Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eflow Dispute

• 21-07-2015 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭

I have a very stressful issue with Eflow regarding a suspended account. I realise that Eflow pops up here from time to time with people getting lambasted for forgetting or avoiding paying tolls and get told to suck it up and pay the fines, however I believe my situation is more unique and I feel very hard done by.

Basically I have had a direct debit account with Eflow for years, because of the way their direct debit schedule works I have often been caught out with not having the funds in my account and the account being suspended. I would usually find out by letter and then call them and reactivate it and get any journeys moved back to the account and paid by card there and then or on the next Direct Debit run. I have always asked them if there was anyway they could take the direct debit earlier in the month rather than towards the end because I get paid at the beginning of each month. They have already told me that they cannot facilitate this and that it will be removed anytime after the 12th of each month.

This happened again in May (due to it being a 5 week month!) and because I had moved address I did not receive the penalty letter until later and when I called they said I owed them over €700 and had to pay the charges before I could reactivate my account. I disputed this as I believe it is a regulation of SEPA direct debits that I be informed of a Direct Debit date so that I can ensure I have sufficient funds in my account. they insisted that I pay the penalties and I refused and advised them that I wanted to pay for the tolls only and paid them over €100 over the phone to do this and they advised that there was still the penalty balance and the account would remain closed.

I have since been diligently paying my tolls when I have used the M50 but discovered at the weekend that they were taking my toll payments off the penalties and starting new penalty charges for the journeys I had intended paying for (despite the fact that I selected paying for Journeys on the website) and now I owe their solicitors over €800 and there are over €500 more of penalties with Eflow that will soon be multiplied and also passed to their solicitors.

I am looking for advice here regarding the legality of what they are doing and in particular the legality of not informing me on a monthly basis of what amount is to be removed from my account and on what specific day. I think I was emailed statements but never the day the direct debit would be removed except that it would be between the 12th and the end of each month. Does this conflict with SEPA direct debit activator obligations?

Please do not come on here to tell I should have just paid this or that or informed them of my address change. I am looking for some advice that will help me with this situation not what would have helped me weeks ago.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd start by checking the sepa direct debit rules. If it's fairly clear the nra have not obeyed these rules, look at getting a charge back procedure with your bank, and ask the ipso to kick the nra out of the direct debit scheme as the sepa rules claim ( the ipso won't do this though)

Then I'd check how you are paying for existing trips? Is it with payzone? I'd check any advertising the nra / payzone have to see if they can take payments for tolls and use them for penalties.

I'd consider transferring ownership of your car to the "jiltloop" who lives at the new address, which should stop the clock on any new payments going to the nra lawyers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jiltloop wrote: »
    I have a very stressful issue with Eflow regarding a suspended account. I realise that Eflow pops up here from time to time with people getting lambasted for forgetting or avoiding paying tolls and get told to suck it up and pay the fines, however I believe my situation is more unique and I feel very hard done by.

Basically I have had a direct debit account with Eflow for years, because of the way their direct debit schedule works I have often been caught out with not having the funds in my account and the account being suspended. I would usually find out by letter and then call them and reactivate it and get any journeys moved back to the account and paid by card there and then or on the next Direct Debit run. I have always asked them if there was anyway they could take the direct debit earlier in the month rather than towards the end because I get paid at the beginning of each month. They have already told me that they cannot facilitate this and that it will be removed anytime after the 12th of each month.

This happened again in May (due to it being a 5 week month!) and because I had moved address I did not receive the penalty letter until later and when I called they said I owed them over €700 and had to pay the charges before I could reactivate my account. I disputed this as I believe it is a regulation of SEPA direct debits that I be informed of a Direct Debit date so that I can ensure I have sufficient funds in my account. they insisted that I pay the penalties and I refused and advised them that I wanted to pay for the tolls only and paid them over €100 over the phone to do this and they advised that there was still the penalty balance and the account would remain closed.

I have since been diligently paying my tolls when I have used the M50 but discovered at the weekend that they were taking my toll payments off the penalties and starting new penalty charges for the journeys I had intended paying for (despite the fact that I selected paying for Journeys on the website) and now I owe their solicitors over €800 and there are over €500 more of penalties with Eflow that will soon be multiplied and also passed to their solicitors.

I am looking for advice here regarding the legality of what they are doing and in particular the legality of not informing me on a monthly basis of what amount is to be removed from my account and on what specific day. I think I was emailed statements but never the day the direct debit would be removed except that it would be between the 12th and the end of each month. Does this conflict with SEPA direct debit activator obligations?

Please do not come on here to tell I should have just paid this or that or informed them of my address change. I am looking for some advice that will help me with this situation not what would have helped me weeks ago.

Thanks in advance.
    You can't get legal advice on here, my advice would be to contact eflow and ask to speak to a member of the escalations team who will work with you to try to resolve this.

Then I'd check how you are paying for existing trips? Is it with payzone? I'd check any advertising the nra / payzone have to see if they can take payments for tolls and use them for penalties.

It's listed as what they do at the top of the unpaid toll notice they send out.

Says: "Please note: payments recieved may be used to close any outstanding balances for any previous journeys which remain unpaid"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Stheno wrote: »
    You can't get legal advice on here, my advice would be to contact eflow and ask to speak to a member of the escalations team who will work with you to try to resolve this.

Says: "Please note: payments recieved may be used to close any outstanding balances for any previous journeys which remain unpaid"

Well even if legal advice cannot be given can anyone advise me if my interpretation of Direct Debit regulations is correct?

I understand that they may have that disclaimer regarding payments but how enforceable is that? It's clearly crazy, I mean if they can get away with that they can pretty much impose infinite penalties on any individual who is disputing any previous journey and apply ludicrous escalation penalties with no limits. I do not think this is enforceable as I have receipts from Eflow which state that I have paid say €6.20 for journeys and €0.00 on penalties. Surely they can't send out a receipt such as this and then send a letter a few days later saying I did not pay for the journey?

In any case they will only put me through to their solicitors department and they are obviously looking to squeeze as much money out of me as possible, the escalations team will not deal with it anymore.

I'd start by checking the sepa direct debit rules. If it's fairly clear the nra have not obeyed these rules, look at getting a charge back procedure with your bank, and ask the ipso to kick the nra out of the direct debit scheme as the sepa rules claim ( the ipso won't do this though)

I'd consider transferring ownership of your car to the "jiltloop" who lives at the new address, which should stop the clock on any new payments going to the nra lawyers.

Thank you for the advice, I think I will need to stop using my car on the M50, crazy that it has to come to that but I think it's my only option to prevent any further penalties.

I have checked the Direct Debit payment rules and they do need to give notice of the direct debit payment regarding when it is to be paid and how much it will be but I can't see any specification regarding how exact the 'when' has to be. I would think it should be an exact date and that sometime between the 12th and the 31st of a month would be far too vague but it's hard to know. I know from my own job where I organise Direct Debit payments for customers that we send a letter before every direct debit deduction advising of the exact date and amount of the payment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well even if legal advice cannot be given can anyone advise me if my interpretation of Direct Debit regulations is correct?

I understand that they may have that disclaimer regarding payments but how enforceable is that? It's clearly crazy, I mean if they can get away with that they can pretty much impose infinite penalties on any individual who is disputing any previous journey and apply ludicrous escalation penalties with no limits. I do not think this is enforceable as I have receipts from Eflow which state that I have paid say €6.20 for journeys and €0.00 on penalties. Surely they can't send out a receipt such as this and then send a letter a few days later saying I did not pay for the journey?

In any case they will only put me through to their solicitors department and they are obviously looking to squeeze as much money out of me as possible, the escalations team will not deal with it anymore.

I ended up with a bill ten times higher than yours with eflow and successfully resolved it through the escalations team, just try it.

Sounds to me like you've been ignoring them tbh

I'm fairly certain my vodafone bill tells me they will take payment on or after x date also

They can send you a penalty notice saying they will apply what you pay to previous penalties and use that receipt to apply it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

If you are asking For legal advice you need to contact their solicitors and they will give you the advice .nobody here can do that

As for the direct debit , sepa dd doesn't need to specify a date but rather an advance notice period before an attempt eg 7 days

All Eflow will do had this point is give you a settlement offer before a claims notice is issued against you id imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Don't E-flow give you the option in how to receive a monthly statement, either by post (for an extra fee) or electronically (email and online) at no cost? If one selected the electronic option then would the availability of the statement being online satisfy the SDD notification rules even if the email wasn't received?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Don't E-flow give you the option in how to receive a monthly statement, either by post (for an extra fee) or electronically (email and online) at no cost? If one selected the electronic option then would the availability of the statement being online satisfy the SDD notification rules even if the email wasn't received?

I'd imagine so, I get a monthly email that my statement is available and payment comes out around the 12th

I get the email a good 10 days ahead of it coming out, so I can't imagine they are in breach

Same as vodafone, they emailed and texted today about my bill which is due out towards the end of the month sometime

Both are pretty consistent presenting bills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I would certainly challange the huge bills and try find a solution but take a bit of ownership here...its not all on them. Anyway they are usually pretty helpful if you call them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

You can pay your eFlow bill manually on the website on the last day of the month before the billing run hits if you want to avoid the direct debit for the following month.

Did the DD request come through before the 12th OP? I had that happen in early 2014 with eFlow and successfully disputed it but if they presented after the 12th when the bill states 'on or after the 12th' and you didn't have funds available I don't see how that's their fault. The reason I was able to challenge was that a) the DD presented before the date on the bill and b) sufficient notification wasn't given either.

• Advertisement

My issue is that saying a direct debit will come out some time after the 12th but before the end of the month is not sufficient notice. EPC documents states the below;

The Pre-notification must be sent by the Creditor at the latest 14 Calendar Days before the Due Date unless another time-line is agreed between the Debtor and the Creditor.

Prior to the sending of the Collection to the Creditor Bank, the Creditor notifies the Debtor of the amount and due date. This notification may be sent together with or as part of other commercial documents (e.g. an invoice) or separately.

Those 2 mentions of it in the document state that pre-notification must be given notifying the amount and due date. Eflow clearly never give a due date. Surely this does not comply?

I have no problem taking responsibility but I have a huge issue with the way Eflow are dealing with this situation. They have clearly put a system into place that is designed to trap people into an impossible situation whereby they are bullied or coerced into paying a huge amount of money for something that was originally €2.10. This is a disgraceful system of extortion that no other company could get away with.

At the end of the day my account lapsed by one month and they have suddenly amounted roughly €1500 (and rising) of penalties. the original balance which lapsed was €60! How can anyone defend this kind of system? If any other company or institution imposed these kinds of penalties they would not get away it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's possible they are in breach of SEPA regulations. You are required to give notification, unless the debtor has agreed otherwise (which you may well have in a T&Cs somehwere).

However, and this is important, breaching SEPA regulations has nothing to do with the validity of the debt. If they have breached the regulations, you're entitled to perform a debit reversal. But you still owe them the money. Nothing in the regulations changes that

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

You should be looking at ipso and not epc

Their FAQ's States & it's seems your issue is with the NRA fixed penalties rather than the sepa (it's a lot of money) and not having your correspondence address up to date

Frequently Asked Questions –SEPA Direct Debits (SDD)

The Irish Payment Services Organisation's (IPSO)

Will the SDD always be debited on the same date?

In many cases, if agreed with the Creditor, the SDD can be applied on a regular date otherwise it will be debited as per the advance notice.

What if I need to change my bank account details?
    If you wish to change the bank details you should inform the Creditor within a reasonable timeframe and contact your bank to cancel the existing instruction.

If you are switching your account your bank must organize the switching a

28064212 wrote: »
    It's possible they are in breach of SEPA regulations. You are required to give notification, unless the debtor has agreed otherwise (which you may well have in a T&Cs somehwere).

However, and this is important, breaching SEPA regulations has nothing to do with the validity of the debt. If they have breached the regulations, you're entitled to perform a debit reversal. But you still owe them the money. Nothing in the regulations changes that

That's thing though, I have never questioned the validity of the debt, in fact I made a point of paying it, it's the penalties imposed after I had insufficient funds that I am disputing. As soon as I realized it had not gone through I phoned to pay the amount. they refused to waive the penalties and I insisted on them telling me what the toll amount outstanding was without penalties and I paid that there and then over the phone.

wally1990 wrote: »
    You should be looking at ipso and not epc

Their FAQ's States & it's seems your issue is with the NRA fixed penalties rather than the sepa (it's a lot of money) and not having your correspondence address up to date

Frequently Asked Questions –SEPA Direct Debits (SDD)

The Irish Payment Services Organisation's (IPSO)

Will the SDD always be debited on the same date?

In many cases, if agreed with the Creditor, the SDD can be applied on a regular date otherwise it will be debited as per the advance notice.

What if I need to change my bank account details?
    If you wish to change the bank details you should inform the Creditor within a reasonable timeframe and contact your bank to cancel the existing instruction.

If you are switching your account your bank must organize the switching a

I have tried to find more info with IPSO regarding details around advance notice and a Creditors obligations regarding pre-notification of a specific date but I can't seem to find them. That's why I checked it out in the EPO document and got the above excerpts. Is it possible to query it with the IPSO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Interesting - I read that as it may be used against previous journey charges, not penalties.

That's thing though, I have never questioned the validity of the debt
    The debt includes the penalties.
    As soon as I realized it had not gone through I phoned to pay the amount. they refused to waive the penalties
    Why would they? Do you realise their bank charges them penalties when a direct debit is returned unpaid?

It doesn't sound like you have a leg to stand on tbh.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

The debt includes the penalties.

Why would they? Do you realise their bank charges them penalties when a direct debit is returned unpaid?

It doesn't sound like you have a leg to stand on tbh.

Their bank would charge penalties of what? €12.40 or so? Hardly a justification to charge me over a thousand euro is it? The fact of the matter is that my direct debit failed, it was direct debit that I did not receive a correct pre-notification for. That is where my dispute lies, any ridiculous charges or debts they have applied after the fact are a product of their failure to comply with Direct Debit regulations. That's the basis of my argument.

Their bank would charge penalties of what? €12.40 or so? Hardly a justification to charge me over a thousand euro is it?
    You had one direct debit returned and they instantly fined you a thousand euro? Is that what you're claiming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You had one direct debit returned and they instantly fined you a thousand euro? Is that what you're claiming?

actually he says he has had DDs returned multiple times for them over the years as he hasnt got money in the ac when they arrive. Very fortunate this seems to be teh only time they are actually chasing him...they must have absorbed the charges all the other times!

I think its time the OP cancelled account and paid cash in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Their bank would charge penalties of what? €12.40 or so? Hardly a justification to charge me over a thousand euro is it? The fact of the matter is that my direct debit failed, it was direct debit that I did not receive a correct pre-notification for. That is where my dispute lies, any ridiculous charges or debts they have applied after the fact are a product of their failure to comply with Direct Debit regulations. That's the basis of my argument.
    I think you'd be better off engaging with them/their solicitor with the view to resolving the matter instead of working yourself up in a fruitless attempt to find loopholes. Read the T&Cs of your agreement with eFlow & you'll find they followed procedure. You were informed that the money would be debited on or after the 12th - it was up to you to ensure that you had the funds in your bank account to meet what you owed.

The only legitimate reason for you to complain is if they submitted the direct debit before the 12th. Most originators automatically call for payment by representing the direct debit 3 to 5 days after a failed attempt, so it looks as if you'll have to take your head out of the sand.

This is not a legal or banking problem - it's a budgeting/money managing problem. It's certainly not eFlow's problem & it's unlikely to be resolved by looking for technical loopholes, so do yourself a favour & engage with them with the view to reducing the present debt. The very least you should do is make sure you pay the original amount(s) owed & then start haggling about the extra fees & charges.

Going forward just open a separate bank account purely for direct debits. Lodge what you think you may owe whenever you get paid & when you get to view your invoice lodge the rest. Creditors aren't interested in how you can or can't manage your money - that's your responsibility.

Apologies if the above comes across as harsh, but sometimes the truth hurts.

Why don't you have another little read over my first post instead of trying to be smart. I'm looking for advice not condescension, you have no personal investment in this matter so if you're all out of advice then I can do without any more of your posts thanks.

That's thing though, I have never questioned the validity of the debt, in fact I made a point of paying it, it's the penalties imposed after I had insufficient funds that I am disputing. As soon as I realized it had not gone through I phoned to pay the amount. they refused to waive the penalties and I insisted on them telling me what the toll amount outstanding was without penalties and I paid that there and then over the phone.

The problem is you didn't realise it wasn't paid before penalties accrued. I recently had my account suspended as I changed debit card, rang within two weeks to resolve it, and had two journeys that occured within that time added to the account penalty free, so I'm wondering how long it took you to contact them?

Not sure you've much to stand on here. You were told the direct debit would be in the period between the 12th and the end of the month. You didn't honor it, and eflow do represent in my experience, so it failed a couple of times. The account gets suspended, you keep using the tolls and build up a fair whack of penalties, which btw are set by the NRA and not eflow

If it was a case of the direct debit failed and within a couple of days you were hit with penalties I'd think differently, but certainly based on my experience as above where it took me a couple of weeks to ring with new card details, and not incurring penalties, I'd wonder how long you let this situation go on.

Have you contacted the escalations team yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shadow22

how did this work out for you? i had 3 journeys i forgot to pay because of extreme circumstances , i had other more important issues to deal with and ignored the letters. now they want 600euro off me (journeys were back in august) i dont have the means to pay such a bill. they offered me a settlement figure of 150 off 300euro back a month ago but couldnt pay explained why and i was told to call back before a certain date. financial difficulties are really stopping me from paying.
    i spoke to them today and are starting legal proceedings to claim a fee of 600euro. i explained that at this time i couldnt pay and they didnt care (eflows solicitors)
    im genuinely worried and scared and feel at this point been bullied by this company all for driving on a road.
    any advice you can give or anyone would be much appreciated.

Shadow22 wrote: »
    how did this work out for you? i had 3 journeys i forgot to pay because of extreme circumstances , i had other more important issues to deal with and ignored the letters. now they want 600euro off me (journeys were back in august) i dont have the means to pay such a bill. they offered me a settlement figure of 150 off 300euro back a month ago but couldnt pay explained why and i was told to call back before a certain date. financial difficulties are really stopping me from paying.
    i spoke to them today and are starting legal proceedings to claim a fee of 600euro. i explained that at this time i couldnt pay and they didnt care (eflows solicitors)
    im genuinely worried and scared and feel at this point been bullied by this company all for driving on a road.
    Have you rung and asked to speak to the escalations team?

Have you rung and asked to speak to the escalations team?

i spoke to somebody with peirse fitzgibbon solicitors and were not helpful at all. i explained i only work part time and that that amount is well beyond my reach. especially at this time of year and they replied with we have been instructed to commence proceedings in court and i should seek legal advice. really stressed out now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Shadow22 wrote:
    how did this work out for you? i had 3 journeys i forgot to pay because of extreme circumstances , i had other more important issues to deal with and ignored the letters. now they want 600euro off me (journeys were back in august) i dont have the means to pay such a bill. they offered me a settlement figure of 150 off 300euro back a month ago but couldnt pay explained why and i was told to call back before a certain date. financial difficulties are really stopping me from paying. i spoke to them today and are starting legal proceedings to claim a fee of 600euro. i explained that at this time i couldnt pay and they didnt care (eflows solicitors) im genuinely worried and scared and feel at this point been bullied by this company all for driving on a road. any advice you can give or anyone would be much appreciated.

Shadow22 wrote:
    how did this work out for you? i had 3 journeys i forgot to pay because of extreme circumstances , i had other more important issues to deal with and ignored the letters. now they want 600euro off me (journeys were back in august) i dont have the means to pay such a bill. they offered me a settlement figure of 150 off 300euro back a month ago but couldnt pay explained why and i was told to call back before a certain date. financial difficulties are really stopping me from paying. i spoke to them today and are starting legal proceedings to claim a fee of 600euro. i explained that at this time i couldnt pay and they didnt care (eflows solicitors) im genuinely worried and scared and feel at this point been bullied by this company all for driving on a road. any advice you can give or anyone would be much appreciated.

I just don't get how this can happen. I understand forgetting the first time but then you get the notice in the door telling you that you forgot said payment and you just pay the journey and the small fine.

Paying this also takes less than 5 minutes so I don't know how it's such a big issue for some people.

I just don't get how this can happen. I understand forgetting the first time but then you get the notice in the door telling you that you forgot said payment and you just pay the journey and the small fine.

Paying this also takes less than 5 minutes so I don't know how it's such a big issue for some people.

i was away when the letters came and family emergencies took it away from my mind so thats how it escalated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

i was away when the letters came and family emergencies took it away from my mind so thats how it escalated

When did you make the journey's in question?

• Advertisement

When did you make the journey's in question?

back in august around the middle. (dont have letters to hand )

back in august around the middle. (dont have letters to hand )

4 months. A long time in fairness.

4 months. A long time in fairness.

it is but time gets away on ya. maybe put on the long finger a bit too much but its an extortionate amount to expect any person to pay.

it is but time gets away on ya.maybe put on the long finger a bit too much but its an extortionate amount to expect any person to pay.

This.

It amazes me how people always defend this eflow system, it is nothing short of extortion!

My advice would be to call them and tell them you will pay the fine once they present you with a contract that you have signed. I have heard recently that this has worked for somebody but I'd be skeptical, just a last resort thing maybe?

In my own situation I ended having to haggle them down and pay a substantial amount which was still a fraction of what they were initially looking for. This is probably the best course of action but I only offer the above tentative advice if you cannot afford to pay the reduced fine amount and you've no other options.

Don't bother responding to the people who come on these threads defending eflow's system here, you won't get any advice from them, just further stress and frustration.

This.

i didnt ask for a lecture i asked for guidance. personal reasons is why time got away on me so be careful before yoi criticise someone

• Advertisement

i didnt ask for a lecture i asked for guidance. personal reasons is why time got away on me so be careful before yoi criticise someone

Guidance? With respect here but you've had plenty of chance to settle this before it got this far. Perhaps you had personal stuff that had you distracted and yes it can mess things up but four months on and legal letters to remind you to settle the toll? There's only so many times you can wash your hands of this.

The best guidance is to swallow your pride, call them up with a level head, make your case and pay whatever much it is now before it goes to court. There is an offence to not pay a road roll as well here; that's a day in court as more fines.

Your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My advice would be to call them and tell them you will pay the fine once they present you with a contract that you have signed. I have heard recently that this has worked for somebody but I'd be skeptical, just a last resort thing maybe?

signed with your human name and not your state name, perhaps? freemen thread is thataway

(Do you have to sign a contract to incur a speeding fine? No.
    Do you have to sign a contract before being allowed to use a toll road? No.
    Do you have to sign a contract to incur a fine for using a toll road without paying? I'll give you three guesses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

It amazes me how people always defend this eflow system, it is nothing short of extortion!

With all due respect, that's a load of rubbish which would not help, tolls and the respective penalties are made under Bye-Law pursuant to the Roads Act 1993, they are the law and not subject to any contractual agreement.

RayCun wrote: »
    signed with your human name and not your state name, perhaps? freemen thread is thataway

(Do you have to sign a contract to incur a speeding fine? No.
    Do you have to sign a contract before being allowed to use a toll road? No.
    Do you have to sign a contract to incur a fine for using a toll road without paying? I'll give you three guesses)

Read my full post where I put the advice in to context. I specifically use the word 'tentative' before the word 'advice' for a reason. Also note that I say this is last resort advice. I believe I also used the word skeptical.

GM228 wrote: »
    With all due respect, that's a load of rubbish which would not help, tolls and the respective penalties are made under Bye-Law pursuant to the Roads Act 1993, they are the law and not subject to any contractual agreement.

Did you only read the part of my post that you highlighted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Did you only read the part of my post that you highlighted?

No I read the whole thing, the point that I highlighted was the advice you gave is rubbish - i.e tentatively advising the OP to say they won't pay until they receive a contract they signed. You may have said you were sceptical of it, and it was tentative, so why advise it if not so sure - in any case to clarify I've simply clarified your tentative advice.

GM228 wrote: »
    No I read the whole thing, the point that I highlighted was the advice you gave which is rubbish - i.e advising the OP to say they won't pay until they receive a contract they signed. You may have said you were sceptical of it, so why advise it?

Again the reason for advising it is as a last resort if the OP cannot afford to pay. The OP's only option if they cannot pay is to go to court, if this is the situation they are in then why not try it? They've nothing further to lose by trying. I had heard it worked so why not give the advice with a full disclaimer? Maybe I should just do what everyone else does here and just criticize and be unhelpful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If OP has a debt they can't pay, they should talk to MABS
    Asking for the contract is the equivalent of tearing up the bills as they arrive, which is what has got OP into this mess

RayCun wrote: »
    If OP has a debt they can't pay, they should talk to MABS
    Asking for the contract is the equivalent of tearing up the bills as they arrive, which is what has got OP into this mess

That's actually some good advice, MABS may deal with them directly on the OP's behalf and get an installment plan in place.

Again the reason for advising it is as a last resort if the OP cannot afford to pay. The OP's only option if they cannot pay is to go to court, if this is the situation they are in then why not try it? They've nothing further to lose by trying. I had heard it worked so why not give the advice with a full disclaimer? Maybe I should just do what everyone else does here and just criticize and be unhelpful?

If it goes to court there's the matter of a summons, a day in court, possible fees for legal defence and the risk of a conviction and costs. It is a real risk that will almost certainly cost more than paying up now. It's not easy to accept and it is harsh but that's the reality here; pay now or pay later.

If it goes to court there's the matter of a summons, a day in court, possible fees for legal defence and the risk of a conviction and costs.

If the OP cannot afford to pay they are destined for court regardless. So you can assume that the worst case scenario is in process already.

If the OP cannot afford to pay they are destined for court regardless. So you can assume that the worst case scenario is in process already.

Costs now and no conviction or a conviction, a day out, possible legal fees and more costs awarded against him and a possible prison visit if he still doesn't pay after all this. This can and will get worse. It's his choice and maybe he genuinely can't afford it he needs to address it now, not when it's in front of a judge and counsel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They must have ignored a lot of letters to get to that stage.
    And presumably court if the sheriff was involved? Unless the tolls come under debt to Revenue but I don't think they do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement