Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need shoe advice

Options
  • 21-07-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I currently Squat and Deadlift in Chuck Taylors and Skip in Puma Exsis running shoes.

The running shoes have a high heal which catches the rope and they also lack forefoot cushioning.

I am considering getting either a Reebok Nano 4.0 to do all my training in or getting a speciality shoe for each exercise e.g Adidas Powerlifts for Squat, Vibrams for Deadlifts and a cheaper crosstraining shoe more suited to skipping.

Getting speciality shoes works out expensive but would they be worth it long term given that they wouldnt wear out.

How much benefit would I be losing by choosing the Nanos for lifting. Has anyone noticed differences in what they can lift between Powerlifting shoes and crosstraining shoes.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you have the Cons already, there's no need to get Vibrams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

@Alf do u mean I should rule out the Adidas Powerlifts also

@Guile do u use those for Powerlifts or skipping

rigmaroll wrote: »
    @Alf do u mean I should rule out the Adidas Powerlifts also

Not necessarily. The reason you'd use Powerlifts for squats doesn't really apply for deadlifts.

Flat-soled shoes with no cushion are perfect for deadlifts

I have no problem with ankle flexibility in the Squat so would there be any advantage for me using Adidas Powerlifts.

I noticed they have a slight heal. Would this work against me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I have no problem with ankle flexibility in the Squat so would there be any advantage for me using Adidas Powerlifts.

Do you have issues hitting depth? Do you have a wide stance or a narrow stance?

Heeled shoes make it easier to hit depth and are advantageous to me, as I have a narrow stance. However a lot of people with wider stances find it more comfortable to squat in flat soled shoes for a variety of reasons.

I use a shoulder width stance with feet turned out about 30degrees. This is what Rippetoe advises. It works for me.

I'm wondering would the benefit of the extra stability of the Powerlifts shoe be outweighed by the heal lift.

Which Squat shoe has the smallest heal lift.

Plenty of people for whom ankle mobility isn't an issue use weightlifting shows. The raised heel makes it easier to get into a good position.

You don't need them and they won't automatically make you squat more or bettter. But they can help.

@Guile do u use those for Powerlifts or skipping

deadlifts and squats
    very thin

I'm wondering would the benefit of the extra stability of the Powerlifts shoe be outweighed by the heal lift.

You seem to think that the raised heel is a negative. It's raised for a reason.

And plenty of top powerlifters and weightlifters use them....despite the raised heel.

• Advertisement

i find it a lot easier to maintain my form with a flat thin heeled shoe, maybe just personal pref

guile4582 wrote: »
    i find it a lot easier to maintain my form with a flat thin heeled shoe, maybe just personal pref

There is that. I think kevpants posted something similar before. But I would have thought more have found them beneficial than not.

But if you have good ankle mobility, you don't need them. I mostly like the stability compared to my flat, thin-soled shoes.

i was wearing Reezigs to the gym and they made the deadlift difficult.

guile4582 wrote: »
    i was wearing Reezigs to the gym and they made the deadlift difficult.

Just googled them - I'm not surprised they made deadlifts difficult.

I deadlift either in my Penneys version of Cons or without shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This guy has not issue with ankle mobility either. He still wears lifting shoes.

Why do you think the heel could work against you?

4bc81d8e235903b8a9ace8630241d8b5.jpg

I'm about to order the Powerlifts 2 from Adidas.ie.

My app won't let me post links. Type in the URL without the space.
    http:// m.adidas.ie/search?q=Powerlifts

The red and black shoe has a completely flat sole while the other shoes have a slight raise in the front foot.

I would like to know which type is better in your opinion before I order.

Also when choosing the size do you find they match your regular shoes or do you need to drop down or go up a size with the Adidas Powerlifts.

Thanks for your help with this post

All Powerlift 2 shoes have the same sole.

Go to D8 Fitness and try out some. No one knows what suits you better than you.

If you look at the pics of the shoes side by side you will see that the whole sole of the red and black shoe is in contact with the floor but the other shoes have soles that are raised at the front foot.

BTW Adidas give a 15% discount for first time buyers if u sign up for email web offers. Reebok do the same

If you look at the pics of the shoes side by side you will see that the whole sole of the red and black shoe is in contact with the floor but the other shoes have soles that are raised at the front foot.

Don't judge by pictures.

Do go to a shop that sells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You are reading too much into the photo. It's probably just the way the shoe was handled before the photo. It's irrellevant though, the forefoot will sit flat when your foot is in it.
    The soles are all the same, They're all raised, but raise is at the heel not the toe.

• Advertisement

Thanks for clearing that up Mellor. I thought there might be different styles of the same shoe.

I contacted Adidas and they said the earliest they will ship is Tuesday so didn't place the order yet.

Are the Adipowers vastly superior to the powerlifts. I might go for those instead

I thought people might be interested in this given that romaleos seem to be hard to get here.

While looking around the web for shoes I seen that Nike Romaleos are available here for 215 at the
    fightersfactory.ie

http :// www .thefightersfactory.ie/product/romaleos-2-weightlifting-shoes/

Edit

Thanks for clearing that up Mellor. I thought there might be different styles of the same shoe.

I contacted Adidas and they said the earliest they will ship is Tuesday so didn't place the order yet.

Are the Adipowers vastly superior to the powerlifts. I might go for those instead

They're not vastly superior, but they're better. A step up from the powerlifts are the power perfects, which are very good, and above that are the adipowers which are also very good. I personally went for the adipowers as I realised I'd be using them for at least 5 the next years, so I might aswell pay a little more and get the best ones available. After reductions and discounts I got mine for 150 shipped, which was a great deal imo.

The Romaleos are on the same level as the Adipowers, and some people prefer them, and others prefer the Adipowers. 215€ is too much imo, when Adipowers are much cheaper on the adidas website.

Thanks MightyMandarin, I think the 15% discount is a good offer from Adidas and Reebok for first time buyers. They also ship orders over 89 free.

Do you know if there are discount codes that I could also use for Adidas to bring the price down even more

I forgot to ask who sells Do-Wins. Many people mention they wear them but I can't find who sells them here.

I tried Rogue but they seem to be discontinued.

Would they be comparable to Adipowers or Romaleos.

I forgot to ask who sells Do-Wins. Many people mention they wear them but I can't find who sells them here.

I tried Rogue but they seem to be discontinued.

Would they be comparable to Adipowers or Romaleos.

You can get them on Amazon or Aliexpress (lots of sellers from China have them as they're a chinese brand afaik).

They're a very good shoe; a bit of a clunky feel so I've heard, but they're cheaper than Adidas and Nike, but are a very good shoe. I think the Chinese weightlifting team use them, and I know Dan Green uses a pair of Pendlay Do-Wins so they're excellent for powerlifting or weightlifting.

Thanks, the Do Wins are 100.51euro inc shipping and the Adipowers are 148.75 after discount and Inc free shipping.

I think the Adipowers look the better deal. What do u think

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks, the Do Wins are 100.51euro inc shipping and the Adipowers are 148.75 after discount and Inc free shipping.

I think the Adipowers look the better deal. What do u think

I'd take the Do Wins at that price tbh. You'll just be using them for squats right? And you can also use them for push pressing / power cleans / snatches / cleans / jerks down the road if you like. I've heard they do the job just fine so pocket the €50 discount imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

IMO the Power Perfect 2 are the best mid priced shoe out there. D8 fitness have them for €110. Adidas speciality sports also have them but only in sizes 12+ I think currently. Really can't go wrong with this shoe, it's similar to the powerlift 2 but has a higher and more solid heel.

http://www.d8fitness.com/product/adidas-power-perfect-2/

Adipower build quality isn't great for the money, lots of stories of them not lasting very long. My pair lasted 7 months. They're a great shoe (I prefer them to the Nike Romaleos) but if you are spending that amount of cash you want something that will last two years minimum.

Not sure on the do wins, heard Good and things. Some pairs last ages, others don't.

The Nike Romaleos are expensive but they are a very good shoe.

Advertisement