Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash buyer & proof of funds?

Options
  • 21-07-2015 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I wondering if anyone has experience with a cash purchase?

I'm interested in a property that I can afford in cash but I haven't put in a bid yet. I wanted to seek a proof of funds amount before I went ahead with the offer in case I'll be asked for it anyway.

I don't want to show my entire cash fund to the EA if it's asked so I called my bank to see if they could issue a letter to say I have X amount of funds available.
    My bank told me they can't issue a letter saying I only have X amount of funds available. All they can do is issue a statement for my accounts.

Have I gotten bad advice from my bank or this is just the way it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Think the best way might be to engage your solicitor now, show him the statements and then have him draw up an open-ended/no specifics "I confirm that my client has sufficient funds to purchase this property without requiring a mortgage" letter for each property IF you are asked to provide one. Don't think you need to get this sorted in advance of viewing/making an offer, but be ready to provide it if the EA asks. Never show them your total balance, obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Get your solicitor to write a proof of funds letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sami2015

I once had an EA tell me that "it's best to get a letter showing your full mortgage approval so that we can save time"..... I was quite shocked and beat a hasty retreat once he told me that of course he would know that I would only bid what I thought the place was worth rather than the max that I could afford.

I have subsequently used a letter from a solicitor when asked to provide proof of funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Bought a house cash two years ago. I did show the ea a bank statement but only after it was sale agreed. I think the solicitor letter is a better idea in hindsight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Thanks everyone. It seems a solicitors letter is the general consensus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Alternatively- a bank's letter- with the actual amounts redacted (and then photocopy the redacted letter- so there is no possibility of the EA figuring your means).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

My bank wrote a letter confirming that I had sufficient funds to cover a payment of €x when I had more than €x available. I wonder if your difficulty is that you wanted the bank to say or imply that you had "only" a certain amount.

Advertisement