Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Dreamweaver Course

Options
  • 21-07-2015 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

I used Dreamweaver a bit for work 8+ years ago and know some HTML and CSS.
    I have an opportunity to get some training part funded and am considering a course in Dreamweaver. I cannot find many courses or much feedback about courses online but a search has thrown up the following course providers:

http://www.bigwavemediatraining.ie/courses-adobe-dw-ess.php

http://www.iactweb.com/dreamweaver.html

They both seem to be accredited by Adobe. Anyone have any experience of them?

Or any recommendations for a course in Dreamweaver?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Firstly, why are you thinking of focussing on Dreamweaver? 8+ years ago, I can certainly understand why, when you were learning/writing HTML and CSS, that it was Dreamweaver that you were using. However, it's sort of become irrelevant these days in web design - not entirely, I understand, and I know some people that still use it as a preference for editing.

If it's to use it solely as a code editor (not the 'Design View') aspect of it, then there are a lot more editors freely available out there that are better than Dreamweaver and less resource heavy on your machine.

If it's to use DW's Design View, then I would recommend simply taking a course in HTML & CSS to learn how to code. Dreamweaver still adds a lot of excess code to the page in order to display what's in design view, and you loose a bit of control over the appearance of the page making websites this way. There a lot of free courses online (and very good ones) that you can use to learn HTML & CSS at a more advanced level. I'd, honestly be surprised if the majority of people on this forum recommend Dreamweaver as an editor, let alone would be able to recommend a course to you. Where as I'm sure you'll happily receive lots of recommendations for good free online courses to learn HTML & CSS, as well as people experiences with good free/paid editors.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Better to find a course that teaches html5, CSS, responsive design and principles of design. If you understand these then a tool like Dreamweaver should be easy to use and you will understand things much better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Dreamweaver was something I was introduced to back in 2005 and I thought it was a dead tool. If it's HTML and CSS you want to work with and if you're willing to work with ASP.NET, JS and JQuery, Visual Studio works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I was in a very similar position to you earlier this year OP, had to build something in html5,.CSS and JavaScript for a project and I thought to use Dreamweaver as I hadn't used it in 7.years.

I ended up doing the entire thing in code view anyway. It may as well have been in notepad++ Anything I didn't know how to do, it was quicker and simpler to find out how to do it on stack overflow in code/tags than find and use a Dreamweaver feature.

Get training in languages and technologies rather than tools, as suggested above.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-express-vs.aspx

I can't recommend this enough. It allows for relatively easy testing as you go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement