Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC build advice

Options
  • 21-07-2015 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all, any advice appreciated. Looking to get a new pc - gaming not the most important so can work around the gfx card. Looking for as quiet a set up as possible too. Also, don't want to order from Hardwareversand.

1. What is your budget? [€700-€1000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Music Production/Video Editing/Gaming]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [120 GB SSD]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Debit/Credit Card/Paypal]

9. When are you purchasing? [In the next 30 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Dublin]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

H97 €80
    Xeon 1231v3 €250
    16gb RAM €100
    Nanoxia DS3 €70
    1tb HDD €50
    500w PSU €60
    GTX 970 €350
    Little under 1k with a €20 Windows key

Can drop GPU way down if you want to.
    Any questions ask away.

Serious gaming machine by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Raven

Thanks for the help - I never really considered a Xeon - can you tell me your thoughts vs i7 here? Also, where are you pricing these components?

Basically the same thing but the Xeon has no iGPU, which is irrelevant as you've a GPU

Priced from HWVS as I know them off, should be fairly similar from amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Anyone i ask in work who has lots of experience with the zeons and i7's have said stay away from the zeon 1231v3 , not because its bad , just simply because of the on board graphics what it saves in watts is not worth it for home pc, only wroth it for enterprise applications
    they recommend if you want to save some money and want a zeon 1245v3 just because it has hyper threading and onboard graphics enabled

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input guys, appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

levitronix wrote: »
    Anyone i ask in work who has lots of experience with the zeons and i7's have said stay away from the zeon 1231v3 , not because its bad , just simply because of the on board graphics what it saves in watts is not worth it for home pc, only wroth it for enterprise applications
    they recommend if you want to save some money and want a zeon 1245v3 just because it has hyper threading and onboard graphics enabled

So the guys in your workplace would recommend the older chip which costs 14% more because it has a IGPU, in a gaming rig with a discreet card that will never use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

There is also the issue that if your gfx card fails, you are **** out of luck with the Xeon. I'd recommend the Xeon to fairly competent PC users who might have quick access to extra components. You are doing some Video editing you mention. Is this professional or a hobby? If it is professional, I would recommend dropping the GPU down a few notches and focusing on funding an i7 for the hyperthreading (allows faster rendering).
    If it is a hobby, get an i5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ilikesheep

Xenoronin wrote: »
    There is also the issue that if your gfx card fails, you are **** out of luck with the Xeon. I'd recommend the Xeon to fairly competent PC users who might have quick access to extra components. You are doing some Video editing you mention. Is this professional or a hobby? If it is professional, I would recommend dropping the GPU down a few notches and focusing on funding an i7 for the hyperthreading (allows faster rendering).
    If it is a hobby, get an i5.

What happens if the processor fails, or the PSU, or the RAM, or the hard drive? I'm sorry but that's a terrible argument for getting a xeon over an i7 in case the graphics card fails.

If the GPU fails get a €30 P.O.S. and test away until you can replace it. OP doesn't have the budget to needlessly get an i7 and let something else be skimped on imo.

• Advertisement

Video editing is a hobby - but the more power the better. I'm not pushed about pc gaming at the moment, in the future I will get some a decent gfx card. I'm not mad about overclocking either as I'd prefer a quieter cooler system. If I cut back to a mid range gfx card I'd save a fair bit. I don't want to buy from HWVS either as I've heard a lot of bad stuff about them reading here.

Can save almost €200 by dropping GPU to an R9 270X, very capable card for gaming, then pick up an i7 4770 or 4790 for €50 more, but it's going to make a negligible impact, if any

Real change is at the i7 4770k or 4790k, which you can then overclock. After adding a cooler they're realistically €130+ more than the Xeon

So the guys in your workplace would recommend the older chip which costs 14% more because it has a IGPU, in a gaming rig with a discreet card that will never use it?

and some of these guys they a thing or two about the architecture, they work where it was made

levitronix wrote: »
    and some of these guys they a thing or two about the architecture, they work where it was made

What's your point?

I thought the two where the same price

Ilikesheep wrote: »
    What happens if the processor fails, or the PSU, or the RAM, or the hard drive? I'm sorry but that's a terrible argument for getting a xeon over an i7 in case the graphics card fails.

There is a difference though. With the PSU, RAM and CPU, it's fairly rare for them to just fail as they are on the hardware failure bucket curve, fail early or fail end of life with very few inbetween. HDD would have the highest failure rate (even though they are technically on the curve too). So in my experience HDD and GPU are the first to go. With the HDD, you can mitigate with pure backups or RAID configurations, hell you even have multiple sticks of RAM in most cases if one fails. Why stop there when there is the option to have that iGPU as your fallback. It's no GPU but at least you can use your computer while you get a new one.

So I disagree, it isn't a terrible argument when you factor in that an iGPU is a built in backup that really is also super helpful for debugging.

im not actually against the zeon, have no experience with it, if it was an option I might try it, but since I ll be able to get a skylake in December at less than half retail its the next route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ilikesheep

Xenoronin wrote: »
    There is a difference though. With the PSU, RAM and CPU, it's fairly rare for them to just fail as they are on the hardware failure bucket curve, fail early or fail end of life with very few inbetween. HDD would have the highest failure rate (even though they are technically on the curve too). So in my experience HDD and GPU are the first to go. With the HDD, you can mitigate with pure backups or RAID configurations, hell you even have multiple sticks of RAM in most cases if one fails. Why stop there when there is the option to have that iGPU as your fallback. It's no GPU but at least you can use your computer while you get a new one.

So I disagree, it isn't a terrible argument when you factor in that an iGPU is a built in backup that really is also super helpful for debugging.

60 euro extra and a lower clock speed. What's the odds of the GPU failing? Low enough I reckon.

Up to him to decide if it's worth it tbh. I think it is honestly. For someone not trying to eek out every last bit of performance out of their PC per euro spent, an i5 or i7 is often a better option than a Xeon.

The odds are low. I just don't like the idea of having a PC that is sitting there not working for lack of a GPU no matter how quick you can pick up a €30 POS. That might be just me.

Back on topic, i think the use cases for this PC are looking towards an i5 honestly. The Xeon won't be worked and neither will an i7. Make a bit of cost saving here and get the 270X like Digital suggested. An i5 4460 would do just fine here and save you a bit.

Advertisement