Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treasure hunt

Options
  • 21-07-2015 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm doing a treasure hunt for my boyfriends birthday..we are early-mid twenties (but children at heart..obviously). The treasure hunt will be around town (temple bar area) or close enough to it anyway. I need to come up with cryptic clues to guide him to places but only have two so far..any suggestions for cryptic clues (they have to be difficult because he is very smart) would be hugely appreciated! The cinema and the Gresham hotel will have to be two of the clues! Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I am as wide as I am long. What am I? O'Connell Bridge

I'll be back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Which cinema?

AKA The Dick With The Stick.

James Joyce statue on Talbot Street

Go where you'll find four gospels from the new testament (Book of kells).

Find the Chapter House and Slype (St Marys Abbey off Capel Street).

Obviously maybe come up with something more cryptic as clues though!

The only house left on O'Connell Street. No.42

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 hello2332

Thank you all so much they are brilliant!!! I'm going to use them all! I have never heard the dick with the stick one but that's so funny! Also it doesn't really matter which cinema..see I plan on just bringing him to the cinema that day but it's not until the end of august so I have no idea movie times yet. If you get me? I think just any cinema will do and if times or viewings don't suit ill bring him to a different one hehe..Thanks again everyone and keep them coming if yous can think of anything else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

"If you're in the dark about movies, this fella will show you where to go":

This can be the bronze usher statue outside the Screen cinema.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_Cinema
    800px-Usher_statue_-_full_body.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Seek out an ogre's hamper! Be brave, get inside and you will find your reward!

For the "Gresham".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

The only place in Dublin where "mummies" reside. St michans crypt.

Where is the second O'Connell bridge in Dublin city centre? It's the small one on st Stephen's green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Where is the second O'Connell bridge in Dublin city centre? It's the small one on st Stephen's green.

Isn't that the only O'Connell bridge in Dublin, as the other one is O'Connell Street bridge.

• Advertisement

The only place in Dublin where "mummies" reside. St michans crypt.

I was trying to think of a clue to go for that one before not a spot many know about. "Where's the only place to find Irish Mummies" would be a good way to word it with the Irish Mammies thing being so popular right now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Two guys came up to me in Stephen's Green a while ago, they were on a treasure hunt and they showed me a clue about a 'toerag'. Put on the spot, I had no idea but when they were gone I remembered a statue (bust) of this fella at the edge of the park called Tagore.
    Feel free to rob that if you're doing any around that area! Apparently the first statue in Stephen's Green of a non-Irish person (he was Indian) according to this.

jimmii wrote: »
    I was trying to think of a clue to go for that one before not a spot many know about. "Where's the only place to find Irish Mummies" would be a good way to word it with the Irish Mammies thing being so popular right now.

"Ask your mummy about your crusade, but where is she?" (mummies, crusaders, etc)

Speedsie wrote: »
    Isn't that the only O'Connell bridge in Dublin, as the other one is O'Connell Street bridge.

most people dont call it o connell street bridge for right or wrong..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Connell_Bridge

Clue could be "im standing right in the middle of O'Connell bridge but I still cant see the Spire, hey Stephen be a saint and grab me a ladder"

ok thats terrible...ill get me coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

most people dont call it o connell street bridge for right or wrong..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Connell_Bridge

Clue could be "im standing right in the middle of O'Connell bridge but I still cant see the Spire, hey Stephen be a saint and grab me a ladder"

ok thats terrible...ill get me coat...

True enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

How many bridges over the Liffey in Dublin?
    24 (incl the new Rosie Hackett bridge) ... I wonder would people include the Farmleigh bridge (now disused and usually forgotten)

richardjjd wrote: »
    How many bridges over the Liffey in Dublin?
    24 (incl the new Rosie Hackett bridge) ... I wonder would people include the Farmleigh bridge (now disused and usually forgotten)

If its a bridge and its over the Liffey its counts imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

jimmii wrote: »
    If its a bridge and its over the Liffey its counts imo.

Agreed - and its included in the 24 ... but its the one people usually forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Don't have any ideas to add, but just wanted to say that I think it's a brilliant idea for a thing / present for someone.

Hope he enjoys it.

Guys...I cannot thank you enough!! To think yous all took time out to help a newbie/stranger makes me chuffed! I'll be showing him this whole thread, post treasure hunt and I'm sure he will only be delighted! (Maybe slightly embarrassed for me?!). Ah, as long as i have had my fun, that's all that matters 😈 thanks again!! More suggestions welcome!!

• Advertisement

Lucy8080 wrote: »

For the "Gresham".

Could u just explain the first bit to me? He is smart but unfortunately I am not!! I don't get the ogres hamper bit :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Lucy8080 wrote: »

For the "Gresham".
    hello2332 wrote: »
    Could u just explain the first bit to me? He is smart but unfortunately I am not!! I don't get the ogres hamper bit :(

OGre's hamper (Gresham) :)

miamee wrote: »
    OGre's hamper (Gresham) :)

Oh you are a genius!!!!!!!!!! I would have never have gotten that hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Don't worry about making your own treasure hunt. Just introduce them to www.geocaching.com

I know you are probably all sick of this thing but the gresham was booked out so I booked a room in the Gibson..any ideas what type of clue would lead to there? I was thinking if I don't come up with anything I could just put map coordinates or something and give him a map haha..any help as always will be appreciated!

I was looking for a place to stay in the Village. Perhaps Mel or one of the BeeGee's male children could Point me in the right direction

(Mel Gibson)
    (Gibb's son)

Nope.....that was terrible

Hahaha that is good!!

Advertisement