Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Airport

Options
  • 21-07-2015 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I just want to start a fresh new thread about the airport because there are already threads based on the airport that are too old and it would be good to have a wee chat about it.

So anyways, the reason why I want to talk about the airport is because I find it should be a benefit again in regards to travel. I mean, I know nowadays, we take the train, get a taxi, bus or use our cars for transport but then, people might want to take a plane to Dublin because it's way quicker then waiting 3 hours or more to actually get there! Or local people just don't wanna go down to knock airport.

I found it really depressing that the airport just closed their flight services in 2011 and not to mention that the government didn't fund the runway enough to make it more bigger! Like Sligo is depressing to be honest with shops closing, no jobs for young people and pretty much doesn't have much tourism in my opinion. I would love to use sligo airports service if it ever opened again and see more people coming into sligo to boost up the town a bit including rural areas! It would just be handy to use if im ever going on holiday!

What do ye guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Unfortunately though, when the government was subsiding every flight to and from Dublin, was it worth it or could it afford to be kept open once they stopped.

Prehaps if the Manchester flight was a more regular thing, or if there was one or two more to the UK, it might have had a better chance, but with Knock only down the road, it could never have competed for them routes. The only additional route that may have helped would have a once or twice a week to Cork or Waterford.

Although by the time you get out to the airport, check in, fly to dublin, get out of the Airport, get into the City, you are nearly there in your car or bus, and not far behind on the train, and for not alot of difference in price. It was only great if you were flying on some where else from dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

It's hard to justify Sligo airport when there is a decent airport 45 minutes away that seems to be growing. One airport in the region is enough given the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

Gosh yes , I remember when aer arran used to operate to Dublin From Sligo , It was brilliant! , Such a pity the airport is closed now :( , If it did re-open though... what airline is available since aer arran were taken over by aer lingus regional?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

jamie124 wrote: »
    Gosh yes , I remember when aer arran used to operate to Dublin From Sligo , It was brilliant! , Such a pity the airport is closed now :( , If it did re-open though... what airline is available since aer arran were taken over by aer lingus regional?

You're right there on who will take it. Hopefully some airline that would have the money to get it up again! It's just too bad that the boom is still ongoing :(

Advertisement