Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Kitchen/Living Room swap

Options
  • 21-07-2015 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi

We have a three bedroom mid-terraced house with a downstairs consisting of a kitchen to the front of the house and a living room to the back.

The living room is considerably larger than the kitchen and we think we'd like to swap the two.

I've no idea where to start to do this so hence the thread. I'm hoping I could get some advice on who to approach. Would we need a few different trades or is it possible that this could be done using just one company? Also is there anything in particular I should look out for when doing this type of work?

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Any small builder can do this.
    I've looked at a few and one recently.

Mainly :

Strip downstairs completely back to plasterboard.
    Expose existing gas supply etc

May have to chase a bit for drainage depending on where the existing system goes.
    New kitchen?
    New tiles?
    Floors?
    New kitchen appliances or reuse existing?

It's a full on renovation job without any structural work (depends on your personal set up).

You would ideally get a drawing done and 3 builders to quote.

Where are you based as it may help somebody with recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As KC plus you need to consider the electrics, especially if u have an elec cooker with maybe a 6 sq cable which some sparks don't like joining.

Also the hot and cold and rising main runs.
    Long flat runs of 32 or 40 mm waste from sink eventually give trouble so if you end up with that, make sure u have a rodding eye out back so as they can be cleaned.
    Also chasing deep in the floor usually goes through the dp membrane so this has to be redone properly.
    Relocating rads then.... relocating extractor fan,
    where is the gas boiler, am assuming it is in corner beside the sink venting out front?
    All very doable :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭friso59

kceire wrote: »
    Any small builder can do this.
    I've looked at a few and one recently.

Mainly :

Strip downstairs completely back to plasterboard.
    Expose existing gas supply etc

May have to chase a bit for drainage depending on where the existing system goes.
    New kitchen?
    New tiles?
    Floors?
    New kitchen appliances or reuse existing?

It's a full on renovation job without any structural work (depends on your personal set up).

You would ideally get a drawing done and 3 builders to quote.

Where are you based as it may help somebody with recommendations.

Thanks for the replies so far. Much appreciated. The house is in kimmage so if anyone has any idea of builders/tradesmen that'd do the job please let me know. It sounds like it's doable but it's a big enough job so any idea of costs/time involved?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

friso59 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far. Much appreciated. The house is in kimmage so if anyone has any idea of builders/tradesmen that'd do the job please let me know. It sounds like it's doable but it's a big enough job so any idea of costs/time involved?

Without a drawing nobody can guess.
    It could be a 20 Sq. M job or a 79 Sq. m job.

All depends on the floor area, work to be removed, works to supply the new area with all services and then finishes.

Could be 15k, could be 25k.

Advertisement