Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 66 ✭✭Annurca Apples

fergus1001 wrote: »
    advertising

Did you read the study?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

The reviews i have read have not nor was my experience, best of luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

paulinhio wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently looking into Turkey for HT in next few weeks. You're right - it's such a bloody minefield (researching on the internet) - between potentially fake reviews and vested interests etc.
    I come away from hours of browsing, being none the wiser! I just want someone I can trust to say 'I used this guy and I can wholeheartedly recommend him'. The OP here seems to have gotten a really good result - but I don't think he's named the Doc has he? And, my hair is a lot different to his. And, I'm not intending to use fin or anything like that. So, perhaps my results wouldn't be as impressive..
    I have a few Docs names jotted down;
    Dr. Karadeniz
    Dr. Doganay
    Dr. Erdogan
    Dr. Kesser
    KSL Clinic
    (Not sure the above would all be in my price range though). Only one I've contacted so far is Karadeniz and his assistant or representative or whatever has been back to me quoting €3k 5000 HAIRS (Yeah, it's a bit confusing - she's saying around 2000 grafts should yield 5000 hairs). Her English is a bit sketchy, so that's not inspiring me with confidence - along with a few dodgy reviews I've seen (but can't tell if they're genuine!). The €3k is the 'premium package' meaning he'll personally do the recipient incisions. I'd be very happy to pay that if I knew he wasn't one of these dodgy mill/factory type practices.

Would you, Gentleman Off The Pitch, have any advice? Just, you seem knowledgeable and dare I say it, trustworthy!

I strongly recommend taking your time, spend months researching before committing to anything. I know, believe me, no one who is tired of losing their hair and is keen to get something done about it wants to be told to wait but you only have one head with one small section of that head containing a limited supply of donor hair. You want to make the most informed decision you can, and as I have stated before the hair transplant industry has always been and continues to be full of deception. Just look at the frequency which posts are made here and are subsequently deleted as a little example

Unfortunately who the best doctor is is a matter of opinion and over the many years I've been looking into hair transplants I've seen doctors with once stellar reputations fall from favour and sometimes grace due to previously hidden bad results coming to light and/or a change in work practices (e.g. scaling out and more technician involvement in the procedure for example). Every doctor has bad results, but it is the ratio of good to bad that matters.

Find as many forums that can and do your research on them. (you may be aware of all these already?) Unfortunately a lot of them have the 'preferred' doctors, by this I mean the posters there have their favourites but also sometimes it can be a little shadier than that.
    Here are some forums I read (used to, I should say, I am not as interested as I once was)
    • hairlosshelp.com
    • hairlossexperiences.com
    • hairlosstalk.com
    • hairsite.com
    • hairrestorationnetwork.com
    • bellicapelli.forumfree.it - Italian - plenty of poor/bad results here from many top doctors if you dig enough
    • foro.recuperarelpelo.com - Spanish

Just some general advice
    • Probably the most important aspect to consider when evaluating results in person or in video or in photos is to find out if possible when the patient began medication (finasteride, dut etc.) It cannot be overstated just how much of a contribution medication may make to result of a transplant. If I see a transplant result where the medical history is not stated then I ignore it. If the history is given and the patient started medication 6 months before or just after the transplant, then I ignore the result, you just don't know how much for sure how much of the result is the transplant or the medication. Even if you're willing to take the medication, you may or may not respond as well to it. It is common to see results posted on forums by doctors where the patient has had hair transplanted to the front, yet in the result photos the crown is thicker for example, which suggests medication at work
    • Best ignore clinic photos taken in dark lighting, video and outside photos are best
    • Don't rely on hand picked photos cherry picked by a clinic/doctor or clinic to form the basis of your decision, look for posts on the various forum made by patients themselves ideally with accompanying video or outdoor photos
    • Posters proclaming a great 'result' shortly after having surgery, while they may offer some insight into the procedure/doctor/staff, are worthless in evaluating the success of procedure which is only evident months later
    • Always take into account the hair characteristics of the person whose results you are evaluating, there are a number of Spanish doctors who are highly regarded, but they typically operate on Mediterranean patients which thick caliber dark hair and dense donor areas and unless you are similar, their results do not reflect the results that you may achieve
    • Try to pick a doctor who does all/most of the procedure herself and only works on one patient at a time
    • In an ideal world you'd meet people who have previously had procedures with a certain doctor, but I'm aware this is easier said than done
    • The cost of the procedure should be down the list of things to consider when choosing a doctor
    • Educate yourself (if not done already) on FUT vs FUE and the variables in FUE e.g. punch size manual/motorized punch, level of technician involvement, donor over harvesting,etc. etc.

As I alluded to above, I'm not abreast of things as I used to be but personally if I was to get a transplant I don't think I'd go to Turkey, Ireland or the UK
    I'd be looking at Cuoto (4 year waiting list), Lorenzo, Hasson, Konoir, maybe de Freitas and would consider a few others. Some doctors insist on medication being taken prior to operation, something to consider

Concerning your list:
    • Dr. Karadeniz - don't know anything about him as far as I recall
    • Dr. Doganay - well known and regarded I think but there are bad results out there online. The OP went to him and he had a good result, it would be interesting to know when he started taking medication, but the results are very natural
    • Dr. Erdogan - probably the best known Turkish surgeon, always had a reputation for using more grafts than other doctors but had seemingly endless good results out there, but lately there has been considerable clamor about an increase in the frequency of bad results, from poor yield to double grafts in the hairline etc., possibly down to the number of procedures being performed daily, technician involvement. Dig around here https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/forum/24-hair-transplant-experiences-and-surgeon-reviews/
    • Dr. Keser - If I recall correctly usually performs small hairline procedures and does the entire work himself and still had a good reputation when I last looked into him. Compared to other doctors not as many results out there to look at I think
    • KSL Clinic - don't - just google this site:hairlossexperiences.com ksl

Kaan Pekiner and Emrah Cinik are two Turkish doctors who have posted some decent results in recent times, but again I don't know too much about them. You'll find results from them on the Italian forum mentioned above

Unfortunately no one can tell you what to do and/or guarantee you a good result, you can just do your research and make the most informed decision you can. Many people have rolled the dice with lesser known doctors and got good results but as I said decreasing the risk involved by researching is the most prudent approach

I hope this helps somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paulinhio

I strongly recommend taking your time, spend months researching before committing to anything. I know, believe me, no one who is tired of losing their hair and is keen to get something done about it wants to be told to wait but you only have one head with one small section of that head containing a limited supply of donor hair. You want to make the most informed decision you can, and as I have stated before the hair transplant industry has always been and continues to be full of deception. Just look at the frequency which posts are made here and are subsequently deleted as a little example

Unfortunately who the best doctor is is a matter of opinion and over the many years I've been looking into hair transplants I've seen doctors with once stellar reputations fall from favour and sometimes grace due to previously hidden bad results coming to light and/or a change in work practices (e.g. scaling out and more technician involvement in the procedure for example). Every doctor has bad results, but it is the ratio of good to bad that matters.

Find as many forums that can and do your research on them. (you may be aware of all these already?) Unfortunately a lot of them have the 'preferred' doctors, by this I mean the posters there have their favourites but also sometimes it can be a little shadier than that.
    Here are some forums I read (used to, I should say, I am not as interested as I once was)
    • hairlosshelp.com
    • hairlossexperiences.com
    • hairlosstalk.com
    • hairsite.com
    • hairrestorationnetwork.com
    • bellicapelli.forumfree.it - Italian - plenty of poor/bad results here from many top doctors if you dig enough
    • foro.recuperarelpelo.com - Spanish

Just some general advice
    • Probably the most important aspect to consider when evaluating results in person or in video or in photos is to find out if possible when the patient began medication (finasteride, dut etc.) It cannot be overstated just how much of a contribution medication may make to result of a transplant. If I see a transplant result where the medical history is not stated then I ignore it. If the history is given and the patient started medication 6 months before or just after the transplant, then I ignore the result, you just don't know how much for sure how much of the result is the transplant or the medication. Even if you're willing to take the medication, you may or may not respond as well to it. It is common to see results posted on forums by doctors where the patient has had hair transplanted to the front, yet in the result photos the crown is thicker for example, which suggests medication at work
    • Best ignore clinic photos taken in dark lighting, video and outside photos are best
    • Don't rely on hand picked photos cherry picked by a clinic/doctor or clinic to form the basis of your decision, look for posts on the various forum made by patients themselves ideally with accompanying video or outdoor photos
    • Posters proclaming a great 'result' shortly after having surgery, while they may offer some insight into the procedure/doctor/staff, are worthless in evaluating the success of procedure which is only evident months later
    • Always take into account the hair characteristics of the person whose results you are evaluating, there are a number of Spanish doctors who are highly regarded, but they typically operate on Mediterranean patients which thick caliber dark hair and dense donor areas and unless you are similar, their results do not reflect the results that you may achieve
    • Try to pick a doctor who does all/most of the procedure herself and only works on one patient at a time
    • In an ideal world you'd meet people who have previously had procedures with a certain doctor, but I'm aware this is easier said than done
    • The cost of the procedure should be down the list of things to consider when choosing a doctor
    • Educate yourself (if not done already) on FUT vs FUE and the variables in FUE e.g. punch size manual/motorized punch, level of technician involvement, donor over harvesting,etc. etc.

As I alluded to above, I'm not abreast of things as I used to be but personally if I was to get a transplant I don't think I'd go to Turkey, Ireland or the UK
    I'd be looking at Cuoto (4 year waiting list), Lorenzo, Hasson, Konoir, maybe de Freitas and would consider a few others. Some doctors insist on medication being taken prior to operation, something to consider

Concerning your list:
    • Dr. Karadeniz - don't know anything about him as far as I recall
    • Dr. Doganay - well known and regarded I think but there are bad results out there online. The OP went to him and he had a good result, it would be interesting to know when he started taking medication, but the results are very natural
    • Dr. Erdogan - probably the best known Turkish surgeon, always had a reputation for using more grafts than other doctors but had seemingly endless good results out there, but lately there has been considerable clamor about an increase in the frequency of bad results, from poor yield to double grafts in the hairline etc., possibly down to the number of procedures being performed daily, technician involvement. Dig around here https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/forum/24-hair-transplant-experiences-and-surgeon-reviews/
    • Dr. Keser - If I recall correctly usually performs small hairline procedures and does the entire work himself and still had a good reputation when I last looked into him. Compared to other doctors not as many results out there to look at I think
    • KSL Clinic - don't - just google this site:hairlossexperiences.com ksl

Kaan Pekiner and Emrah Cinik are two Turkish doctors who have posted some decent results in recent times, but again I don't know too much about them. You'll find results from them on the Italian forum mentioned above

Unfortunately no one can tell you what to do and/or guarantee you a good result, you can just do your research and make the most informed decision you can. Many people have rolled the dice with lesser known doctors and got good results but as I said decreasing the risk involved by researching is the most prudent approach

I hope this helps somewhat.

Jeez! It helps a lot, thanks. You're like a hair transplant guru or something! The main point I'm taking from you is to keep researching, which I'll do. I have done plenty so far - I'm not rushing into it - but I do have a window of opportunity this month (time off work etc.) so I'm determined to go get it done.

Cuoto, Lorenzo and those lads are not for me - though I take your point. Sure, if I had the dough I'd go to 'yer man in Canada who did Antonio Conte! His is THE best HT I've ever seen. Nah, I'm set on Turkey. I have seen good results from patients of Cinik as you have - but I believe he runs a big operation now with a lot of technicians doing the work, so it could be a roll of the dice based on the skill of your technician. He's priced around the same as Karadeniz (€3k) who hasn't gotten as big so does more of the procedure himself I gather. I'm close to going with him in a couple of weeks. He talks a great game when you watch his YouTube videos, but he has moved from previous stance of complaining about other clinics allowing technicians to carry out procedures (he offers this cheaper package in his clinic). He does sound convincing though. If I could just find one or 2 (trustworthy) positive patient reports, I'd press the button..
    Anyway, thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heiser

I'm at 7 months now today after getting 4000 grafts done by Dr Cinik in Turkey. My hairline looks great but my crown still has a bit of filling in to do. I can feel the new hairs coming through in my crown so hoping to get some more decent coverage there.

From month 1-3 it looked rough enough but it's amazing seeing it now. Best money I spent and well worth the hassle

I've posted a couple of before photos and a photo of my hairline below

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Heiser wrote: »
    I'm at 7 months now today after getting 4000 grafts done by Dr Cinik in Turkey. My hairline looks great but my crown still has a bit of filling in to do. I can feel the new hairs coming through in my crown so hoping to get some more decent coverage there.

From month 1-3 it looked rough enough but it's amazing seeing it now. Best money I spent and well worth the hassle

Looks fantastic man.

Looks great Man. Did u get it done by the doctor himself and was it FUE or DHI?

Looks great Man. Did u get it done by the doctor himself and was it FUE or DHI?

It was FUE. It was mostly done by his technicians. I'd say he did about 20% of the work and they did the rest. Cost 2k and he took some hair from my beard too.

It was FUE. It was mostly done by his technicians. I'd say he did about 20% of the work and they did the rest. Cost 2k and he took some hair from my beard too.

Amazing price for the amount of grafts. I've narrowed it down to Dr Cinik and Cosmedica but I'm gearing towards Cinik at this stage. Hope to get it done in new year. Best of luck with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭20/20

Heiser The results look very good , but iam curious because they used some beard hair do you have to dye it now.?
    Is there any chance you can post a picture of the top of your head where I presume most of the transplant was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Anyone got links or full names for the doctors mentioned above? Is Hasson - Hasson and Wong?

Cuoto, Lorenzo, Hasson, Konoir, maybe de Freitas

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Superb results!
    What about the back of the head where the grafts were taken. has it healed nicely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Shane732 wrote: »
    Anyone got links or full names for the doctors mentioned above? Is Hasson - Hasson and Wong?

Cuoto, Lorenzo, Hasson, Konoir, maybe de Freitas

Victor Hasson and Jerry Wong- Hasson and Wong
    https://hassonandwong.com/

Juan Couto, FUExpert. Madrid, Spain.
    http://www.fuexpert.com/

Jose Lorenzo, Injerto Capilar
    Madrid, Spain
    http://injertocapilar.com/dr-jose-lorenzo/?lang=en

Raymond Konior
    Chicago, US
    https://www.chicagohairinstitute.com/

Rafael De Freitas
    Barcelona and Valencia, Spain
    https://www.clinicadefreitas.com/en/

suave.4u wrote: »
    Superb results!
    What about the back of the head where the grafts were taken. has it healed nicely?

Yes it's healed nicely. I've attached a few more photos from different angles incl the back and top. I'm in the office and the office lighting is shining down on to the crown so it probably looks thinner than it actually looks in real life.

It's only 7 months so hoping the crown fills in more over the coming months and it will as I can feel the new hairs on the top of my head coming through.

I won't have to dye the beard hairs they look the same. They're in my crown and I can't make out what was beard hair and what was head hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Elemonator wrote: »
    Victor Hasson and Jerry Wong- Hasson and Wong
    https://hassonandwong.com/

Juan Couto, FUExpert. Madrid, Spain.
    http://www.fuexpert.com/

Jose Lorenzo, Injerto Capilar
    Madrid, Spain
    http://injertocapilar.com/dr-jose-lorenzo/?lang=en

Raymond Konior
    Chicago, US
    https://www.chicagohairinstitute.com/

Rafael De Freitas
    Barcelona and Valencia, Spain
    https://www.clinicadefreitas.com/en/

I'd love to go somewhere like Spain for it, make a holiday out of the recovery period, but the reviews and results don't seem to be as good as the Turkish clinics. Is that simply down to better marketing from Turkey?

When did your major regrowth take off man, im at 4 months and have the outline regrowth back but its thin hairs so cant judge density yet.

Yes it's healed nicely. I've attached a few more photos from different angles incl the back and top. I'm in the office and the office lighting is shining down on to the crown so it probably looks thinner than it actually looks in real life.

It's only 7 months so hoping the crown fills in more over the coming months and it will as I can feel the new hairs on the top of my head coming through.

I won't have to dye the beard hairs they look the same. They're in my crown and I can't make out what was beard hair and what was head hair.

Congrats, the results look amazing! Did you go for the basic FUE or one of the more expensive packages like DHI? Do you take anything like finasteride to maintain what you have?

Congrats, the results look amazing! Did you go for the basic FUE or one of the more expensive packages like DHI? Do you take anything like finasteride to maintain what you have?

Basic FUE. The package I got that included the procedure, hotel, transfers from airport and some aftercare creams and lotions cost me 2k.

I don't take Finasteride, it's probably too late for that anyway given I had very little hair left. Should have taken it years ago but we afraid of the sides.

Basic FUE. The package I got that included the procedure, hotel, transfers from airport and some aftercare creams and lotions cost me 2k.

I don't take Finasteride, it's probably too late for that anyway given I had very little hair left. Should have taken it years ago but we afraid of the sides.

Same position as myself, but many clinics insist on it afterwards. How's the donor area looking when you have a tighter haircu,t would it be noticeable if you shaved your head?

Same position as myself, but many clinics insist on it afterwards. How's the donor area looking when you have a tighter haircu,t would it be noticeable if you shaved your head?

No not at all. I usually have it shaved to a 1 on the sides and it's fine. After about 2-3 months you couldn't notice anything on the donor area. It's certainly a little less dense than it was but it wouldn't be noticeable

• Advertisement

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    When did your major regrowth take off man, im at 4 months and have the outline regrowth back but its thin hairs so cant judge density yet.

From about 4-6 months the major regrowth happened. It's slowed down now but in them two months it grew a lot

From about 4-6 months the major regrowth happened. It's slowed down now but in them two months it grew a lot

Cool, hopefully by xmas i will have a big difference so.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 paddyuibh

Wow great results!

I would like to get mine done in Ireland but by the looks of it, it would cost atleast 5k +. Ailsbury seems the cheapest but don't do it by graphs instead by hair which seems to have lesser results.

Is the procedure of getting it done easy? Im hoping take 3 weeks off work in June and get it done.. is the procedure done in the one day? Say if I need around 4-5k grafts. Im looking get top crown and front done. Ive good thick hair around the sides.

It's only cause within last year more so I've got more noticeable balder on top so want to get it done soon.

paddyuibh wrote: »
    Wow great results!

I would like to get mine done in Ireland but by the looks of it, it would cost atleast 5k +. Ailsbury seems the cheapest but don't do it by graphs instead by hair which seems to have lesser results.

Is the procedure of getting it done easy? Im hoping take 3 weeks off work in June and get it done.. is the procedure done in the one day? Say if I need around 4-5k grafts. Im looking get top crown and front done. Ive good thick hair around the sides.

It's only cause within last year more so I've got more noticeable balder on top so want to get it done soon.

I got it done in a day. I also took three weeks off work. I flew back to Ireland from Turkey and lay low for the first 5-6 days and then went traveling and just wore a cap till the scabs came off.

The procedure isn't exactly easy, it's uncomfortable. The only real pain I had was when they were sticking the needles in my head at the start, after that I hardly felt a thing and just lay there out of my head for 6 hours or so.

Heiser your results look amazing. Thanks for putting up the extra photos.

paddyuibh wrote: »
    Wow great results!

May I suggest you copy Heiser and get it done where he did. Just like him I also had 4000 done in Feb so also eight months ago. I got mine done in Ailesbury hair clinic Dublin at a cost of €7500. Do the maths.
    I will try to post a pic of before and after if you want and if I can find them. I think Heiser may have a better looking result so far and I would be very happy with his results. But to be fair to Ailesbury and my transplant, I was badly scalded on the head over 40 years ago and because there has been no hair there since then its very unlikely to grow now. They did fully explain that I was taking gamble on what might grow.

20/20 wrote: »
    May I suggest you copy Heiser and get it done where he did. Just like him I also had 4000 done in Feb so also eight months ago. I got mine done in Ailesbury hair clinic Dublin at a cost of €7500. Do the maths.
    I will try to post a pic of before and after if you want and if I can find them. I think Heiser may have a better looking result so far and I would be very happy with his results. But to be fair to Ailesbury and my transplant, I was badly scalded on the head over 40 years ago and because there has been no hair there since then its very unlikely to grow now. They did fully explain that I was taking gamble on what might grow.

Did ailesbury do 4000 grafts of 4000 hairs for 7500euro? I think its hairs that ailesbury charge by.

Did ailesbury do 4000 grafts of 4000 hairs for 7500euro? I think its hairs that ailesbury charge by.

That is a very good question and to be honest I don't know.
    I didn't do enough research at the time and was ignorant to the procedures.
    At the time I read some info on Turkey and Ireland. Turkey was not all good news and Ailesbury had no bad stories and guarantee 90% growth and if not a success will do again for free. So I decided to keep my money in Ireland. They will be calling me back within the next two or three months to check my results. I can ask then exactly was it grafts or hairs.

Yeah do man, i went with Dr Nel in Malahide in july for 2000 grafts for 8000 euro, not cheap but it really was a hassle free experience and i just hate airports at the best of times not to mind having a transplant just done. I read somewhere that ailesbury charge by the hair i could be wrong though.

• Advertisement

Yeah do man, i went with Dr Nel in Malahide in july for 2000 grafts for 8000 euro, not cheap but it really was a hassle free experience and i just hate airports at the best of times not to mind having a transplant just done. I read somewhere that ailesbury charge by the hair i could be wrong though.

The hassle free experience is the best part. Taxi in for procedure at 7am. Sitting at home eating my dinner at 4pm.

Advertisement