Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi gets build approval in Ennistymon

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I've added a poll to this thread, will be interesting to see the results. Note that this poll is anonymous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

It looks like CCC have given planning permission for the new Aldi store in Killaloe.

http://www.clare.fm/news/council-gives-killaloe-aldi-green-light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

It looks like CCC have given planning permission for the new Aldi store in Killaloe.

http://www.clare.fm/news/council-gives-killaloe-aldi-green-light

An absolute disgrace. Shame on Clare CC. Do we ever learn in this country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Clare County Council granted Aldi planning permission for a store in Killaloe in August 2015. An Bord Pleanála have now overruled that decision.

'An Bord Pleanála stated that the proposal would seriously injure the visual amenity and character of the streetscape on the southern approach to Killaloe'.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aldi-suffers-blow-as-rural-store-plan-knocked-back-34455372.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Good on them. Killaloe/Ballina already has quite a bit of grocery retail space, considering its size; an Aldi would likely have put half the local shops out of business. The traffic would have been an issue as well; the bridge couldn't cope with an increased amount of traffic from the Tipp side. Plus it really would have ruined the character of that part of town. The SuperValu near there does a reasonable job of blending in, at least.

Maybe Aldi should wait for the bypass to be constructed (if that ever happens) and build somewhere alongside it. At least then the extra traffic wouldn't be an issue, and they'd likely get more business from outside of town in that location anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Red Clover

Kilrush have Tesco, Aldi and Supervalu. Given the size of the town (relatively large but not massive in fairness) those are three pretty big operators to have all in one place. They've had no detrimental effects as of yet, I've heard all 3 are seeing a decent amount of shoppers.

It'll be interesting to see what Aldi does to Ennistymon. I'm welcoming it 100%.

You obviously haven't seen the six grocery shops which been boarded up in Kilrush since Tesco came to town. Look at Henry Street, is there two shops left in the whole street? Look at the towns and villages around. Kilkee has lost two grocery shops, a butcher and a draper. Villages like Kilbaha, Carrigaholt, Cooraclare etc. have been 'hollowed out' and that leads inevitably to closure of banks, post offices etc. What now for job creation with zero hour contracts from the international chains?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Red Clover

Aldi and Lidl do a lot of smart things to cut costs that don't involve screwing over the suppliers or customers. I wish Tesco, Dunnes and Supervalu were a bit less sluggish when it comes to trying to beat the German chains at their own game. Smaller shops, faster tills, less reliance on brands and freezers etc.

You may be right about the efficiency of the German retailers. It goes without saying that businesses from Germany have to be efficient. However there are downsides. For instance, I am told that these German companies have very good fruit and vegetables. Being in the EU, fruit and vegetables which are irradiated (treated with radio-active waves to prevent rotting) can be exported to other parts of the EU without a licence. The Food Safety Authority and The Radiological Protection Institute have not licensed any food company, in Ireland,to irradiate their products but plenty of German companies have German licences. Maybe some people don't mind. For instance I hear of people buying cheap chicken breasts, even when they know (or should know) how they are 'manufactured' in Holland. No accounting for taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Red Clover wrote: »
    You obviously haven't seen the six grocery shops which been boarded up in Kilrush since Tesco came to town. Look at Henry Street, is there two shops left in the whole street? Look at the towns and villages around. Kilkee has lost two grocery shops, a butcher and a draper. Villages like Kilbaha, Carrigaholt, Cooraclare etc. have been 'hollowed out' and that leads inevitably to closure of banks, post offices etc. What now for job creation with zero hour contracts from the international chains?

The writing was on the wall for all these business years ago, they had a captive audience fro many years and milked it for all its worth. When the multiples came, people and been shopping in Ennis for a few years already. I remember shopping in Kilkee during the eighties and nineties a major percentage of my wages went on shopping. The shops did not care then and it was too late for them to maintain customers when Super Valu, then Tesco and Aldi came, people voted with their pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

mrsoundie wrote: »
    The writing was on the wall for all these business years ago, they had a captive audience fro many years and milked it for all its worth. When the multiples came, people and been shopping in Ennis for a few years already. I remember shopping in Kilkee during the eighties and nineties a major percentage of my wages went on shopping. The shops did not care then and it was too late for them to maintain customers when Super Valu, then Tesco and Aldi came, people voted with their pockets.

Untrue. The prices don't differ that much. It is there deep marketing budgets and economies of scale that drive other businesses to the wall. When there is no competition left then they raise their prices. Look at France and the UK to see the devastation these supermarkets have caused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

We're already seeing Tesco trying to sell off their large out of town superstores. The era of the big box retailer is probably coming to a close and we'll see everything move online over the next decade. Same thing for retail in general. You'll have your distribution centre in each town stock whatever you want and click your items then get them the same day. That's my thinking anyway. Maybe you could get your locally grown non-irradiated vegetables, bakery bread and other independent products there too.

I'm thinking the main hurdle is lots of people aren't home to receive their deliveries during work hours. Maybe we'll all have a parcel motel type locker in our front gardens.. you'd need a refrigerated section though! This is all starting to sound like The Jetsons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I know I'm bumping an old thread here, but work has started on the mart site. A neighbour told me they are currently taking down the mart gates and pens, Aldi are hoping to open in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭squonk

Yup I saw the work being carried out when I was back at the weekend. That's a fast turnaround as well. It's great to see it getting going finally and we won't feel it til November. It could be an awkward location given the traffic volume but I suppose all that has been factored in as well.

squonk wrote: »
    It's great to see it getting going finally and we won't feel it til November.

My thoughts exactly :)

As for traffic, it will be interesting to see what happens. Conway's corner/Parliament street aren't really suited to a high flow of traffic, nor is church hill. That leaves the road up by the garda barracks, which is marginally better I suppose?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm told it's opening today. Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm told it's opening today. Interesting times ahead.

I popped in there today, about 3.30 in the afternoon. Very busy, busier than I expected. The store is also very nice as well - nicer than the one in Ennis anyway.

I turned up past the garda station and then when coming out, went down parliament st. I don't know what this road is like mid week, but today there were cars parked both sides and was very narrow for two cars passing, so I can imagine during the week if Aldi means more traffic on it, it could be a bit of a headache.

Seems like they've made the most of the limited space they had to work with. I've yet to call in but reports from family say it's a lovely spot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Shop itself is good. Clean and everything you'd expect from Aldi. The car parking isn't so good though.

The number of spaces available and the ability of customers to use them are both less than ideal.

Called in during the week and was well impressed. Very clean and well organised.

As mentioned the parking situation is less than ideal. Luckily I was in on a quiet evening but I'd imagine it's absolutely hectic when the shop is busy.

Hope it goes well for them.

Advertisement