Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best or nicest cinema in Dublin?

Options
  • 21-07-2015 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Close to city centre as possible.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How do you define a 'nice' cinema?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Screen 1 in the savoy is nice, after that I go to dundrum.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The Lighthouse without a shadow of a doubt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

John Mason wrote: »
    The Lighthouse without a show of a doubt.

Seconding The Lighthouse, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Lighthouse, Savoy, Odeon at the Point.

Avoid Cineworld, dirty kip with smelly carpets, now air conditioning and scratchy little seats with no leg room.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Lighthouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

For something a bit different, try the Sugar Club.
    They run some cool themed nights every now and again. Mostly music related movies and documentaries, but I think they're about to do a tarantino season.

Great seats and DJ's before and after the screening. They play music inspired by the movie etc. People dancing in the ailes.

The only thing I don't like is the selection at the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

ODEON in the Point Village

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

The Swan in Rathmines still has that new feeling. Nice size too.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Cineworld off Parnell Street is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

For something a bit different, try the Sugar Club.
    They run some cool themed nights every now and again. Mostly music related movies and documentaries, but I think they're about to do a tarantino season.

Great seats and DJ's before and after the screening. They play music inspired by the movie etc. People dancing in the ailes.

The only thing I don't like is the selection at the bar.

Have they improved the projection in there.

Last time I went to a screening it looked like they were playing it off a DVD.

It was fun but terrible quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Have they improved the projection in there.

Last time I went to a screening it looked like they were playing it off a DVD.

It was fun but terrible quality.

You're right, picture quality is not great.
    But sound quality was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

The upstairs screen in the IFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The Swan in Rathmines still has that new feeling. Nice size too.

Cantilevered seats, and loads of legroom. Has my vote.

Only downside is it's too comfy. I have dozed off. Nachos are a bit crappy cheapy and they'd run out of jalapeños the last couple of times I was in, but hey, you can't have everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Lighthouse is the nicest cinema for sure. If you go often though hard to beat Cineworld for value saves me a fortune. Just don't have the popcorn the salt levels are just insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

The Lighthouse, and not just because it shows world cinema films which are different from the norm and thus I remember for longer (the last one being about French monks in Algeria during the 1950s war).

After that I still love the IFI, again for the sort of films it shows. It's not as new and fresh as The Lighthouse, but it has a broader menu of food and drinks so you can meet and spend the entire day there chatting (it's a bit noisier too).

Never knew The Sugar Club had films. Saw the exquisite Camille there in 2005 and the seats were the most comfortable seats ever. They also had Murphy's stout on tap, which is a rarity in Dublin. It really is a great venue for mellow, chilled-out chanson-type music.

What's the new UCD cinema like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Odeon in the Point Village gets my vote because it's usually empty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

lighthouse, screen 1 & 2 in savoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Odeon Cinema at the point is lovely and its big screen the Isense is very good too. Its very good value if you go at the right time as well. Screens 1 and 2 in the Savoy are good have an old style feel to them. The sound could be better do. Cineworld is ok but not as good as it used to be and prices there have gone up so its not even cheap to go there anymore. The I Max is awesome do but very expensive to go to.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

People need to cinema more judging by this thread. It's lighthouse for experience cineworld for value. If anyone has better than €21 a month for unlimited films I would love to hear. Only thing with lighthouse is its obviously not for mainstream films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

jimmii wrote: »
    People need to cinema more judging by this thread. It's lighthouse for experience cineworld for value. If anyone has better than €21 a month for unlimited films I would love to hear. Only thing with lighthouse is its obviously not for mainstream films.

Ok, as the op, i can tell u that the lighthouse isn't ur average cinema, but also doesn't show your average movie. . A very important point,.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

P_Cash wrote: »
    Ok, as the op, i can tell u that the lighthouse isn't ur average cinema, but also doesn't show your average movie. . A very important point,.

And doesn't have your average popcorn chomping, text making, phone answering public.

P_Cash wrote: »

Yeh absolutely if you plan on going down there to watch terminator you're going to be pretty disappointed! I have a cineworld card that I use the majority of the time but that and imax is all cineworld really has going for it if something is special is on at Lighthouse it's a much nicer experience going there for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Cineworld on Parnell Street is my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I saw Man of Steel in The Lighthouse, so it has been known to show "that type" of film

Advertisement