Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Machine/ Alienware Alpha

• 21-07-2015 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi I want to play pc games like the Total War series. I dont want a pc but am considering a Steam Machine or Alienware Alpha. Any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Don't go Alienware anyways. Unless you enjoy getting shafted for money.

As for the Steam Machine, they're ridiculously overpriced, as all Alienware boxes are. Handy for use, but substandard specs and a free operating system, makes much more sense to build your own.

Would you be interested in building your own PC? Outmuscle a Steam Machine for €300-400 less for a high end one, and you can upgrade in future.

If you wanted you can install the SteamOS or Ubuntu or whatever and Windows onto it like the Alpha, Windows is €20 the other two are free. Piss all games on Linux, like 1100 Linux games on GOG compared to 2500 Windows on Steam alone. No comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

skankles wrote: »
    I dont want a pc but am considering a Steam Machine or Alienware Alpha.

The Steam Machine and Alienware Alpha are PCs. It's just that they come in a living room friendly box. Build your own, as Digital Solitude says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Missed the part Dair quoted. They're simply really expensive PCs OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Also there is any amount of cases to choose from so your not restricted to having a full tower. You could go for something more living room friendly as mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i have a custom alienware machine - (ex-staff discount & mate being a manager, it was worth it) never had any hassle with hardware but the others are right, you're paying for the alienware brand and through the nose too. They are good machines, but the very same hardware can be gotten elsewhere for a hundred quid or so cheaper (maybe even more) overall - best bet would be to check out the pc building & upgrading forum here on boards, or even tell them in new topic about what kind of machine you're aiming for and what kind of cash you can spend on it

However, if you're certain you want to go with an alienware machine, my own experience with them has been good and i'd recommend them if you don't mind forking out extra.

• Advertisement
Advertisement