge them that anyway.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

I too would prefer to give someone food and a drink if they are hungry, have done that a few times, Gone into McDonalds and got them a drink and a hamburger, I would give them money if I thought it would be used for food

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is there not a foodbank based in Cronans? Crosscare or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Before this goes off on a tangent - let's keep the discussion relevant to DCN.
    There are other forums to discuss poverty & homelessness in general.

Thanks,

tHB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lux23 wrote: »
    Is there not a foodbank based in Cronans? Crosscare or something.

Yes there is a food bank in Swords. The County Council department that deals with homelessness is based in Blanchardstown. It helps people whose last address was in the Fingal area, but as Allyall said Swords has become more attractive for begging since it's grown and has become so busy.

I've never actually seen anyone sleeping rough, and as far as I know the B&B opposite the Lord Mayor's provides emergency accommodation for those in need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I've never actually seen anyone sleeping rough, and as far as I know the B&B opposite the Lord Mayor's provides emergency accommodation for those in need.

I've seen a guy sleeping rough in Colmcilles graveyard in the past, I haven't seen him recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Poverty is becoming a more serious and visible problem in Ireland despit what figure are trotted out.

There has always been an amount of poverty and most likely for some people there always will be poverty as they can often live in a very chaotic situation which appears to be ignored by authorities who can make a difference.

To get out of this situation is not just about money but about education and family support units being properly funded. Helping families cope with the assistance of early intervention teams. Some people just slip and cant recover, they need a hand and guidance in a lot of cases but they need it early.
    Being involved in sports like a few others on here what is heartbreaking is to see kids suffer. I have not had to deal with this up close personally but I know of clubs who do great work with helping kids/young adults stay in education and get them some work.

A lot of these charities who work with very disadvantaged people and families rely on state funding which has been cut and donations from the public who have less cash.

It is shocking sad to see people so down and out of luck, often good people at that.

Sure we will commission another report........

Advertisement