Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honeysuckle

Options
  • 20-07-2015 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭

Ever since I was a kid I've loved the smell of honeysuckle and I'd love to plant some. When and how? Advice please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Buy one, dig hole, plant it, stand back and watch! They do in fact take a couple of seasons to really get going but after that no hassle. I have one in flower at the moment and the scent is glorious. I think they seem to appreciate the roots being in shade, the rest will cope happily with semi-shade as they are woodland plants. Tie it up with sturdy wires, don't bother with wooden trellis, the honeysuckle will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Thanks. And plant at what time of year?

Ideally you plant anything in autumn or spring, but in fact container grown plants can be planted pretty much any time, and in a summer like this they will be fine. If (please, pretty please!) it does turn hot and dry you just need to water it, but really it is not likely at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I take it the honeysuckle and the wild woodbine are close relatives, yet the woodbine doesn't give off the same fragrance at all. But the woodbine looks nice. I had some wild woodbine at one stage but a workman got rid of it :(

Woodbine is the same as honeysuckle. Cultivars of honeysuckle are less likely to be referred to as woodbine, but both smell lovely. The flowers of cultivars vary but most of the garden centre ones would be what you are looking for. Halliana does have somewhat less showy white/yellow flowers, Belgica might be more what you have in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Honeysuckle does take a while to settle down as looksee said. Had one that sulked for 11 years, just producing a few flowers each year. Then, for no obvious reason, it took off and now, after another 5 years, is a joy to behold.

Advertisement