Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options
1686970717274»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Deadwards.com

Hi Fuzzy Zoeller,

Given that your hair loss has only begun at a late stage, have you had your bloods checked to see if there are possibly any underlying issues such as an under active Thyroid? It would be worth checking this in the first instance.

Regarding medication, most clinics will recommend minoxidil or finasteride or both. The reason is to simply try to stabilise your hair loss before having a transplant as without stabilising you run the risk of future progression. Given you suffer with depression it would be imperative to speak with your doctor before starting finasteride as it can impact on sufferers. In saying that I do know of a few people with depression using the meds but it would differ from person to person which is why if you were to begin on it, that it would be done under the supervision of your own GP. Both medications do sightly different things minoxidil can increase the numbers of hairs your grafts have while finasteride lowers your body's DHT levels which is the root cause of AGA. They do work and in most cases, do improve the quality of your hair as by lowering DHT, the hair the grafts produce can strengthen.

There is a topical version of finasteride available which whilst, not as effective as the oral tablet, has been shown to work. It is not as yet FDA approved but I know of a number of people who either have it sent to friends in th eUK and shipped over or get it via minoxidilmax.com.

I hope some of this helps but I am not a doctor so do please check everything with your GP and best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I just returned from holiday and looking at your query.

Please do not listen to random posters here claiming "Finasteride is no. 1 for hair loss" and "safe".

Always consult your doctor when in doubt, rather than relying on "Mr Wayne" who is behind his wheels 🛞

Please Google "Post Finasteride Syndrome"

And have a look here:

https://www.hims.com/blog/what-happens-if-you-stop-taking-finasteride-for-hair-loss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone who has no idea what they are talking about introduced Post-Finateride Syndrome into this thread. Hopefully those reading about it for the first time will have the sense to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Google any drug and you will find side effects. I was on finasteride years ago everday and did get watery semen. Had hair trasnplant with Dr Nel in 2019 and he put me on 1.25mg 3 times a week and zero sides. If you don't take finasteride you will lose more hair, its that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just received an email from address pal asking for my proof of prescription for the hims topical minoxidil spray!

I’ve told them to basically go and swing for it as it’s private information I wouldn’t be giving to a courier.
    I’ll see how this develops and keep you all updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I have a consultation with Tír na Nóg on Saturday. Bit **** they charge €50 for a consultation when other places I went to were free. At least Dr Nel charges you but gives you a prescription for fin and min. Anyone know much about then or had a consultation with them?

Advertisement