Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi gets build approval in Ennistymon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Aldi recently got build approval for the site in Ennistymon, meaning the fate of the mart is all but sealed.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/aldi-gets-build-approval-despite-farmers-protest-343650.html

I admire the local lads efforts to keep the mart going but it was a hard one to justify given that it was redundant 95% of the time.

Why oh why do we keeping making the same mistakes in this country. These supermarkets are environmentally unfriendly job killing and town emptying behemoths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

Palmach wrote: »
    Why oh why do we keeping making the same mistakes in this country. These supermarkets are environmentally unfriendly job killing and town emptying behemoths.

Quite the opposite actually. They bring a lot of people to the town, sell a lot of Irish produce, provide jobs and good career opportunities for people and run a very lean and efficient organisation which could teach most shops a thing or two.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Wouldn't think stop people leaving Ennistymon? Surely it would keep shopping in the town, I know the majority of young families will go to Ennis to stop in Lidl/Aldi & Tesco, so I think despite local opposition, I think it will help the local shops, including Supervalu.

dmc17 wrote: »
    Quite the opposite actually. They bring a lot of people to the town, sell a lot of Irish produce, provide jobs and good career opportunities for people and run a very lean and efficient organisation which could teach most shops a thing or two.

All the international research disrpoves what you have posted. I recommend reading several well written books like Tescopoly, Not on the Label and Shopped to see the damage Big Supermarkets do to towns where they open. Have a look at Ballinrobe to see the end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GreaseGunner

Kilrush have Tesco, Aldi and Supervalu. Given the size of the town (relatively large but not massive in fairness) those are three pretty big operators to have all in one place. They've had no detrimental effects as of yet, I've heard all 3 are seeing a decent amount of shoppers.

It'll be interesting to see what Aldi does to Ennistymon. I'm welcoming it 100%.

• Advertisement

All the international research disrpoves what you have posted. I recommend reading several well written books like Tescopoly, Not on the Label and Shopped to see the damage Big Supermarkets do to towns where they open. Have a look at Ballinrobe to see the end result.

I was referring to Aldi, not Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

they (aldi) want to open a store in killaloe now, right opposite supervalu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

fryup wrote: »
    they (aldi) want to open a store in killaloe now, right opposite supervalu

Good news actually. Supervalue in Killaloe is outrageously expensive. They will still sell their fancy stuff, but have to be more competitive now with everyday items.

Don't underestimate customers, they are no sheep. They buy their essentials (like washing powder, toilet paper, pasta and, yes, decent wine) cheaply at Aldi's and organic milk or specialty goods at Supervalue's.

So it's definitely a win situation for consumers and keeps overprized and monopolised supermarkets on their toes.

Aldi (or Lidl) are not the death of home made supermarkets, they give other companies a choice of being different and not a rip-off. If the management is clever, that is.

Kilrush have Tesco, Aldi and Supervalu. Given the size of the town (relatively large but not massive in fairness) those are three pretty big operators to have all in one place. They've had no detrimental effects as of yet, I've heard all 3 are seeing a decent amount of shoppers.

It'll be interesting to see what Aldi does to Ennistymon. I'm welcoming it 100%.

Kilrush has been ruined by Tesco and Aldi. Many small shops have closed down. 7 years ago you'd earn to get parking anywhere in the town centre, now you can take your pick. Remember for every 1 job the big supermarkets create 3 are lost in the area.

Kilrush has been ruined by Tesco and Aldi. Many small shops have closed down. 7 years ago you'd earn to get parking anywhere in the town centre, now you can take your pick. Remember for every 1 job the big supermarkets create 3 are lost in the area.

7 years ago - let me see, that was just before the economic bubble burst. After that one business after the next went bust, not only in Kilrush but in other towns as well. Hardly the fault of Tesco and Aldi.

Also, I'd like to know how you got the statistics that every job the big supermarkets create 3 are lost in the area. Genuinely curious.

• Advertisement

Carry wrote: »
    7 years ago - let me see, that was just before the economic bubble burst. After that one business after the next went bust, not only in Kilrush but in other towns as well. Hardly the fault of Tesco and Aldi.

Also, I'd like to know how you got the statistics that every job the big supermarkets create 3 are lost in the area. Genuinely curious.

I have posted some books reading above. You can also go to The Joseph Rowntree Foundation or the New Economics Project. When you have finished you'll see the destruction that can and is being done by big supermarkets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

When I lived in Kilrush before and after Tesco opened up, I still did a lot of shopping in Lidl and Aldi in Ennis. Shops in Kilrush were always expensive and failed to see this coming, the businesses with foresight and the business acumen have remained open.

Rumours are, that Tesco is in trouble, and if it is true, because people don't liked getting ripped off, regardless of those who are doing the ripping off.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kilnababe

I can only speak for myself and I shop in Aldi Ennis but I would gladly go to Aldi Ennistymon as it's more convenient and probably will not be as mobbed as Ennis. I would be likely to do a little more shopping in Ennistymon as a result, likely beneficiaries would be chemist, bakery, stationery shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Good news actually. Supervalue in Killaloe is outrageously expensive. They will still sell their fancy stuff, but have to be more competitive now with everyday items.

Don't underestimate customers, they are no sheep. They buy their essentials (like washing powder, toilet paper, pasta and, yes, decent wine) cheaply at Aldi's and organic milk or specialty goods at Supervalue's.

So it's definitely a win situation for consumers and keeps overprized and monopolised supermarkets on their toes.

Aldi (or Lidl) are not the death of home made supermarkets, they give other companies a choice of being different and not a rip-off. If the management is clever, that is.

Bullcrap

Supervalu in Killaloe is a fine shop. The branded stuff they sell is on a par with pricing in any of the big multiples. And they sell plenty of own brand stuff with pricing on a par with the stuff you get in Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

BnB wrote: »
    Bullcrap

Supervalu in Killaloe is a fine shop. The branded stuff they sell is on a par with pricing in any of the big multiples. And they sell plenty of own brand stuff with pricing on a par with the stuff you get in Aldi.

I don't agree with you. In my opinion SuperValu Killaloe is a reasonably good supermarket but compared to the larger stores in Nenagh and Limerick, you do not have the same range of choice or value for money.

Aldi will be good for the people of Killaloe & Ballina, more choice and competition is a win win for shoppers. More people from the area will be likely to do their week shopping locally that go to Nenagh or Limerick instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Bullcrap

I was speaking to a supervalu owner recently and he said you can't compete with Aldi, Tesco etc. head on. Its about finding reasons to get customers into the shop, GAA tickets, dropping shopping home for customers (not the same as shopping online) stalls selling local produce, marketing the place as being part of the community etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

elastico wrote: »
    I was speaking to a supervalu owner recently and he said you can't compete with Aldi, Tesco etc. head on. Its about finding reasons to get customers into the shop, GAA tickets, dropping shopping home for customers (not the same as shopping online) stalls selling local produce, marketing the place as being part of the community etc.

Sorry, but I don't agree with that. There are an awful lots of way with competing with your competitors, price is 1 of them, service is another, saying that you can't compete with the big bad multi-nationals is an excuse.

Supervalu is ran by Musgraves, they own a lot of the market share in Ireland and have announced recently that they are going after even more market share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Aldi and Lidl do a lot of smart things to cut costs that don't involve screwing over the suppliers or customers. I wish Tesco, Dunnes and Supervalu were a bit less sluggish when it comes to trying to beat the German chains at their own game. Smaller shops, faster tills, less reliance on brands and freezers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Aldi and Lidl do a lot of smart things to cut costs that don't involve screwing over the suppliers or customers. I wish Tesco, Dunnes and Supervalu were a bit less sluggish when it comes to trying to beat the German chains at their own game. Smaller shops, faster tills, less reliance on brands and freezers etc.

Are you serious ?

Are you serious ?

I would imagine they are. In Lidl/Aldi, the till operator says hello to you, then scans your shopping through without delay takes payment and says goodbye. I can't count how many times I've been in other shops waiting at a till while the person being checked out is having a full blown conversation with the till operator thus slowing down the whole process.
    You may also have noticed that they don't have a packing area by the till itself. Again, they want you to put your stuff in your trolley and move out of the way as fast as possible.
    I'm pretty sure if you compared the amount of items checked out per minute by till operators whilst on their till, Aldi/Lidl would come out on top.

• Advertisement

Pretty much. The fact you just fire the stuff in and pack later makes the tills much faster. The staff are have some sort of money or performance based targets based around serving people quickly as well which explains the lack of chat.

Now they often don't have enough tills open but, hey, I'm not saying they should emulate everything about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I find Tesco notorious for slow tills hence why I prefer the self checkouts..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My rant on tills.

If you go to a Tesco or Dunnes you're going to be queuing for ages cause people have lots of small items, takes the cashier ages to get through everything and then takes the person ages to pack the messages cause there's loads of small individual items.
    If you go to Lidl/Aldi there are MASSIVE queues at the check outs but because people are buying in bulk they usually go faster through them, the lack of packing area mean people have to pack into the trolley or go to the end to sort their stuff out.

Tesco home delivery FTW by the way :D

I don't agree, Clareman. It's not a about bulk or small items, it's about the chatting, as mentioned above.

I hardly ever shop at Dunnes anymore, unless outside the grocery department. My usual twice monthly shopping trip to Ennis (I live in East Clare) is: Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, if neccessary some small shops in the town centre or if I forgot something at the Roslevan shop.

Apart from having a shopping list what I need and trying to get trough with, I'm always annoyed about the Tesco check-outs: They are alway chatting away with someone they know, and they are chatting and chatting ...

I do appreciate the personal approach, but there is a line between being personal and being efficient.

In Aldi/Lidl they make occasional personal remarks to the customers while scanning away the purchase. That's professional and nice. At Tesco they ignore other customers and treat them as if they were a nuisance.

Maybe it's a thing of management, maybe of payment. I've heard that at the German chains they pay very well and train very well.

Supervalu at Killaloe is a great shop while visiting the sunday market. It's a day out to visit the colourful market and stocking up with other stuff you think you need anyway, having lunch at some of the lovely cafés and driving home with the delightful feeling you bought stuff you don't actually need, but was a great experience to buy.

Now I imagine there is an Aldi at Killaloe. Instead of driving to Ennis I'd go to Killaloe to stock up with my stuff, going afterwards to Supervalu instead to Tesco to find the rest.

Now who is winning?

It's not always about competition, sometimes it's about addition and a win-win-situiation.

It's about time retailers start to think beyond their monopoly, which doesn't work in small towns anymore considering that people prefer to go for their sensible shopping elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm always annoyed about the Tesco check-outs: They are alway chatting away with someone they know, and they are chatting and chatting ...

For me, this is the one of the few reasons to shop in Tesco Ennis :D The shop itself is horrible and the product range is very limited when compared to other Tesco stores. I've been going into the store since I was a young child and many of the staff are still there. The staff are by far their greatest asset, I love the genuine friendliness that exists there. The staff chat to the customers because unlike many other stores they know their customers for the last 20 or 30 years.

Supervalu at Killaloe is a great shop while visiting the sunday market. It's a day out to visit the colourful market and stocking up with other stuff you think you need anyway, having lunch at some of the lovely cafés and driving home with the delightful feeling you bought stuff you don't actually need, but was a great experience to buy.

Now this is something we can agree on :) I like Queally's Supervalu, especially their new artisan range of local and Irish produce. I'm also a frequent visitor to the Farmers Market in Killaloe and it's a lovely experience. Sundays aren't complete without a visit to the Derg House café which is run by a delightful French couple, their pastries are simply to die for.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Now this is something we can agree on :) I like Queally's Supervalu, especially their new artisan range of local and Irish produce. I'm also a frequent visitor to the Farmers Market in Killaloe and it's a lovely experience. Sundays aren't complete without a visit to the Derg House café which is run by a delightful French couple, their pastries are simply to die for.

Indeed :) Have to check out the new artisan range now. And the French Café ... Their divine croissants though are usually sold out when I peel myself out of bed on a sunday.
    But you see, tomorrow I have to go to Aldi in Ennis, because they have that special offer of skincare which is absolutely wonderful and a steal. It's gone in no time so I have to go on sunday.
    Now if Aldi had a branch in Killaloe I would go there instead and buy stuff in Supervalu, too. And go to the market, and to the French Café, or the Italian one round the corner.
    I think the businesses in Killaloe would profit from Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GreaseGunner

A group objecting to the Aldi build are now claiming part of the site was used as a childrens graveyard. Makes for interesting reading on the Clare Champion site.

On first impressions it seems that they're very much grasping at straws at this stage. If it genuinely was previously used as a burial site, why wasn't the County Council made aware of this at the first mention of Aldi moving in?

At worst, I'm sure they could work around it, make amendments to building plans etc.

A group objecting to the Aldi build are now claiming part of the site was used as a childrens graveyard. Makes for interesting reading on the Clare Champion site.

On first impressions it seems that they're very much grasping at straws at this stage. If it genuinely was previously used as a burial site, why wasn't the County Council made aware of this at the first mention of Aldi moving in?

At worst, I'm sure they could work around it, make amendments to building plans etc.

Ah, we are back in Ennistymon now, was still mentally in Killaloe.

I'm not familiar with the site, but as far as I understand there is the mart already standing and nobody bothered about the "unbaptised babies" before.

Now they dug up a woman who used to live around the place who once had arranged for a priest to bless a part of the fair green where children were believed to be buried.
    Lots of subjunctives, or more plain speaking, lots of mays, believeds and supposeds.

Now, I won't get deeper into the hypocrisy of it all (the church not baptising babies and then allegedly blessing the place of their shame) and not into the obvious agenda of that commitee mentioned in the Clare Champion (grasping at straws, as you said) ...
    ... but why oh why do so-called close-knit communities (or culchie-villages - sorry) object to anything which eventually might benefit them?

Nobody cared about the cillíns if it suited them. Ireland is scattered with them.
    I think it's shameful and disrespectful to use them for a seemingly selfish and small-minded agenda.

I don't even go into their other arguments quoted in that article. Otherwise I get dizzy shaking my head ....

Religious orders in this country have an appalling record when it comes to these matters so I'd be more inclined to give the objectors the benefit of the doubt.

I was in Tesco today and the lady on the till told me I could avail of a €10 off voucher on a €50 shop and dashed off to find me the correct newspaper, as a queue of 5 people materialised and got increasingly restless, so maybe I was underrating the personal touch. Just need to genetically modify the child so he stays 10 months old forever cos I'm getting quite accustomed to this level of service in shops.

• Advertisement

I was in Tesco today and the lady on the till told me I could avail of a €10 off voucher on a €50 shop and dashed off to find me the correct newspaper, as a queue of 5 people materialised and got increasingly restless, so maybe I was underrating the personal touch.

The newspaper vouchers!

And personal service!

Now you are mentioning them, I've been at Aldi recently and they told me at the checkout that I get a voucher when buying the Independent.

As a service they had stacks of the Independent at the checkout, the checkout-girl (yes, it was a girl) cut out the voucher for me (and other customers) and I happily threw away the cut-up rag afterwards and got the discount.

Without the checkout-girl running around, anyone waiting or missing out at the discount. There :P
    Religious orders in this country have an appalling record when it comes to these matters so I'd be more inclined to give the objectors the benefit of the doubt.

Agreed if it is genuine, but not if it's used for an agenda.

Advertisement