Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Fault Help

Options
  • 21-07-2015 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

I turned on my PC this morning, the PC booted up as normal and I was about to enter my login password when the PC powered off. I tried to turn on the PC again but nothing happened. Since then the PC just won’t power on at all.

I was on the phone when I first turned the PC on, but I’m certain I didn't hear any unusual beeps from the Motherboard ect. The weird thing is, despite the PC not powering up, there are lights lit on the Motherboard. These are just illumination lights and it’s not posting any codes ect.

There are no lights on the graphics card though. Normally when the PC is turned on, the graphics card light is also turned on. So the only evidence I have of any power are the illumination lights that are lit on the Motherboard.

I have tried the following, I turned off the power supply and checked all the connections, I removed and reseated the graphics card, checked the HD connections, motherboard connections, memory ect and it all seems to be fine.

I tried to turn on the PSU while it was disconnected from everything and nothing happened. The PSU is a Corsair RM850 Gold model and while it is very silent, I would imagine I should hear some life from it when I disconnected everything and turned it on.

I have a feeling the problem is with the PSU, but the fact that it’s powering the illumination lights on my Motherboard is weird. I would really appreciate any help or suggestions with this.

The PC is only 1 year old and it was working prefect up until last night. If it helps, these are the specs...

ASUS Maximus VII HERO - Socket 1150 - Chipset Z97 – ATX

Intel Core i7-4770K Box, LGA1150

Corsair Enthusiast Series RM850, Modular, 80 Plus Gold 850 Watt

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Classified ACX Cooler

Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 250GB SATA 6Gb/s

Seagate Barracuda 7200 3000GB, SATA 6Gb/s

8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL9

ASUS DRW-24F1ST (Bulk) Silent

NZXT Switch 810 Big-Tower White

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gerarda

Motherboard? Have you tried booting up with no RAM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

gerarda wrote: »
    Motherboard? Have you tried booting up with no RAM?

No, I just checked to see if the RAM is seated o.k and it is. Tbh, I have a massive Noctua NH-D15 cooler sitting right over the RAM, so it would be a pain to remove it.

But shouldn't the PC still power up and shouldn't the motherboard still give the relevant beeps if it was a RAM issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Take the graphics card out and use the onboard graphics instead.That will help narrow it down to gpu or psu.

No, I just checked to see if the RAM is seated o.k and it is. Tbh, I have a massive Noctua NH-D15 cooler sitting right over the RAM, so it would be a pain to remove it.

But shouldn't the PC still power up and shouldn't the motherboard still give the relevant beeps if it was a RAM issue?

If you remove the RAM and have the bare minimum devices connected and you don't get any beeps I'd reckon its the motherboard. The fact its not even testing the RAM leads to a motherboard problem?

game4it70 wrote: »
    Take the graphics card out and use the onboard graphics instead.That will help narrow it down to gpu or psu.

I tried that earlier but the PC still won't turn on.
    If you remove the RAM and have the bare minimum devices connected and you don't get any beeps I'd reckon its the motherboard. The fact its not even testing the RAM leads to a motherboard problem?

But wouldn't the motherboard still post beeps or an error code with the RAM in place?

As it is, the PC won't start and the only power I can see are the illumination lights on the motherboard.

• Advertisement

If the motherboard beeps with no RAM installed that means the motherboard should be ok.

If the motherboard beeps with no RAM installed that means the motherboard should be ok.

My brother built the PC for me so I'm a bit nervous to go at it myself. But I'll give it a try, I'll post back later to let you know how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I tried to turn on the PSU while it was disconnected from everything and nothing happened. The PSU is a Corsair RM850 Gold model and while it is very silent, I would imagine I should hear some life from it when I disconnected everything and turned it on.

The RM's fan doesn't spin under light load so you wont hear anything from it while doing that.

O.k. so I removed the RAM and the graphics card and tried to turn on the PC. Once again I got absolutely nothing, no sound, no POST/beeps. It's the very same as this morning, all I have are some red illumination lights on the motherboard and that's it.

If the problem was the motherboard, the PC should still power up but not boot and have a series of beeps. But since nothing at all happens when I press the power button, I think it has to be the PSU. Any further thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

* update *

Still no luck with the PC, just some illumination lights on the MB and that's it. Nothing works, the PC is complete dead apart from the lights. I have done the following.

- Tried out another PSU and I am still getting the same problem.
    - Checked all cable connections.
    - Took out RAM & Graphics card.
    - Replaced CMOS battery.
    - Checked SSD in another PC and it's fine.

Anyone have any other suggestions or is it time for me to contact the MB manufacturer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

* update *

Still no luck with the PC, just some illumination lights on the MB and that's it. Nothing works, the PC is complete dead apart from the lights. I have done the following.

- Replaced CMOS battery.

Anyone have any other suggestions or is it time for me to contact the MB manufacturer?

Do you have the little motherboard speaker connected?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Do you have the little motherboard speaker connected?

Everything has been connected and disconnected to troubleshoot. The computer is completely dead, it does not turn on or boot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

* update *

- Replaced CMOS battery.

If you've done all of the above and you're getting no post & no life from the PC, then yes Tom, I think it is time to return the MB. I suspect you've had a complete MB failure. I also think there is a 3 year warranty with that board, so you should get a replacement MB.

Thanks Corvus, I didn't realise the board had a 3 year warranty.:)

Advertisement